Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
XF S 3.0D V6 18MY Italian Racing Red
7,004 Posts
Help on how to open the boot manually
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I think you need to give people a few more details. Saloon or Sportbrake? Assuming not a powered boot? Signs of a low battery?

Reactions: PetA

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
My x250 has a key hole up under the chrome jaguar plinth on the boot lid. Emergency key in fob. Don't know if yours is the same

·
Registered
90 Posts
Certainly for the X760 XE and the later XFs, Jaguar deleted the emergency physical key lock for the boot and placed total reliance on the electric lock. I guess this was a bean counter "save a few cents per car" initiative but, for a car with a battery under the boot floor, it seems to me to have been a stupid decision.
If the battery fails (and it seems modern ones can go from perfectly fine to no charge at all overnight) you're in a bit of trouble getting at the battery to replace it. Attaching a charger to the terminals under the bonnet has succeeded in many cases in getting enough power to the boot lid lock to open it, but not always. It's worse in the UK because Jaguar also don't fit the emergency inside release handle that they are legally obliged to fit in N America (another bean counter cost saving?). At least with this you can get into the trunk via lowering the back seat, or fishing through the back seat hatch, to release the lid.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
If the main car battery is dead, no amount of pushing buttons on the fob or in the car will open the boot/trunk on the XE. It requires power from the main battery to operate it.
Sorry, that was aimed at the OP. He doesn't mention that there's no power. He doesn't mention anything really, so maybe you're right. I presumed he'd say if the car wasn't running or there were other issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts