Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No-one had any feedback in the "other" forum, maybe someone has some experience here?

I'd like to do a full brake fluid flush on my 06 2.2D with unknown service history...

My youtube feed is now flooding me with horror stories of seized brake bleed nipples. The guys at Kwik-Fit weren't brave enough to crack them open at the risk of snapping/stripping/rounding the nipples.

Q: How often do X Type owners end up with seized brake bleed nipples?

· Registered
205 Posts
I know this isn't much use to you at the moment but, whenever I get a new-to-me car, I go round it, make sure there are rubber caps on the bleed nipples and then paint the nipples and the surrounding area with Hammerite underseal. This stuff never sets completely and keeps moisture out of the threads. As long as the car isn't too old this stops seizing. In your situation with an unknown quantity car, I would put some penetrating fluid on each bleed nipple and leave it for a day or so, then try to undo them. If clearly reluctant to turn I would apply a little heat and try again. Another trick is to tighten the nipple very slightly before trying to loosen it.
If the worst comes to the worst and a nipple shears off then the only real answer is a new caliper. This is not quite as disastrous as it might seem - calipers bought on the aftermarket aren't hugely expensive and there aren't that hard to fit.

· Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Soon as your backs turned, Its like seizing is there job.

• Haha
Reactions: Cornerz

· Registered
337 Posts
13 years of ownership and 4 X's never had a brake nipple seize (touch wood), I always use a deep 6 sided socket to crack them then a spanner for bleeding.

· Registered
6,521 Posts
You can also use malt vinegar to break the seal. Just make sure that you use it before anybody has tried penetrating oil.

Make sure you clean it off as it is a mild acid.

Reactions: FlatCap

· Registered
6,521 Posts
If it has sheared then weld a nut onto the nipple using a mig. The thermal shock also means that the remains of the nipple comes out.

Reactions: FlatCap

· Registered
6,521 Posts
Should probably get myself a mig welder, just in case right? 🤓

A very good excuse to give to your partner to why you just had to buy one.

· Premium Member
25,630 Posts
Instead of buying things you may not need, why not just try it.:unsure:

· Registered
6,521 Posts
Does your wife know mine?

I even offered no sex for 6 months but that did not work! :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Cornerz

· Registered
3,046 Posts
I just bought a set of these. braided hoses on order with stainless fittings, before a fluid change.
Font Rectangle Wood Gas Musical instrument accessory

Reactions: Cornerz and ducmon

· Registered
3,046 Posts
I use this stuff, on all bolts/nuts.
Tin Liquid Fluid Tin can Paint

· Premium Member
25,630 Posts
Reactions: Euan Tausney

· Registered
3,046 Posts
Reactions: JimboV8