Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Well just had a week in Cornwall on holiday and on the way back I have noticed that one of my discs must be ever so slightly warped as I am getting the typical feedback on the steering wheel especially going down hills.
I was wondering what people would recommend for new brakes and if I should change all or just the fronts.
For pads I am thinking about the greenstuff pads from EBC ( does anyone know the discount code we used to get ?)
Their discs seem expensive as I am on a bit of a budget here! Especially when on ebay you get Mintex discs and pads for front £56. The seller has sold like 142 sets so they cant be that bad.
All I want is some decent brakes, they have not been the best on the Jag and the greenstuff pads have been well recommended so would a standard run of the mill disc do a good job?

Any suggestions will be most welcome

thanks

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Eurocarparts have a 30% discount on brakes, they sell a lot of Pagid which are German and OE on a lot of cars, so no quality issues.

Use code DP30 at checkout, delivery is free.

Mintex are pretty common these days, they do sell a lot of those brake boxes, I've never had any trouble with them.

It's usually the fronts that warp, you often get a vibration on the brake pedal when braking, so I'd start with the fronts first, but you can check the disc run out on all corners if you have the patience.
It's worth checking the rears while you're at it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i have just fitted mine front only about an hour ago
i went for delphi from lp1533 pads set and discs bg3537
:) well pleased and didnt cost a bomb either

G

·
I would avoid the Mintex discs and pads - mine have warped after only 14k, and look awful as they have rusted around the hub area.
I bought EBC years ago for an MR2 and they were fantastic; no warping and no rusting (from memory, although I have sought to clarify this in another post) - so I would recommend EBC.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eurocarparts have a 30% discount on brakes, they sell a lot of Pagid which are German and OE on a lot of cars, so no quality issues.

Use code DP30 at checkout, delivery is free.

Mintex are pretty common these days, they do sell a lot of those brake boxes, I've never had any trouble with them.

It's usually the fronts that warp, you often get a vibration on the brake pedal when braking, so I'd start with the fronts first, but you can check the disc run out on all corners if you have the patience.
It's worth checking the rears while you're at it.
Thanks Goudy, the discount code is well worth it. I did look at Euro parts earlier but did not know this brand Pagid. Certainly worth considering now with 30% off. Good thing is Euro parts are more or less on the way home for me so come Friday I might have to get me some. For the price I might change all four corners.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I have EBC turbo groove discs and red stuff pads, they look good and don't rust. I also enjoy the performance, they always feel strong and get stronger as they get hot with use rather than fade.

Not exactly cheap though I admit but it's nice to know they're their if the proverbial hits the fan :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use red stuff pads and standard cheap as chips discs from the local factors, work great and cant tell any difference with the cheap discs than the ebc grooved except the grooved were really noisy, wouldn't buy them again.

G

·
Are the discs and pads easy to change yourself on this car? I have everything I think I need (but no disc puller - but i dont know if thats required?)...

·
Registered
865 Posts
titto, yes they are easy to change, start with the fronts, should give you confidence for the rear. No puller required, if the discs won't budge, and you are going to replace them ayway, you can tap the inside face of the disc with a heavy hammer, turning the disc frequently while tapping. When fitting the new disc, use copper grease to help prevent sticking next time. The pistons simply push in at the front axle, just watch no fluid is displaced out of the reservoir. Check out the HOW TO links..great help

·
Registered
17,905 Posts
I'm with bigbear on this one having used ebc turbo grooved discs and redstuff pads on my X type. Since then I would never fit anything else to my XJ as far as pads are concerned.If you like cleaning wheels due to brake dust dont buy redstuff.If you don't like cleaning wheels and want brakes that wont fade get redstuff. Bear in mind they last a lot longer than std pads so they save you in the long run. The same pads on my x type lasted 3yrs until it was sold and still had most of the pad material after years of very enthusiastic driving. Same with the XJ still loads of pad left after 3 yrs of even more enthusiastic driving.Just bought the fantastic Mintex discs to compliment the redstuff pads which are more than adequate with the pads doing the hard work. Coat of high temp paint on visible non braking surfaces and you have a far cheaper set of discs that wont rust in the grooves where the pads dont contact the surface which was the let down on the ebc turbo grooved discs on my x type with the zinc coating wearing off due to the heat.

G

·
Can anyone provide me with the correct torque settings please for the job....including correct wheel nut torque - there are so many opinions that i've read that I'm unsure what is right or wrong!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I agree with Buck - it was his recommendation that made me switch to EBC turbo grooved and Red stuff pads. So much better than the standard brakes. I just need to fit my stainless steel brake lines now.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
My EBC brakes :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.