Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had both front and back brake pads replaced along with the discs on the 24th March this year at my Jaguar centre because it was my MOT date. Now I have just had the car in for a major service (27th Nov) and where I go with mine, they also do a video of your tyre wear and approximate brake pad wear. Now this has come back as 20% wear on all pads and I have only done 3819 miles in that time. Does this sound about right? I'm thinking this sound like, to me, excessive wear on such low milage. Any opinions?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi, if they are Jaguar pads I wouldn't be surprised, they seem to wear very quickly hence the large amount of dust. Phil

·
Premium Member
23,823 Posts
All lot will depend on your own driving style and make up of the pads but you would be close to 20k miles, based on your figures, before you had nothing left.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The 20% wear is only an estimate based on a quick look by the tech. He doesn't measure them. Dont worry about it.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
harder pads would give sharper braking and faster disk wear. As Glenno says, its only a guesstimate from the tech and has no bearing on reality. In truth it may be closer to 10% which would seem more reasonable. Much depends on where and how you drive anyway. Ignore it until the light comes on and just enjoy the car.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
harder pads would give sharper braking and faster disk wear.
I took a look into this for my cars and found the OE pads to be about the grippiest pads available for all three of my cars. Manufacturers don't just buy the cheapest items for the primary functions.

If changing pads for something else, try and find out what type of pad the manufacturer chose to be aware of the change you will make by using a different pad compound. For my applications all aftermarket pads had lower friction ratings which means that they require more pedal pressure. As a result, I found them a little harder to modulate accurately. Also if you put a less grippy pad on at the front, the brake balance changes which is not ideal in an emergency situation as the ABS/DSC has been calibrated for the standard combination.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
Hi, I used to buy EBC Redstuff pads, but have found that the EBC Ultimate pads are just as good and about half the price. Phil
http://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/index.php
All of these two pads that I've seen have the friction grades FF stamped on them, so there is no significant performance difference between them. Both fall in the solid mid ground. The Redstuff are supposed to be low-dust.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I took a look into this for my cars and found the OE pads to be about the grippiest pads available for all three of my cars. Manufacturers don't just buy the cheapest items for the primary functions.

If changing pads for something else, try and find out what type of pad the manufacturer chose to be aware of the change you will make by using a different pad compound. For my applications all aftermarket pads had lower friction ratings which means that they require more pedal pressure. As a result, I found them a little harder to modulate accurately. Also if you put a less grippy pad on at the front, the brake balance changes which is not ideal in an emergency situation as the ABS/DSC has been calibrated for the standard combination.
Just fitted Pagid pads to the rear of the BILs Sportbrake. His comment was that braking was much smoother as a result.
Modern brakes have the ability to lock all 4 wheels effortlessly anyway so backing off a bit with softer pads will have no detrimental effect on stopping distances or overall braking ability. I run Pagid on all my cars. they are reasonably priced and I've never had a problem.
The ABS/DSC simply monitors wheel speed and adjusts braking pressure accordingly. After all, water on the brakes, different road surfaces, temperatures etc will affect how hard it needs to apply braking pressure far more than the pad material so it needs to be adaptive to any condition.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
Just fitted Pagid pads to the rear of the BILs Sportbrake. His comment was that braking was much smoother as a result.
Modern brakes have the ability to lock all 4 wheels effortlessly anyway so backing off a bit with softer pads will have no detrimental effect on stopping distances or overall braking ability. I run Pagid on all my cars. they are reasonably priced and I've never had a problem.
The ABS/DSC simply monitors wheel speed and adjusts braking pressure accordingly. After all, water on the brakes, different road surfaces, temperatures etc will affect how hard it needs to apply braking pressure far more than the pad material so it needs to be adaptive to any condition.
Agree - probably no pad is dangerous and stopping distance for a given car is basically a function of the tyre these days. Pad material changes the feel of the brakes and there is a personal component there. However, simply comparing old with new in everyday driving is not a particularly helpful metric. I noticed a huge drop off in braking power on the TüV braking test between OEM and aftermarket (TRW in my case) for my XKR and hence looked into pads a bit more closely.

Remember, ABS mainly works my removing pressure. There are few situations Water and ambient temps are rather insignificant compared to how quickly water boils off discs and the actual working temps of the brake surfaces. Any decent pad will work more or less fine but maybe not as well as the system was designed and calibrated for. Here is a good article on the relationships: http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/brake-myths-abs-esc-replacement-brake-pads/

·
Registered
818 Posts
Just a quick question about brake pads and the wear sensors ...

Are the wear sensors universal ? IE :- if you replace the Jag pads with EBC do you need EBC wear sensors, If you have EBC pads and replace with brembo do you need brembo sensors etc

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
The pads are designed to suit the sensor cables. Any sensor cable that matches the Jaguar part number for your car will work with any pad suitable for your car. The sensor cables are available from a number of "brands" but they should all be the same for a given Jaguar part number.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The pads are designed to suit the sensor cables. Any sensor cable that matches the Jaguar part number for your car will work with any pad suitable for your car. The sensor cables are available from a number of "brands" but they should all be the same for a given Jaguar part number.
Thanks for that I figured they would be universal but just wanted to confirm

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
All of these two pads that I've seen have the friction grades FF stamped on them, so there is no significant performance difference between them. Both fall in the solid mid ground. The Redstuff are supposed to be low-dust.
There is no noticeable difference between these pads as far as brake dust goes, the Ultimate certainly stop my car in a very timely fashion. Phil

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
There is no noticeable difference between these pads as far as brake dust goes, the Ultimate certainly stop my car in a very timely fashion. Phil
My experience with Redstuff was also nothing special. Certainly not high-dust but not really noticably different. Mainly, I did not like their cold performance. The Jurid pads (coded 233 and 310 and GG rated) Jaguar uses on some models is noticably better.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Agree - probably no pad is dangerous and stopping distance for a given car is basically a function of the tyre these days. Pad material changes the feel of the brakes and there is a personal component there. However, simply comparing old with new in everyday driving is not a particularly helpful metric. I noticed a huge drop off in braking power on the TüV braking test between OEM and aftermarket (TRW in my case) for my XKR and hence looked into pads a bit more closely.

Remember, ABS mainly works my removing pressure. There are few situations Water and ambient temps are rather insignificant compared to how quickly water boils off discs and the actual working temps of the brake surfaces. Any decent pad will work more or less fine but maybe not as well as the system was designed and calibrated for. Here is a good article on the relationships: http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/brake-myths-abs-esc-replacement-brake-pads/
Interesting article but I'm not convinced by their conclusion.
As they say, the system uses a feedback loop to assess and adjust the braking force required and it does this 100 times a second. Given the systems are reacting to a break in traction, there are so many factors involved (tyres, weather and even the initial heat in the brakes affecting the bite/fade effectiveness of the pads) plus remember the numbers are based on factory new brakes, not 25,000 mile pads and slightly scored, past their best disks and whilst as you rightly say, water will boil off a disk pretty much instantly, a cold wet disk will still provide less effective initial (.01 sec) braking than a recently used (warm) dry one. Not noticeable by the driver as the article says, but probably noticeable by the computer and requiring slight pressure adjustment. That said, the tyres traction will have changed several times in that same moment so it would need to recalculate anyway. (My mercs SBC would gently apply the brakes Uncommanded as you drove if the wipers were on, to ensure the brakes were kept dry. So water must have an impact.)
Hence such systems are always going to be based on very rough estimates initially until the first feedback data arrives to base realistic calculations on. So whilst I guess the first 5-10 hundredths of a second may be slightly awry due to a change in compound, factored in with all the other variables, I can't see the overall effect having any impact on the overall result.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
As usual ask a hundred people which pads to fit and you will get a hundred different answers. Phil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.