Break disc / front wheel bearing

karl1

Reaction score
My Jag / Daimler series 3 has a problem with the front brake disc not running true.

My first thought was that the brake disc maybe warped due to being stood for 29 years.

How ever I change the disc today and even without the brake pads in it would hit the brake calliper after just half a turn.

Im wondering if it could be the hub itself or the inner bearing?

Also two shims fell out when I removed the front brake calliper. One seems thicker than the other????

Where do the go and in what order?

Fraser

Reaction score
Can you post a photo or two please. It's a very long time since I fiddled around with a Series 3, owned for 14 years. As I remember, the steering arm on the upright (or hub carrier has to be loosened off or removed to get the caliper off. Shims were used by Jaguar to adjust the caliper laterally, but you'd expect to see equal amounts on each securing bolt. All this was to make up for rather poor workshop practices in the Jaguar factory.

There is also a quite thick washer, (or "shim") on the lower bolt holding the steering arm. It fits between the upright and the steering arm. If you leave this out and just bolt it all up this arm can break even though it is a forging.