Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
17,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this was out of the blue!

Left the house this afternoon and travelled the 20 miles approx. to visit my aunt in Bridge of Allan, stopped off at her favourite café to purchase a couple of bacon rolls / latte etc as you do.

I got back tot he car and put the key in the ignition as I've done a thousand times before and turned......nothing. I turned the key back to the off position and tried again.....nothing!

At this point I wasn't too worried, turned the ignition off again and removed the key.......WHAT IN GODS NAME??

The key fob had came away and the blade portion of the key was still in the barrel, or at least the 10mm or so that was visible :cry::cry:

This isn't good I thought..............

I collected the items form the café and asked, is there a DIY or general goods store around? NO, was the answer, you'll have to go into Stirling for that
Great, I thought heading back to the car.....

I'm thinking to myself, I have everything I could ever need in the boot ( probably as I have most things there ) and so looked, I knew I had a few multi tools somewhere and perhaps a pair of pliers too. I did find a small basic DIY Toolkit that had a small pair of pliers as part of it and removed them.

I used them to grab hold of the 10mm of blade from the key I could see and turned to the right and ( almost said a prayer - I'm an atheist, so didn't but instead said nice things to the car gods ) she started right up thankfully :-D

At this point and not overly concerned, just annoyed I went to my aunts and visited with her for a few hours, then when ready to leave, I knew I'd be going through a similar procedure.....not the case.
When I did, I inserted the blade and tried as before but it was not happening, instead the dash lit up with red warnings lights, "steering column locked" and "Parkbrake fault" being 2 of them, but no matter what I did, the car would not start.

A quick call to my daughter who went to my house and retrieved the spare key and drove it though arriving some 40 mins later. I have to say I put the spare into the ignition and tried with trepidation somewhat, but.....she fired right up no issues.

See attached pic of broken key......

Always something lol
Jim

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Jim. When you get it fixed it may be prudent to alternate the use of keys to avoid the same thing happening again.

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Sorry to see that Jim. Cannot remember seeing one break like that.
Glad to see you had the spare at least.

Roger

· Premium Member
17,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear about this Jim. When you get it fixed it may be prudent to alternate the use of keys to avoid the same thing happening again.
Yeah, could be Jim

Not exactly the end of the world, a wee mini adventure so to speak lol

Onwards n upwards
Jim

· Premium Member
17,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to see that Jim. Cannot remember seeing one break like that.
Glad to see you had the spare at least.

Roger
Thanks Roger, me too

Now need to go and get my new "spare" key fixed lol

Jim

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Hey, Jim, are you sure you're not being a wee bit brutal when you turn that key to start the engine ?
I have to say I have never seen a post on this problem on either Jag forum before. I'll have to go and check my keys rightaway !

Edit
Just checked my two keys and all seems OK !

· Premium Member
17,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, Jim, are you sure you're not being a wee bit brutal when you turn that key to start the engine ?
I have to say I have never seen a post on this problem on either Jag forum before. I'll have to go and check my keys rightaway !

Edit
Just checked my two keys and all seems OK !
Hi Fraser, ok so I'm a big guy, 6'3" and built, but turning a key is turning a key lol

That said, I do wonder a little......

If you recall I had that sticky ignition when I bought the car and for some time thereafter. Put the key in the ignition and turn to position I and then it was tight / tough to turn but I was used to it.
To be fair it was at the point where anyone like mechanics or sometimes tyre fitters would look at me blankly and I'd have to start the car for them

That was fixed quite some time ago, maybe a year or so ago, but I'm wondering if it's caused stress / weakness in the blade causing it to shear like that?
It's a possibility I suppose

Jim

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,424 Posts
Squeaky bum time, but good job the spare worked ok. Hopefully the barrel isn’t sticky with that also?
It would be rubbish to go to the 2 key route

· Registered
640 Posts
Timpsons do a non remote transponder key that can be 'hidden' somewhere in the car for days like this, not expensive.
https://www.timpson.co.uk/services/car-keys

I would think your car did not start the second time was because the transponder was too far from the ignition.

EDIT

New blades can be ordered from the bay with a photo or decode the cut outs, and fitted to the old remote by knocking out the roll pin.
Example here with a link how to decode key https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLIP-KEY...-P-/252882219666?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Jim has the little grub screw that holds the blade in come loose or fell out ?
Take a closer look, the key snapped.

Roger

· Premium Member
2,031 Posts
This really is a new one Jim. Where did the key shaft snap - was it at the roll pin indent ?

· Registered
984 Posts
Take a closer look, the key snapped.
I could be wrong but it doesn't look snapped to me, more like the roll pin has fallen out and the key shaft has just detached from the main body? Like this:

Cosmetics Font Wood Metal Tool

Attachments

· Registered
2,042 Posts
The key hasn't snapped , its just become loose / worn where the retaining pin keeps it located.

If you get a blank tibbe ford piece you have to file a little slot in yourself.

The reason it didn't start the second time is because the transponder wasn't next to the barrel when you went to position 2 with your pliers.

I have a 3 button ford key programmed as a spare for mine as well as the 2 flip keys.

I have to admit that I find the amount of turning force required in the XJ a bit more than I'd like .......... ;-)

· Premium Member
17,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses....

It's a combination of a poorly worded post from me and the fact that you're right and I'm wrong, but the situation is still the same as is......I've attached another couple of pics so you can more clearly see where the damage has taken place.

Unsure if it's salvageable or not

Thanks
Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.