Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

New Member here... Just bought a 54 plate X-Type 2.5 AWD this morning.
Metallic BR Green with Aero kit and smart 18" alloys. Looks the dog's.
Very pleased, done 150 miles and no complaints. Great car.

When I got home and switched the engine off, I could hear a buzzing sound coming from behind the central air vents.
It was still there 10 minutes later... What on earth is it?
I'm guessing it's something straight forward - but I'm no Jag expert!

Also, really I wanted a 3.0 litre, but the look of this one swung it.
Is there anything I can do without breaking the bank to get a bit more bhp?
It doesn't feel as quick as the 2.5 V6 MG ZT I've just sold...

Also... :-D
The rubber trims running along both rear doors (at the bases of the window apertures) are severely bubbled; I assume rust underneath on the door metal. Odd, but the front ones are ok... Can I buy replacements from anywhere? It's the only visible fault on the body work. Seems a shame not to sort it out.

Thanks anyone who can help!

·
Registered
357 Posts
That noise is most likely coming from the 4 or 5 small slits in the dash to the Left of the Steering wheel. It is a cabin temperature sensor fan, or something like that. Someone will be along soon to tell you the correct name for it.

If it is too loud, a short blast or two from a can of compressed air can sometimes lower the noise, it did with mine. Do NOT use an air hose though, way too powerful.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Search on here for those window rubbers - several people have said how they found a replacement / refurbished them...

For that air sensor - try a straw and puff hard - if not then can of compressed air...
And enjoy it - best of luck

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Waist seals is the word, and the air sampling fan runs on for quite a while after key out, and is prone to clogging up!

·
Registered
357 Posts
As you are in Pontefract, I would suggest a trip to Leeds to see Mark Burton, Bertieboy9 on this Forum. He is a great, Honest Jag X-Type Indy who does 99% X-Types and has several in for breaking.

I got a set of Waist Gate Seals off his recently that were on a scrapper, great condition, he even fitted them for me too. It is the Waist Gate Seals themselves that are Aluminium, that is oxidizing, the Door skin will almost certainly be perfect underneath.

The kettle is always on, just take along a packet of Jaffa Cakes....lol

PM me if you would like his details.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Well, it is a scandal how expensive they are! :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree. When I got the price from Jaguar, I had to confirm that it was just for the seals and did not include the complete Door......

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Where on earth did I get the 'gate' from....lol

You are correct, Waist Seals.....
because you'll find a "waste gate" on a turbo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a "scandal+" that they add £20 on top of an already steep price (£37 each) for P&P!
I've learned my lesson... Next time I'll wait until I've had some replies before firing up Google and my credit card!! Never mind...

I just need to refurbish the wheels and get some minor blemishes off the body work, and it will be good enough for me to feel comfortable uploading some photos for you lot to critique...:?
Anyone know anyone near to me who does a good job on alloys and/or bodywork?

Thanks to all who've replied. This site is such a good idea for car-numpties like me.
I love cars, but know **** about maintaining them. I'm a garage owners dream.
I certainly was owning 4 MG-ZTs over the past 8 years, cost me thousands... :shock: (as much as I loved them)
I might get another when I can afford one with a Ford V8 engine, but you can keep the KV6 and it's poxy manifolds, water pumps, thermostats, cooling fans, timing belts, throttle bodies, head gaskets, fuel pumps, cam-bus wiring (...need I go on, point made...???)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It's a "scandal+" that they add £20 on top of an already steep price (£37 each) for P&P!
I've learned my lesson... Next time I'll wait until I've had some replies before firing up Google and my credit card!! Never mind...

I just need to refurbish the wheels and get some minor blemishes off the body work, and it will be good enough for me to feel comfortable uploading some photos for you lot to critique...:?
Anyone know anyone near to me who does a good job on alloys and/or bodywork?
Thanks to all who've replied. This site is such a good idea for car-numpties like me.
I love cars, but know **** about maintaining them. I'm a garage owners dream.
I certainly was owning 4 MG-ZTs over the past 8 years, cost me thousands... :shock: (as much as I loved them)
I might get another when I can afford one with a Ford V8 engine, but you can keep the KV6 and it's poxy manifolds, water pumps, thermostats, cooling fans, timing belts, throttle bodies, head gaskets, fuel pumps, cam-bus wiring (...need I go on, point made...???)
That's the drama the Postage and packing. Bought some for my mondeo st years ago full set about £45. When I replace the passenger side I'll order them from the local dealer and pick them up.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
It's a "scandal+" that they add £20 on top of an already steep price (£37 each)
£37? That's cheap compared to the rear quarters I need at about £85 each.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
That's a bit better but still a rip off.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Sod it, I've just bought them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.