C Types on the road

lowebird

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many people on this forum own or are building a C Type, either a factory original or a recreation? :D

Darthviper

Reaction score
I just purchased a Ctype recreation and I love it.
I am looking for events to meet other Jaguar owners.
I live in Rye NY.

lowebird

Reaction score
Darthviper,
Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been away, so is that Rye, New York? If so, it's a bit far for a day trip!!! What C Type do you have? I am still awaiting the birth of mine, it is due for delivery some time next year. Mine is a Suffolk C Type with full aluminium body made by Shapecraft. I have specified a 3.4ltr engine with 2 SU carbs just like the original.
I am trying to get it as close to the 1952 Mille Miglia car as possible and to that end I have contacted Jaguar Heritage who confirmed the exact colour scheme for me. Dolet me know how you get on.
Reg.

Darthviper

Reaction score
Darthviper,
Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been away, so is that Rye, New York? If so, it's a bit far for a day trip!!! What C Type do you have? I am still awaiting the birth of mine, it is due for delivery some time next year. Mine is a Suffolk C Type with full aluminium body made by Shapecraft. I have specified a 3.4ltr engine with 2 SU carbs just like the original.
I am trying to get it as close to the 1952 Mille Miglia car as possible and to that end I have contacted Jaguar Heritage who confirmed the exact colour scheme for me. Dolet me know how you get on.
Reg.

My car is a replica of a 1953 CType, and I purchased it from Fantasy Junction in California.
It has 4500 miles, it is Ecurie Ecosse Bleu, it has a full aluminium body, it came with a 3.8 liter engine, two Weber Carburators, and the seller claimed that it
develops 300 HP.
It is then different from and engine point of view to the original.
I like the car very much, it is right hand drive, and it takes some time to get used to it.
I love the shape of the car, I always believed the cars of the 50s and 60s are among the most beautiful, and this C Type is no exception.
Of course the driving experience is totally different from any other car that I have, or have driven.
What is a Suffolk C Type?
I will google it but your reply will probably be more complete.
And yes, it is Rye, New York.
Where is home to you?

lowebird

Reaction score
Darthviper,

Thanks for your reply. Your C sounds as if it will be a whole lot faster than mine. The engine has been rebuilt by Vintage Sports Car Engines and on twin SU's produced 160bhp on the dyno which, as I am buying the car mainly for it's beauty, will be more than enough to loose my licence.
The Suffolk "C" type www.SS100 is as near as you can get to the real thing without selling your house. They use the original Jaguar plans so the dimensions are absolutely correct. They also use a shortened MK2 rear axle and torsion bar suspension so as to replicate the original as best they can. I have previously owned one of their SS100 replicas which was brilliant, there is a good video on u-tube of Jay Leno driving one built by Fraser at XK's Unlimited. I have also had a 1964 E Type OTS and am currently running a Morgan +4 which I absolutely love.

I live in the UK in the middle of the Norfolk Broads which is an area of lakes, rivers and fantastic quiet driving roads. I am in complete agreement with you about 50'sand 60's cars, I suppose it's an age thing as these are the cars I grew up with.
Do keep in touch, it's always nice to chat to someone from the other side of the pond.

lowebird

Reaction score
Going by the number of replies I guess that, either there are not that many "C" types out there or the owners aren't on this forum which is a shame

Tony1066

Reaction score
Only 4 years since the last post! Sorry to have been so slow....I have a C Type replica. It was built from a Realm kit, and used a Daimler(!) Sovereign (XJ6 Series 3) as the donor. So in brief, the engine is 4.2 running Megasquirt fuel injection through modified triple SU carbs as throttle bodies, a 5 speed Supra 'box and XJ6 front and rear suspension and brakes, although it has dummy drums on the rear to fill the wheels. It is Ecurie Ecosse blue with red seats and tonneau. It was built to a high standard (not by me!) and were it not for Covid, would have taken my son and I to Le Mans Classic this year, we're already booked for next year!