C16 RKC's Daimler Super V8 project thread!

J.J.X.T

Reaction score
Having used car supermarkets before, I also know they don't tend to prepare their cars very well - particular inside. Lindsey's XF was very dusty, and had grime in every recess when we collected it; despite paying for their £250 "detail" and "ceramic protection" deal. But when we collected this Lexus from the main dealer, it was absolutely spotless. If it had new plates on it I would have been completely convinced it was a brand new car. I know this is a Jaguar forum, and so this might be a bit inappropriate for me to say... but Lexus really do have a good way of customer focus, and we were treated like royalty for our visit. Much better than how we tended to get ignored and sneered at when we visited Marshall Jaguar in Peterborough...
Agree with you about car supermarkets, I always come away very non plussed whenever I visit one - you're lucky if you can actually get anyone's attention, the cars are often not the best examples and not that well presented - definitely a quantity not quality approach to selling cars. Most seem to whack on an 'Admin Fee' for reasons that are hard to justify. Had mixed experiences with Jag dealers, our local one is not bad but their cars seem overpriced. Went to one in Derby last year to look at an XF no follow up at all or even a px price on mine!

Lexus seem to have a consistently good reputation for customer satisfaction and that looks a very smart example that you have bagged. Think other brands could learn a thing or two!

Demand for used cars seems high at the moment - they reckon that some people have spare money as they haven't been able to go on holiday so are splashing out on cars instead. Doesn't look like that will change anytime soon so you should be able to dispose of the surplus stock in your fleet without too much trouble:)

C16RKC

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Well I had one strange evening...

Someone phoned about my advert for our Audi yesterday, foreign voice, but seemed quite interested. But said they'd call again about coming to visit.

So they phoned again this morning, and arranged to come look at the car at 6pm. All seemed fine.

6pm came and went, and then they phoned at 6:40pm to say they were 10 minutes away.

Still no sign of them at 7pm, so we started to have dinner. My back was against our front window, but Lindsey was facing me and said a car went past, we wondered if it could be our potential buyers, but they went past a bit too quickly so which made us think it was just a resident.

But then a car came back the other direction, right past our house, slowing. A couple of minutes later 3 Arab looking men walked past and up our drive. I went out to meet them, but I confess I was a little nervous dealing with 3 other men.

They seemed very friendly, all had a look at Aston's Daimler, and they asked if it was for sale; I said no.

Then they looked around the Audi, seeming impressed. "Very tidy car" one of them said. He then went to the drivers door, and pulled the bonnet release, before lifting the bonnet. Meanwhile another went to the boot, beckoned me over to ask about the battery, and explained that when these cars suffer damage from the rear, the boot internals get damaged and can't be repaired. He also asked about the battery, and said the boot was lovely and big.

So then I was asked if they could start the engine. I started it up for them. One of them reached into the car and stopped/started it 4 timed. He said it did not sound quite right.

Before I could think, he was in the car, closed the drivers door, and I had to scrabble to get in before he pulled away. I usually drive the car for people and they rarely ask to have a drive these days - this certainly caught me off guard!

He sped off at a hell of a pace, no seat-belt. Car chiming away with the belt minder. I said take it steady, and asked him to put his seat belt on - and he did so. But he flew down the road at speed, I was feeling very nervous. I said could he keep the speed down, as there are often police in the area.

He said the engine sounded funny, then he did a 3 point turn in the road, and took the car to our house. His test drive could not have been more than 2 minutes.

He came into our drive at a hell of a pace, stopped sharply, and leapt out of the car, popped thd bonnet open and was looking at the engine. I foolishly left the key in the ignition, and as I got out of the car he beckoned me over with the oil filler cap in his hand.

He told me to look, and I could really see nothing wrong. Then another chap told me to look at the back of the engine, "it's leaking oil" he said. I peered in, but I could not see anything.

But then the first chap told me to look at the water header tank. He unscrewed the lid and revealed thick oil all over it. I was shocked.

Something did not feel right and I wanted rid of them. I said sorry, and I'd have to get the car checked over. But then another had walked to the back of the car and wanted to show me something - there appeared to be thick black oil coming out of the exhaust.

I'm no mechanic, but I felt this was not even possible, and now I really smelt a rat and wanted them to go.

They told me the car was a write off, they were very pushy. They said it has a cracked cylinder, and would cost £5,000 to repair.

Then one of them said he had a crash damaged car the same, but with a good engine, and would be interested in buying mine, despite the fault. He asked how much.

I said no thank-you, I'd rather get the car checked by my own garage, but they did not take no for an answer easily, and it took a while before the finally stopped pushing to buy it.

They then turned nasty, said they had travelled a long way, and asked for fuel money. Again I refused, and they finally left.

As I got back into the house and watched them leave, it finally made sense why they had parked to far away. By the time I had made it outside to see if I could see their plates, they were already gone.

Lindsey posted it on Facebook, and it turns out they have tried it on two other households in our village...

When I inspected the car, I quickly found the oil only went a couple of inches up the exhaust, and the oil was only in the filler neck of the coolant header tank, so they must have sprayed it in while distracting me. But what a pain now having to clean it out...

I felt such an idiot! But thank goodness they left. Hopefully this might help others to avoid the same experience!

ColinG

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Heard of this type of car inspection/scam, fortunately you were savvy enough Chris to suspect them. I probably would have felt intimidated if x3 men turned up to view my car too, lucky escape...

JimC64

Reaction score

Someone phoned about my advert for our Audi yesterday, foreign voice, but seemed quite interested. But said they'd call again about coming to visit.

So they phoned again this morning, and arranged to come look at the car at 6pm. All seemed fine.

6pm came and went, and then they phoned at 6:40pm to say they were 10 minutes away.

Still no sign of them at 7pm, so we started to have dinner. My back was against our front window, but Lindsey was facing me and said a car went past, we wondered if it could be our potential buyers, but they went past a bit too quickly so which made us think it was just a resident.

But then a car came back the other direction, right past our house, slowing. A couple of minutes later 3 Arab looking men walked past and up our drive. I went out to meet them, but I confess I was a little nervous dealing with 3 other men.

They seemed very friendly, all had a look at Aston's Daimler, and they asked if it was for sale; I said no.

Then they looked around the Audi, seeming impressed. "Very tidy car" one of them said. He then went to the drivers door, and pulled the bonnet release, before lifting the bonnet. Meanwhile another went to the boot, beckoned me over to ask about the battery, and explained that when these cars suffer damage from the rear, the boot internals get damaged and can't be repaired. He also asked about the battery, and said the boot was lovely and big.

So then I was asked if they could start the engine. I started it up for them. One of them reached into the car and stopped/started it 4 timed. He said it did not sound quite right.

Before I could think, he was in the car, closed the drivers door, and I had to scrabble to get in before he pulled away. I usually drive the car for people and they rarely ask to have a drive these days - this certainly caught me off guard!

He sped off at a hell of a pace, no seat-belt. Car chiming away with the belt minder. I said take it steady, and asked him to put his seat belt on - and he did so. But he flew down the road at speed, I was feeling very nervous. I said could he keep the speed down, as there are often police in the area.

He said the engine sounded funny, then he did a 3 point turn in the road, and took the car to our house. His test drive could not have been more than 2 minutes.

He came into our drive at a hell of a pace, stopped sharply, and leapt out of the car, popped thd bonnet open and was looking at the engine. I foolishly left the key in the ignition, and as I got out of the car he beckoned me over with the oil filler cap in his hand.

He told me to look, and I could really see nothing wrong. Then another chap told me to look at the back of the engine, "it's leaking oil" he said. I peered in, but I could not see anything.

But then the first chap told me to look at the water header tank. He unscrewed the lid and revealed thick oil all over it. I was shocked.

Something did not feel right and I wanted rid of them. I said sorry, and I'd have to get the car checked over. But then another had walked to the back of the car and wanted to show me something - there appeared to be thick black oil coming out of the exhaust.

I'm no mechanic, but I felt this was not even possible, and now I really smelt a rat and wanted them to go.

They told me the car was a write off, they were very pushy. They said it has a cracked cylinder, and would cost £5,000 to repair.

Then one of them said he had a crash damaged car the same, but with a good engine, and would be interested in buying mine, despite the fault. He asked how much.

I said no thank-you, I'd rather get the car checked by my own garage, but they did not take no for an answer easily, and it took a while before the finally stopped pushing to buy it.

They then turned nasty, said they had travelled a long way, and asked for fuel money. Again I refused, and they finally left.

As I got back into the house and watched them leave, it finally made sense why they had parked to far away. By the time I had made it outside to see if I could see their plates, they were already gone.

Lindsey posted it on Facebook, and it turns out they have tried it on two other households in our village...

When I inspected the car, I quickly found the oil only went a couple of inches up the exhaust, and the oil was only in the filler neck of the coolant header tank, so they must have sprayed it in while distracting me. But what a pain now having to clean it out...

I felt such an idiot! But thank goodness they left. Hopefully this might help others to avoid the same experience!
This is a scam that's going about Chris, usually at least 2 maybe 3 men and up to exactly the tricks you mention

Shame you didn't get their plates to report them.

Cheers
Jim

Mackem159

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
You are the second person this week to post about this Chris

NM_OLD

Reaction score

Poster with the same problem yesterday was going to inform the police. I doubt you'll get a visit but I'd do the same.

J.J.X.T

Reaction score
Seem to be an endless number of scammers about at the moment up to all sorts of cons. I think we tend to assume that people we encounter will have the same moral codes as us but sadly there are a lot of scumbags out there!