Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have V6's, V8's, two V4 Honda's I always have liked the off beat tickover they give you.

So: How about a V8 Motorcycle?

https://pgmv8.com.au/

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
..or a 48 cylinder double "W" or something. It's in the Guinness book of records and I understand it actually ran - but probably didn't go round corners!
I've no idea how Simon Whitelock, the builder, made a crankcase to accommodate the 48 cylinders.

View attachment 25183 View attachment 25184

Ian C

·
Registered
169 Posts
E.J.Potter was the first man to put a V8 into a motorbike, that's him of the Michigan Mad man. He tells a good story of how he tried to use nos in a engine and blew the lot over a barn. I met him once when he came to visit a friend of mine, we all are followers of Tractor Pulling.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
..or a 48 cylinder double "W" or something. It's in the Guinness book of records and I understand it actually ran - but probably didn't go round corners!
I've no idea how Simon Whitelock, the builder, made a crankcase to accommodate the 48 cylinders.

Ian C
A very interesting project for sure , he must have had a mountain of issues to overcome !

He must of also had a very good supply chain of KH250 engines , I imagine he broke a few along the way too.

http://www.bigbikeriders.com/48cyl.htm

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't see a bank of 2 stroke engines being particularly successfull with all the exhaust ports feeding into one lump of tube somehow. Must have done wonders for the cylinder scavenging...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

Ian C
Even a standard Kawasaki KH didn't like corners, it's why the KH750 got the nickname 'the widowmaker' :D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have V6's, V8's, two V4 Honda's I always have liked the off beat tickover they give you.

So: How about a V8 Motorcycle?

https://pgmv8.com.au/
Flatplane crank V8 though isn't it? It'll be more of a screamer being essentially two in-line fours stuck together like the hayabusa V8's that holeshot racing offer, won't have the off beat burble on tickover like American V8's (and Rover's). Bet it's s**t your pants fast though :D

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thuink it was the 500 Kwak that had that nickname. It was stupid fast and had a chassis made of bamboo. Wouldn't stop either. Well, it did when it ran into something.. My mate Pod had one with an 8 leading shoe front brake. That's right... 8 leading shoe. That thing didn't stop either.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
The most impressive bike I rode was a mate's Velocette 500cc single cylinder with the fishtail exhaust pipe.

It was so heavy to kick start, with really big compression, so we had to start them on the stand.

It had an exhaust valve lifter so you pushed down on the kickstart pedal until the compression built up, pulled the lifter, stood on the kickstart to get it going down and dropped the lifter half way down the kick.

You had to practice it to get the sequence.

I did it right, but it locked, I fell over, bike with me, it trapped my knee under the tank and a lad standing at the nearby bus stop came over smiling and helped me to pull it off me and get up. We were both chuckling, me helmeted and red with embarrassment underneath it.

Got it started second time. Looked back at the bus stop to find the lad to wave thanks, and saw about 20 people all smiling.

I've always been entertaining, made their day brighter. :)

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
And of course the most impressive Vs were the Vincent Black Shadow, MV Augusta, and Moto Guzzi, not necessarily for speed or wins but for engineering and quality and innovation.

Ariel Square 4!

All overshadowed by the later V Hondas, Kwakerzaps, Jamjars, Suzukis and Ducatis.

Ducati's Desmodromic valve lifter/droppers. 17,000 rpm! Invented by a bloke called Desmond? Dunno! :)

https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/04/...y-and-why-ducati-is-committed-to-desmodromics

The one-offs don't count in my view. Someone put a V16 in a bike. Whaffor?! Just to do it.:roll:

Think on it chaps, we are the first and last to have seen these bikes new and in action as current bikes.

And the last to have had the freedom of the UK roads.

Our kids didn't and our grandkids have no interest.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The most impressive bike I rode was a mate's Velocette 500cc single cylinder with the fishtail exhaust pipe.

It was so heavy to kick start, with really big compression, so we had to start them on the stand.

It had an exhaust valve lifter so you pushed down on the kickstart pedal until the compression built up, pulled the lifter, stood on the kickstart to get it going down and dropped the lifter half way down the kick.

You had to practice it to get the sequence.

I did it right, but it locked, I fell over, bike with me, it trapped my knee under the tank and a lad standing at the nearby bus stop came over smiling and helped me to pull it off me and get up. We were both chuckling, me helmeted and red with embarrassment underneath it.

Got it started second time. Looked back at the bus stop to find the lad to wave thanks, and saw about 20 people all smiling.

I've always been entertaining, made their day brighter. :)
I had a similar AJS 500 single when I was a 10 stone 17 year old. I was once thrown over the handlebars when I was kickstarting it: Only once, I was more careful after that!

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
Even a standard Kawasaki KH didn't like corners, it's why the KH750 got the nickname 'the widowmaker' :D
I had the KH250 as a kid back in the seventies followed by the RD350LC in the eighties , I saw a KH250 advertised for £10000 a while back :-D
There wasn't much call for a V Engine where I came from , you always needed to make a quick getaway :-D

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
How about a V12 with screaming turbochargers? Turn the sound up.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
I had a similar AJS 500 single when I was a 10 stone 17 year old. I was once thrown over the handlebars when I was kickstarting it: Only once, I was more careful after that!
The Velo sounded like this: Boom!-shuh-shuh-shuh-Boom!-shuh-shuh-shuh While it was doing 90mph!

Heheheh. :)

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had the KH250 as a kid back in the seventies followed by the RD350LC in the eighties , I saw a KH250 advertised for £10000 a while back :-D
There wasn't much call for a V Engine where I came from , you always needed to make a quick getaway :-D
We had everything from RD50m to 350 LC to Yamaha YZ 's when I was growing up, always wanted a KH especially the 750 but they are silly money and even the cheaper kawasaki 2T's still have the reputation for killing you, that's why I got a TDR250 instead of the KR1-S.
I will get a KH at some point though as well as another 350LC but I'll have to flog my KTM first it's the only bike I can stand to part with mostly because it's a pig to kick-start the electronic starter is temperamental and riding it anywhere but on a track feels like being whacked in the groin by a cricket bat. But it's great fun besides that lol

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was firstly a Yamaha man, then a Honda man. Had a G5 250, it had the most wobby chassis I've ever seen on a bike, when you cornered hard you could feel the bike twisting below you...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I was firstly a Yamaha man, then a Honda man. Had a G5 250, it had the most wobby chassis I've ever seen on a bike, when you cornered hard you could feel the bike twisting below you...
I had a Honda K1 250. That bike had a friction steering damper through the steering head like many of the older British bikes. I once tried loosening off to see if it actually made any difference. It did. 81000dy frightening. After that it was wound on so tight I could barely move the bars. I spent so much time on the phone trying to find parts for that bike the engine number CB250E1001080 is embedded in my brain - and I got rid of it in the late 1970s.

Ian C

ps the Honda went through many iterations ending up with a 400cc conversion before being replaced with an XS 500 Yamaha twin a much better handling bike which I retired in 1988 and is still in the shed awaiting restoration...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.