Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cassette drawer on my 2001 S type won't open well it will I can open it with a fine bladed screwdriver but there is no spring action, presume either spring is broken or become detached.
Anyone know how I can remove the drawer to find the problem.

Not a big issue , but would like it to work as all other interior fittings and fixtures work as intended.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think you may need to remove the whole center console unit (heater controls, radio etc) to get at it properly. This isn't too difficult, you will need to remove the semi-circular trim at the bottom of the unit and one at each side to reveal the screws. Unscrew them and the whole unit should just slide out - you will need to put the gear leaver in drive and possibly remove the knob to give enough clearance. All the individual components, including the cassette draw are just screwed together. You will be able to get at it easily once removed to fix or replace.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Yes the whole centre has to come out and then disassemble the blocks ( radio, cointray, rccm, cassette box) .

I have a spare good cassette box on the car I am breaking.

TT

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
It sounds much harder than it is.

2 x 10mm bolts behind the lozenge trim next to casset box&stereo. and 2 below the RCCM.

Car is best in "D" or " Manual 4th"

You may be able tyo find the issue without disconnecting the cables.

TT

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the great picture, Andrew,

I have the same problem but the opposite. The drawer wont stay in. The return springs must have broken. Have had a couple goes at getting it out, but seemed a bit too complicated for me. Then I wouldn't know how to fix it even if I got it out.... sigh... :)

So its a bit of an eye-sore. But I have taken to stowing my phone in it. I use my phone as a sat nav. And I bought a little gadget that plugs into the earphone socket and creates a FM signal that can be picked up by the radio. That is a treat. :-D

But still frustrating about the drawer being stuck out.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Took the one out of the spares car today, about 10 mins in total to get the console out. Hardest part is releasing the wiring clips.

TT

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the same problem as you - the drawer stays out. A few years ago, on this forum, someone shared about rubbish bin catches on ebay. Apparently they push and release and push and lock like the drawer.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Reactions: S-Type Owner

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Oh. I got one of those for my ashtray. Had the same problem. Fixed it a treat!
For just a fraction of the cost as Jaguar ask 50 pounds for this same latch.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Profiteering! It's an unfair world. Whatever you believe in, capitalism, communism, or something else, human nature is the same. There's always someone trying to take advantage of someone else.

One thing I like about forums like this one, most of the guys on here want to contribute, to help instead of selfishly take. This world needs more people like that.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I can't believe we're discussing Cassette Drawers in 2022! Gramaphones on the parcel shelf next ;)
Gramophones already made a comeback back and now cassette players are making a comeback as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.