Jaguar Forum banner

CD changer fix

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Ian D 
#1 ·
Thought i'd have a look at the changer in the boot as was not working for a while
So removed all the carpet's etc and wow whot a lot off stuff hidden behind that lot,any way removed cd changer and proceded to have alook , with various screwdriver's and other poking instruments (i know a big no no) anyway what had i to lose ,it did'nt work so option's were limited
when i looked inside i could see a cd was half in and half out ?? . Any way upshot is gave it the old fashied drop and thump test , put it all back and seem's to work fine now
The moral of the story is some off the old way's are still the best (sometime's LOL)

#2 ·
Thanks Davey!

Mines not working either so hell why not give it a shot. Couple of questions;

How was it not working? For example, first time around it will bring up the CDC screen on the display, and the message "looking for discs"
It always searches Disc 1, and after about 10-15 seconds, it brings up the message NO DISCS and no matter what you do after that, it's all you get when you press the CDC button. What I find interesting, is that with a full magazine of discs, on that first screen some will be blacked out like there is no disc physically present, even though there is.

Is that what happened with yours?

#3 ·
Is that what happened with yours?[/QUOTE]

HI cambo351
mine just said something like cdc not working (can't remember exacly , must be age coming on quicker than i think,,what was the question??)
any way as i said wasnt working so what did i have to lose , but as you know with these car's they sometimes have a mind of there own so who know'w what delights tomorrow will bring ??????
good luck with your's

#5 ·
Cambo lets hope you never get quoted out of context and end up on Jeremy Kyle etc..."banged it about, stuck my finger inside, swore at it"

The mind boggles.

#6 ·
alternatively check the fibre link to make sure its in the right sequence. You never know what people have done in the past.

#8 ·
CDC not working again......... need bigger hammer ??

#11 ·
have you had a look to see if there is a disc half in and half out of the holder. That is what happened to me, i had to put a little screwdriver in the front where it loads, and then jam it against the half loaded disc, and drag it back towards the cassette. It ruins the disc,

yep that's it half in and half out ,,,,,not sure M J would like your fix though

#12 ·
Well i've just wasted £100 and 2 hours of my life.

Bought a CD head unit to replace my Tape player. It arrived damaged (had been poorly packed for shipping).
Luckily(?) it was just the corner of the facia, which you wouldn't see once installed.
So, pulled the car apart, swapped out the Tape for the CD, put it back together.
No surprises it didn't work, wouldn't even load a disc....however....suddenly the CD changer was working perfectly, read all discs and played them!

But a dud CD player is no good for me, regardless of the CDC working, so I put the tape player back in, and now....CDC ERROR

It won't even eject the magazine....

I just can't bloody win...

#13 ·
Up-date
had changer out again and took completly apart ( well took the top of with out removing any wiring ),then pluged back in and started it up , and yes all worked as should , so sprayed white greese on moving part's , all seem's fine , so we will see ??
I will probably avoid number one slot as that's the one that was stuck half in and half out

#15 ·
When I swapped the tape player for the CD player, it was recognised (checked in the 1971 menu)
It also recognised the CDC, which played perfectly. Put the Tape back in & the CDC is still recognised, but i get CDC ERROR and it's back to thinking the car has rear media, which it doesn't. I'm 99% sure now that the Tape player is the cause of my problems.

#16 ·
Why not try the one out your x-type?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.