1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
99 Posts
Andy, I like your way of thinking, I had the same thoughts for DRL's for a while.

But .... I don't think that, even with a clear lens, they will be anything bright.
They will light up, yes, but they will not 'point forward' as DRL's should do.

The reason I think so?
I have aftermarket LED's in my spoiler-lip, pointing straight forward, and even those are just so-so.
The ones in your links point sideways, so they need a chrome surround of the housing to be directed, which I am rather sure the indicator housing does not have.
I am afraid that, after spending a lot of money, all you will get are lights in the same fashion as the side lights on US cars.

I also thought about recessing a small LED lighting fixture into the amber lens and housing, to obtain at least a pointing light, but gave up on that one as well, as it will be too visible, a sacrifice I did not want to make.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. DRL was the wrong term to use.

Anything better than the 5W "parking light" I will be happy with.
Yes I am basically going for the USA effect.

I don't intend to have them on all the time, only when the lights are on, and headlamps off.

I have the LEDs and bulb holders already and am very pleased with the result.
Those white LED's do a good job of cancelling the orange lense.

Other cars, lucky enough to have clear front indicators seam to be doing the same, e.g S Type.

Clear indicators would be the final touch and wish I had purchased some years ago when I had the chance. But DRL's weren't invented then.

P.S those LED's do have 2 pointing forward and do a surprising good job. I think the inside of the jag unit is reflective.

·
Registered
99 Posts
OK, I see, and would love to see some pictures of your little project once available.

BTW, why not just stick some T10 LED's in the main housing as the parking lights?
They now have all kind of configurations for forward and sideway pointing.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car is tucted up for winter ATM. But will send you some when available.

Generally not a fan of leds on cars but bi coloured ones will convert me.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I completed one side today.

Pleased to say I didn't need load resistors :)

As the jag system was satisfied with a 5W bulb I thought there was hope.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.