Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know this has been discussed so much but looking for a little rasssurance if possible please.

I have a 2009 X Type 2.0 diesel s. It's on 78k and in super condition, dark metallic blue, black leathers with white stitching and it's a dream to drive. I've had it for 12 months and done 17k in it so far.

Clutch has begun to slip in 4th and 5th. Drives perfect in lower gears but slipping under heavy acceleration on motorway which is where I spend most of my life. So want to get it booked in and replaced asap.

I sold my previous x type as the DMF was knocking away, had done 155k and the car was too old and battered to justify the repair.

So I need a new clutch. Have been quoted a by a few garages, none of which I have used before as I have moved recently.

Simple question, is it a complete no brainer that I get the DMF replaced with the clutch? I'm inclined to do it as I've suffered a knocking DMF before. But don't know if there are any disadvantages to replacing the original DMF now with an after market one while there is nothing actually wrong with the current one.

I do expect to keep the car for many years and will run up some serious Milage in it too so want to always make the best choices for the motor. Appreciate any wisdom offered thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2007 x type 2.0 diesel, I was sitting at the lights on Sunday in first gear waiting for green, then I I tried to set off the clutch pedal hit the floor and would not come up, eventually I have to phone the RAC, he came out and took some springs of the pedal and tried to lube the pin/rod that the pedal pushes. anyway, he said the clutch had gone (even though there was no slippage at all) I phoned sound for some prices and it was mega money to have it done, so I bit the bullet and ordered a full DMF kit from ebay at £159.99 towed my car to the local garage Wednesday evening so they could start Thursday morning, I heard nothing until this morning when they said it was all done but the car wont start. I just took my spare key down and it's the same, the car just says "security failed" they had also managed to flatten a perfectly good battery, they tried a large battery charger which was just making my dash lights flash, so I told them to take it off. they then put on a brand new battery and everything lit up fine but still says "Security Failed" so I have just left it with them and come home to write a post on it asking for advise on the fault, then I saw this post. ( So Balsh, before you do anything, wait and see if this problem has anything to do with changing a DMF)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a nightmare. Hope garage can resolve for you promptly mate am interested to hear how you get on. Best of luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
I will let you know what the outcome is when I get it back so hopefully its not a related problem you might run into, also some of the guys on here might have some suggestions for us both.

·
Registered
200 Posts
While you are at it, it's a good idea to check the starter gear. A failed DMF has a tendency to damage it.

It's difficult to see how replacing a clutch will make security fail, unless they broke a wire or similar whilst doing it.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Simple question, is it a complete no brainer that I get the DMF replaced with the clutch? I'm inclined to do it as I've suffered a knocking DMF before. But don't know if there are any disadvantages to replacing the original DMF now with an after market one while there is nothing actually wrong with the current one.
Looks like your thread has been hijacked!

If the car is a keeper then I would replace the DMF to save on labour if (when) it needs doing in the future. Make sure it is a good one, though - LUK are recommended for the clutch and DMF.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Know this has been discussed so much but looking for a little rasssurance if possible please.

I have a 2009 X Type 2.0 diesel s. It's on 78k and in super condition, dark metallic blue, black leathers with white stitching and it's a dream to drive. I've had it for 12 months and done 17k in it so far.

Clutch has begun to slip in 4th and 5th. Drives perfect in lower gears but slipping under heavy acceleration on motorway which is where I spend most of my life. So want to get it booked in and replaced asap.

I sold my previous x type as the DMF was knocking away, had done 155k and the car was too old and battered to justify the repair.

So I need a new clutch. Have been quoted a by a few garages, none of which I have used before as I have moved recently.

I do expect to keep the car for many years and will run up some serious Milage in it too so want to always make the best choices for the motor. Appreciate any wisdom offered thanks
I agree with Wilber G. Replace the DMF and the CSC at the same time.

Roger

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I agree with Wilber G. Replace the DMF and the CSC at the same time.

Roger
i had clutch, DMF, and CSC, and a leaky gearbox seal changed, £808 in total, genuine LUK parts. You should get the whole kit changed. as you're only gonna spend twice as much in the longrun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have a look at Euro Car Parts, they have a Black Friday sale on. Buy the parts and take it to the garage and get a labour quote, should work out cheaper that way. Don’t use Techniclutch if you go down that route as their reputation isn’t too great, not long had mine done and cost just over £500 in total doing it this way although they had a 50% discount on clutch parts at the time

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Techniclutch, everything that they sell is resurfaced ****. even the stuff they label as LUK is remanufactured.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I thought I might need new clutch over summer and did some research, here is email from guy from Luk, might be useful:

"Oli
These are fast moving parts so any Motor Factor selling LuK should give you a good price (and maybe match Euro’s online price) rather than risk the dreaded DHL or UPS guy throwing your clutch around in the back of his van.

LuK numbers
624 3136 33 Clutch kit including CSC
415 0168 10 DMF (which in this particular case is the same as a Mondeo !)
411 0120 10 DMF Bolts

Euro Car Part numbers
637590810 Clutch Kit
645590239 CSC
336590090 DMF
640590210 DMF Bolts

If you use Euro Car Parts just make sure they do give you all LuK product as sometimes they will source faster moving parts from other suppliers and make sure the driven plate does not have “LuK Service” printed on it as this would signify it’s a remanufactured unit purchased in Europe not the UK.

Have fun.

Best Regards
Malc"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had a similar Security fail when mine went in for rear bushes. Turned out that a couple of wires under the fuse box in thew engine bay had rubbed through and shorted. Auto electrician extended them so they wouldn't chafe again and re-insulated and been ok since.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thx all.

Have found a garage locally who have lots of good reviews on trust a trader and seem ok. Never entirely happy using someone I don't know for a big job so relying on the reviews I have read up on.

Clutch and DMF £750 fitted which seems a very good price (amongst the cheapest but not the cheapest quote I received).

Look forward accelerating properly on the M25 again once this is done!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re-opening this thread. I may need to have my clutch changed soon. I've read multiple times about having the starter motor "cleaned out" at the same time as doing the clutch. Can someone elaborate on exactly what this means?

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's the end of the starter motor shaft, ie the gear which meshes with the flywheel. All the bits and pieces coming off the clutch can fall onto it. At the minimum, give it a good clean out of all the dust etc making sure the moving parts actually move easily. Examine the gears on the shaft to make sure they haven't been damaged by any vibration of the flywheel. If you find any wear, seriously consider getting a new starter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No idea about that. I had DMF and clutch replaced only cost £750 I think and it’s like driving a new car.

If flywheel breaks up then yes can damage starter motor but my flywheel was fine I just had slipping clutch and replaced flywheel just cause it made sense to do at the same time.

Perhaps if flywheel is knocking be worth getting starter looked at

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.