Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1247 Posts

· Registered
22,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of threads go off topic and thought we might like such a thread to air views and have a good old-fashioned grumble.

So here it is, lets see what happens.

My favourite grumble is the unreliability of car electronics, having to pay just have the codes read and translated (the car should display them with explanations), our government's inability to understand why the world works, the poor quality of Starbucks coffee, the weather...

That's one big grumble!

My faves?

DIY round the house and on my cars, big computer systems, good food, family, good (sometimes prodding) humour, good coffee, camaraderie and idle banter with people of similar interests.

What's yours?

· Registered
506 Posts
Great idea Jim, well done :)

We're pretty similar you & I, except that I wouldn't even attempt DIY on my Cat, despite having spent many a weekend in the 60's de-coking my 'car of the moment' :)

"Big computer systems" is right up my alley, as I live right on the bleeding edge of IT running our small firm. The gripe is despite their enormous budgets, the companies we support for providing client solutions possess "Big computer systems" that make ours look like 'Tomorrows World' in terms of speed, accuracy, effectiveness, usability........etc etc. When will they wake up?

· Registered
116 Posts
Yes I love the fact I can work on my Cerbera with relative simplicity as it's what I would call old school when it comes to electronics and mechanics.

Most modern stuff throws warnings a hissy fits for no reason, I wonder if we will be able to keep a modern jag running and passing MOT's when it's 20 years old .... Let's hope so or what will I do with my spare time ;-)

· Registered
116 Posts
I probably didn't make myself very clear, what I meant was that as the electronics get older they become more problematic in my experience.

As a result of having to hit various eu targets cars are becoming more reliant in electronics look at the reputation French and Italian cars have gained over recent years. This I fear could mean more cars end up at the breakers than becoming someone's classic in 15 years time, simply because they become to complicated for the enthusiast.

I know I find great pleasure getting my hands dirty or tinkering rather than trying to get a laptop to connect and tell me some codes I have to look up later ....

Loving the thread though ...

· Registered
78 Posts
was doing a car last weekend, keep coming up with cam sensor code. replaced with a good one sill come up. car miss firing, wont tick over my itself. Found the fault to be the wiring to the coil pack only found when it caught alight. so fault code are not always right, but can help.

· Registered
60 Posts
I love cars but I don't consider myself a petrol head as I'm not really very well educated in how cars work. That said, I can follow instructions/how to guides and use tools and not be afraid to get my hands dirty. When my s type gives me any problems, this is the 1st place I'll come and I'll lean heavily on you guys to pull me through :D

My other love is gadgets/av and most notably, home cinema. I'm pretty well skilled in these area's so if anyone needs any help - I'll gladly return the favour.

This is my home cinema, which I done all by myself - complete install, audio and video calibration to the highest standards (with the highest quality equipment). Everything is controlled by my ipad and all movies are on networked storage. Even the acoustically transparent screen is custom built by myself, in the room. Its floor to ceiling, wall to wall - just like my local Omnimaxx! Don't ask me how many inches it is - I work is sqft and its over 63 sq feet of screen :)

Picture quality:

Oh sorry...1 more passion. Golf. Built this golf simulator in my garage. Complete with putting green, semi rough at the back, and the chance to play major championship golf courses in the comfort of home with a few beers during the round :)

I like collecting putters too and rare head covers:

So thats my other passions and as I say, I'll be relying on you guys for car help so if anyone needs any av help or how to go about setting up a home cinema themselves, I'm your man! To give you an idea - while my room and equipment is well into a 5 figure sum (that doesn't start with a 1 :shock: ) you can do a very good job and achieve similar results at a modest £1.5k. I put a cinema in a friends house last year - screen, 1080p projector, 5 good speakers, a good subwoofer and amp for just over £700 as we bought it all 2nd hand. It looks and sounds amazing...

· Registered
22,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Great response already, wow!

Soupdragon that is amazing! Passions are exactly this.

Jim - Failing to be off-topic here (sorry) but: get a che8ap OBD tool instead of paying. Or get two: elm327 & Mongoose JLR clone.
Ah 04str, now on the diag tool, that is of great interest to me!

As it happens I do have an elm327, what's the Mongoose and what can I do with them? Can I test/excercise things like locks, window motors etc or just read and clear codes?

Can I reset gearbox adaptions with it?

· Banned
2,669 Posts
@ Soupdragon......

I notice you are into golf, very nice set up bud.
more so, i see you have a putter collection........I too have one, including 12 Scotty Camerons, although not a Red X as you have.

My gamer is a Squareback II, very nice weight and style, works for me

Very very nice sir

scoobs

· Registered
506 Posts
S-Type Complaint

As I parked up from yet another "excuse to drive her" excursions, I found a design fault :-(

There's nothing to do with your left hand apart from rest it over the gear shift because the steering set up just doesn't require more than your right hand :)

1 - 20 of 1247 Posts