Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have searched the threads for a solution to my 2010 XKR (X150) roof opening /closing issue that developed after changing out the battery but with no success.
I have tried the manual reset several times but no joy so I’m wondering if this problem is coincidental to the failed battery. The situation is as follows:
1. The roof has been down permanently for several weeks.
2. Whilst away for two weeks I forgot to connect my CTEK conditioner, so on my return the battery was flat.
3. I charged the battery. A few days later I took it on a 15mile journey, but on arrival the roof would not close.
4. on return home I tried to close it, stopping and starting the car several times and the battery then failed.
5. To access the old battery and install a new I had to do a manual closure
6. I replaced the battery and have carried out all the resets listed in the Owners Handbook and in this forum.
7. I assumed that because I had manually closed the roof the system would “think” that the roof was actually open. So I opened it manually - no success!
8. I manually closed the roof but this time the front header would not lower to the top of the windscreen. It was a good 8 inches above it and using brute force did not seem to be the answer. Whereas the first time it lowered to within an inch or two, easily held down by fingers to latch.
9. I have now reopened the roof manually, but of course, the tonneau panel has not latched, but at least I will be able to get it to the dealer if you guys can’t help!

Any suggestions will be gratefully received!
Cheers
Pauldy

·
Premium Member
23,059 Posts
This might help,
Make sure you have reset the windows also.

Reactions: payno

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that was quick! Only just posted it!
However, have I checked that and reset the windows.
But thanks very much. I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
I do remember seeing a similar issue and the answer was in manually opening or closing the roof then with the correct resets it began to work again. Sorry I can’t help more but hopefully this will give you some encouragement that there may be a solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you MrKis. That’s the frustration. There are so many similar posts but it seems a lottery whether the same resets work!
I never thought replacing a battery would be so difficult !

·
Premium Member
23,059 Posts
It may be more beneficial to have the codes read rather than guessing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here’s an update to point 8 in my original post. I tried again to do a manual reset and again the front header would not lower to the top of the windscreen leaving a good 8-9 inch gap.
on closer inspection of the first break or knuckle in the frame it appears as if a notch on the plate at the join should be located or pivot around a peg. As the top is lifted and pulled to the rear the knuckle widens folds down into the luggage space and the peg then lies below the notch. It is the same on both sides.
Bicycle part Automotive design Material property Carbon Auto part

See photo: I might have got the annotations “front” and “rear” back to front!!!
I can’t see this level of detail in the workshop manual so is this normal or should the notch be located over the peg. Ie has the peg been twisted out?

cheers
pauldy

·
Premium Member
23,059 Posts
Certainly looks like the peg should fit in the notch.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Wild guess - are the hydraulics OK?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
IIRC the portion of the many-hundred page PDF manual that deals with the roof is as many pages as the rest of the car put together... may be time to give your wallet a morale-building talk and visit an expert?

Mine stopped closing properly after a battery change but luckily it fixed itself on the way home!

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Using your basic code reader won't do any harm but it won't help much either because any useful roof codes will be in body modules and basic OBD only looks at engine modules.

Surely someone can take few pics of their roof at the same location for you. I'd imagine that the pin will locate in the last few inches you can't get to.

·
Premium Member
23,059 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you so much for this! I see now that it’s not the mega fuse issue. We only looked at that because in the workshop manual it was the first possible failure point for the roof circuitry.
Have now fixed the pegs that seemed to have jumped out of the notches at the first knuckle by disconnecting / slackening the rods from the front latch mechanism, then moving the roof until the notch and peg we’re realigned.
the roof now closes manually.
Still have to figure out why it does not operate electrically.

One suggestion I have seen is to disconnect the -ve battery terminal for 10 minutes, then reconnect, then manually open then close the roof. Reset the windows and then press roof up switch. We shall see!
Thanks again for your help.
cheers
Pauldy

·
Registered
92 Posts
This almost certainly a code issue, my car has suffered a flat battery a couple of times with similar issues.

It should be resolved if you can get the codes read & cleared.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much for this! I see now that it’s not the mega fuse issue. We only looked at that because in the workshop manual it was the first possible failure point for the roof circuitry.
Have now fixed the pegs that seemed to have jumped out of the notches at the first knuckle by disconnecting / slackening the rods from the front latch mechanism, then moving the roof until the notch and peg we’re realigned.
the roof now closes manually.
Still have to figure out why it does not operate electrically.

One suggestion I have seen is to disconnect the -ve battery terminal for 10 minutes, then reconnect, then manually open then close the roof. Reset the windows and then press roof up switch. We shall see!
Thanks again for your help.
cheers
Pauldy
UPDATE:
1. Disconnected the -ve terminal of the battery for 10-15 minutes.
2. Reconnected the terminal, started the engine, reset the Electronic Parking Brake, the windows and tried to open the roof. No success.
3. Stopped engine, and. Manually lowered the roof. Closed the hydraulic pump valve.
4. Started the engine, pressed the roof close switch and the roof closed, along with the windows.
5. Drove the car for 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 mph for 3 minutes at each speed.
6. Took the car for a 6 mile journey and on the way back the bonnet open warning message illuminated.
7. Stoped the car with engine running open and closed the bonnet. Warning message deleted.
8. on arrival home EPB warning illuminated. Reset the brake and all OK.

Thank you everyone for your help, comments and observations. It has been very much appreciated!
Cheers
Pauldy

·
Premium Member
23,059 Posts
Great news and thanks for the update.(y)

Reactions: NM_OLDER
1 - 20 of 20 Posts