Convertible Trunk Emergency Release

Alwyn

Reaction score
Is there a manual trunk release for convertible... battery is out of car on charger and truck is closed! Emergency key option?

JimboV8

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Is there not an emergency key hole behind the number plate? If not just hook up a supply to the remote terminals and press the unlock button. Info is probably in the manual.

OzJagXFS

Reaction score
The F-Type emergency key is under the door handle, I forget which one on a RHD vs LHD car, just pull a handle out and look on the underside and you can't miss it if you are looking at the correct side.
Then insert the emergency key (remove it from your key fob) and twist to unlock the door, the instructions are in the Owner Manual.
Be warned you need to push the key in really hard and further than you think.
That will get you inside the car so you can open the hood/bonnet which gives you access to the under-hood charging points, but of course this won't help much with no battery in the car!
From my reading on the Yank forum I think the easiest solution now is to connect a fully charged battery to those charging points or if that fails to the main cable power cable running from the under side of that relay/fuse box (the red cable, some paring back of the insulation may be required) and the other lead to earth/ground and you might just have some success with the trunk/boot release switch.

Alwyn

Reaction score
Is there not an emergency key hole behind the number plate? If not just hook up a supply to the remote terminals and press the unlock button. Info is probably in the manual.
No emergency keyhole behind the number plate on US spec vehicles. Because the battery terminals in the trunk are resting on the trunk bottom I'm concerned about using the remote terminals for fear of a possible short and damaging a significant module(s).

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Alwyn

Reaction score
The F-Type emergency key is under the door handle, I forget which one on a RHD vs LHD car, just pull a handle out and look on the underside and you can't miss it if you are looking at the correct side.
Then insert the emergency key (remove it from your key fob) and twist to unlock the door, the instructions are in the Owner Manual.
Be warned you need to push the key in really hard and further than you think.
That will get you inside the car so you can open the hood/bonnet which gives you access to the under-hood charging points, but of course this won't help much with no battery in the car!
From my reading on the Yank forum I think the easiest solution now is to connect a fully charged battery to those charging points or if that fails to the main cable power cable running from the under side of that relay/fuse box (the red cable, some paring back of the insulation may be required) and the other lead to earth/ground and you might just have some success with the trunk/boot release switch.
Thanks for the advice. Because the battery terminals in the trunk are resting on the trunk bottom I'm concerned about using the remote terminals for fear of a possible short and damaging a significant module(s).

JimboV8

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Because the battery terminals in the trunk are resting on the trunk bottom I'm concerned about using the remote terminals for fear of a possible short and damaging a significant module(s).
That is exactly the reason they were put there.

Alwyn

Reaction score
That is exactly the reason they were put there.
Would you happen to know if the bottom of the trunk is insulated, thus preventing the positive battery lead from being in contact with chassis ground?