Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. To make a long story short, never gave Jags much thought until recently taking a look at used Xj's. Was pretty shocked how affordable a used Xj/Xjl 5.0 supercharged can be even from 2014.

Anyways, here is the deal. I love the way they look, I love the way the interior looks and I love the fact that its a 5.0l v8 with a supercharger that sounds great.

However, I read some reviews and some posts of people complaining about the interior, more specifically its build quality and feel. I have never sat inside one and obviously I eventually will.

How is the build quality/feel of the interior of 2014-2017 Jags? I understand that 2016 got upgraded interior in terms of the dash.

I am stuck between an a8L from 2014-2016 or a Xjl 2014-2016 (most likely 2016 with the upgraded touchscreen)

I LOVE the way the interior looks, but again.. does it feel a little cheap inside? Can anyone compare it to the interior of A8 or a 7 series?

Are the rattles only on the earlier models from 2010-2011?

thank you

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also is the rear headroom really that bad on the XJL? I read some reviews saying its a bit cramped.. while other reviews say it is very spacious. I don't care if its not as big inside as A8l or 7 series, I just care that its big enough. Also if I get one I will def be getting one with the amazing looking rear seating comfort package that includes the screens and massaging seats (this goes for a8L as well). I really WANT to pick the Xjl over an A8.. I just love the exterior and I love how it has that british charm and LOVE how unique it is! BUT if the A8l destroys it, interior wise and if the XJL does not feel "expensive" inside I will be very disappointed and probably wont be purchasing one. I hope that these people that talk bad about the interior are seriously just exaggerating and nitpicking and maybe comparing it to a rolls or something.

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Just remember that on the A8 Indicators were an option :-?
I would go for the XJ as I think the cabin is so appealing over the drab A8. I would love to own one but the pennies are hard to come by at the moment.:-D

Roger

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Hmm....
I don't think you'd ever be disappointed with the Jaguar. XJ and A8 are both all-aluminium. Audi A8 may have a harder ride like all Audis. Neither car is a big seller, like all large up-market cars nowadays; the SUV reigns supreme, (for now !!). I test drove one a few years ago, and was impressed, except backing-up you really do need to rely on the reversing camera. Of course if you drive vans or buses for a living you'll have no problems.

· Registered
29 Posts
I have a -11 SWB Supersport and, while it is not perfect, I do love it. Some interior creaks. I think you need to experience it in order to decide for yourself. Interior is impressive and fees expensive - not at least due to it being so different compared to the Germans. About every single passenger has commented how nice it is:
Car Vehicle Satellite radio Gear shift Speedometer

I'm 6'5 and the backseat is a bit tight for me but I am quite used to it as far as cars go. The L would mean lots of extra legrom but the issue could still be a lack of headroom (sloping roofline is worth it however).

I am sure that all 3 German competitors are objectively better cars but I do not really care - I am smitten by the Jag in a way that the Germans cannot really match. Still, compared to e.g. the Maserati QP, I believe it to be a very sensible choice. Pre-facelift Panamera is too ugly to even consider imo.

Attachments

· Registered
164 Posts
I have the XJL and short on space it is not. The rear space is a wonderful place to be. On the very odd occasion my wife drives I love to laze in the back. But in the front or back the XJ is much more of an occasion than its German rivals. I've driven all and imho the XJ is the best. However, sometimes i find the long wheel base a little too long. But I'll not change it. It's fantastic.

· Registered
12 Posts
LWB is enormous inside. Interior is a thing of beauty. Best thing this side of a Bentley. If you're tall, like me, then headroom is just about acceptable as long as you don't have big hair. The XJ still maintains the ****pit feel in the front that its famous for, but is ergonomically superior to anything else that has come before. If you're a bit on the chubby side, it'll be snug but not uncomfortable.
I didn't know i wanted one so much till i drove it. As the previous poster said, the XJL is a long car. A BIG car. Some car parks can be challenging.
I've managed to kurb my rims where the length has initially caught me out.

· Registered
30 Posts
I have a XJL and agree:

Plenty of legroom in back
Middle seat is quite hard and only for short people
Rear headroom limited for anyone above 6 foot
Can be tricky to park/turning circle not great
After 6 months ownership it's a joy to drive
20" wheels are easily Kerbed

· Premium Member
17,946 Posts
Has to be XJL for me all the way......

I'm 6'3" and there's plenty space in the front, the rear is just cavernous with acres of space. I've had mine for almost 4 years now and just get compliments all day long, been looking to change and have considered downsizing to SWB or even looked at the XF's but ALWAYS get drawn back to the daddy of them all.
Car parking is fun, but hey ho.....

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.