Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought 5 litres of coolant to mix up ready, if needed, for the usual weekly on both my 2.0D X-Type and the wife's MG ZR. I was asked what colour in the shop to which I replied it was orangey red and was sold Bluecol OE40.
When I got home I found that the old container was Bluecol 30/34 so I started looking closer at the specifications and that's where it all got confusing.
  • My handbook says use WSS M97B44
  • My manual gives a spec. ESE-M97B44A but a page or two later under the 'draining and refilling' section it asks for WSS M97B44-D
  • On my last refill I used Bluecol 30/34 which claims to meet OEM requirements Ford WSS M97B44-D/E (1998 onwards) Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mazda
  • The Bluecol OE40 that I have just purchased claims to meet OEM requirements VW TL-774G; MAN324 type Si-OAT MAN Truck; MB 325.5 Mercedes-Benz Truck

M97B44 seems to figure more than anything else but following a good Google around there is a consensus of opinion that the suffixes do not mean that D is an improvement on C, B or A and indeed you may be doing more harm than good by using the wrong suffix coolant because it is important that incompatible coolants are not mixed by topping up and If the coolant is changed then it must be completely flushed out because of the dregs left in after draining.

Perhaps it is not a good idea to use the Bluecol OE40. Does anyone have any expert advice in this area?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I was recommended WSS M97 B44 D. Colour orange.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm going to bump this up with an ancillary question.......

I have a very slight coolant leak somewhere, the level in the expansion tank having dropped by about an inch in the past month or so. It originally came to light when the radiator fans started running and, at the time, I just topped up with plain water, as I didn't know the extent of the leak. I probably put in a good couple of litres.

Now, with the colder weather on the way, I need to replace the antifreeze element, but I don't know what is already in the system. What is in the expansion tank is colourless.

My inclination is the drain the whole lot and start again, but I haven't done that before and am not sure what is involved.

Any advice, tips welcomed ...... thanks!

PS What is the capacity of the system (2.5 V6)?

Cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm sure it is just water in the resevoir, but I'm blowed if I can see a leak anywhere.

·
Premium Member
23,824 Posts
Safest way to diagnose is to have the system pressure tested. You can also run it up to temperature as this may open up any hairline cracks to reveal the leak.
I would go with the pressure test and a complete coolant change.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
When I had a slow but steady coolant leak I topped up with the (orange) stuff recommended and sold by my local dealer, came in a white plastic container.

Probably not the cheapest option, but at least I knew I had the right stuff :confused: . Top it up undiluted if you have no colour in the reservoir contents.

Turned out to be a water pump issue, not obvious until my mechanic did a pressure test so then it was new pump, plus belt as well of course, and fresh coolant ... as per Jim's advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.