Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My 2009 XF has developed a coolant leak that seems to be leaking above the engine as once the engine is hot I get steam coming off it.
I have found coolant in small gaps next to where the oil filter is.
Could this be a split pipe or clip perished or could it be more serious.
Car still runs fine with no warning lights or issues.
Just wanted any info before i attempt to take it to the garage to be diagnosed.
It only looses a small amount of coolant each time after a 20 min drive at mixed speeds.

· Registered
2,143 Posts
Hi, My 2009 XF has developed a coolant leak that seems to be leaking above the engine as once the engine is hot I get steam coming off it.
I have found coolant in small gaps next to where the oil filter is.
Could this be a split pipe or clip perished or could it be more serious.
Car still runs fine with no warning lights or issues.
Just wanted any info before i attempt to take it to the garage to be diagnosed.
It only looses a small amount of coolant each time after a 20 min drive at mixed speeds.
Hi Danny, as far I'm aware the only coolant pipes above the engine are the heater ones at the rear of the engine compartment. Phil
p.s. Just checked in the Manual and there is another pipe by the oil filter.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Engineering Font

Attachments

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only one i can find is the one at the top of the coolant tank which leads round by part of the air filter system next to the oil filter.
must be this pipe.
I am currantly off sick from work with a chipped bone in my ankle so haven't used the car much in the last month.
Will have to get someone to have a look for said leak.
I can drive it but only for about 20 minute periods due to ankle.
My son recons i could also have a turbo seal leak as i am getting a little oil coming out of my exaust.
Will have to get that checked also.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know its only a cheap fix but for the time being it has worked.
I put a bottle of K seal in the coolant tank and it has sorted the leak.
As i won't be driving anywhere far until next february this fix will do for now.

· Registered
546 Posts
Be careful using K Seal as it can gunge things up ie coolant temp valves etc.

RC

· Registered
142 Posts
Got told today that the part identified is leaking but not kept in stock so will be Monday before it arrives, then upto 3-5 hrs labour to fit it. All in with parts, labour and vat at most £431 sounds a bit expensive to me or is this about right price wise. It’s not a Indy or main dealer but a garage I’ve used for most things on all our cars.

· Premium Member
2007 X350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel
6,699 Posts
Got told today that the part identified is leaking but not kept in stock so will be Monday before it arrives, then upto 3-5 hrs labour to fit it. All in with parts, labour and vat at most £431 sounds a bit expensive to me or is this about right price wise. It’s not a Indy or main dealer but a garage I’ve used for most things on all our cars.
If it really IS five hours work then I don't think it's too much over the odds. 1) Have they broken down the quote so you can see how much if its "only" 3hours? It sounds like you're a regular customer so I assume you trust them.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
I managed to replace the 'water outlet connector' (if that's your problem) in an hour and a half/two hours max.. and that includes finding and getting far more tools than needed from various places around the house first and tidying up afterwards..

Reactions: NM_OLDER

· Premium Member
2007 X350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel
6,699 Posts
I managed to replace the 'water outlet connector' (if that's your problem) in an hour and a half/two hours max.. and that includes finding and getting far more tools than needed from various places around the house first and tidying up afterwards..
always worth listening to the voice of experience

Reactions: PetA

· Registered
1,913 Posts
always worth listening to the voice of experience
That's my hard earned reputation 'out the window' then....

😁

• Haha
Reactions: NM_OLDER

· Premium Member
25,630 Posts
Excellent news and thanks for the update.(y)

· Premium Member
18,884 Posts
Got the car back today after part turned up from jaguar and 3 hours to fit and 3 litres of antifreeze etc total cost came to £287 all in. Better than their worst case of £431. Result 😀
Fair play trucknetjack

Looks like you solved the problem yourself and save a bundle in the process.

As you say....result right there!

Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts