Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my X-type the other week.
When we were checking it over, there was a massive coolant leak when the wheels were being turned full lock. This is close to an issue I had with my old Mondeo estate, the hose got essentially pulled out when turning full circle.
Not as easy to get to on the Jag, and I've been topping up with water until I get this fixed.
It doesn't lose a lot of water in normal conditions, but in traffic, the heat rises rapidly and I'm having fan on full blast to draw heat from the engine.

Before I start chasing the issue down, has anyone any similar experiences/advice?

Cheers in advance! ;-)

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Hi Dave, Which hose are you referring to. The common problems with the X Type is the coolant reservoir springing a leak at the bottom which releases coolant when hot and the Thermostat housing.
Cannot see where a hose would be pulled out when turning to full lock.

Roger

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Just to remark on the overheating, If you are only using water then this would cause it as the coolant antifreeze at 50/50 boils at a far higher temperature than water. Is your engine fan coming on.

Roger

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The only connection is the power steering pump is bolted to the water pump, if the leak is at the front, remove the air filter & look in that area!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Water is the best coolant - yes 50/50 mix will boil at a higher temp, but if your engine is going over the boiling point of the water (higher than 100 deg c at its pressurised) then it is over heating and changing it to a 50/50 mix won't make any difference, it will still be over heating.

where 50/50 mix does work is to stop the water freezing and minimise engine corrosion

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I do agree with that but we need to know if the engine fan is operating to reduce the temp.

Roger

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Well Dave has not replied yet so we will wait and see.

Roger

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apologies for the delay in replying guys, and thanks for all the help/comments.
I was a little mixed up at the start - Once with a B type Vectra I had, turning the wheel full lock pulled on a hose and caused coolant leak.
This case looked similar as we actually seen the coolant "pishing" out.

At the time, I just topped up with water as it was all I had to hand, and is kept doing it, I kept topping up with water.

Looking now like the initial loss was due to a pressure build up, causing the coolant to overflow (at pressure) - Make sense?
The car heating up subsequently was due to very long, slow traffic in Edinburgh, and because it was just water, causing the levels to drop (nearly emptying the reservoir).
I can not detect any leaks, the car works great when on open road, and I've just emptied the water and put in 2 litres of anti-freeze.
Hopefully this should do the trick.

Oh, and yes, the fan was coming on, and sometimes staying on (for a time) after the car was switched off.

Hope that makes sense?

:) Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it should run fine on just water

Try changing the coolant pressure cap
'Tis the time of year when anti-freeze is a good idea! (Scotland, remember? lol ).

The cap is a little weird, as it is nearly like a kids proof medicine bottle lid ..... You have to push it down to get it off, and then pull it!!
Simply unscrewing it does not get it off. It ends up spinning around.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
If the temperature rises that much in traffic then I would suspect either Water pump (the impeller tends to snap) or a blocked radiator.

Roger

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
If the temperature rises that much in traffic then I would suspect either Water pump (the impeller tends to snap) or a blocked radiator.
I agree - something's not working properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.