Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a conversation with my wife the other day and I said that my XJR used 5W30 oil, which I wanted to get to keep and use to top up as and when. She said that someone had told her that there are different grades of a grade (if that makes sense) so although it is 5W30 there are different levels within that. I’ve never heard of that before and wondered if anyone here had? Also what oil do you guys use?

· Registered
3,745 Posts
Oh yes annoyingly.

Letters and numbers.
e.g A3 or C3

From my understanding the higher the number the later the specification. (so better quality)
But your old car does not necessarily need this better quality as you don't have a DPF or turbo or some new fanged emissions related thing in the exhaust. (and some say their are side effects or negatives for using the later stuff)

5W30 fully synthetic A1 or A3 should be fine for you, if you can find it.

Do some research on Wikipedia.

P.S Does your car actually use oil? They have such a large and wide ranging capacity you my not need any top up oil. But good to do the research now.

If you need some top up, this stuff should do

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granvill...323061&hash=item5b3cc47b28:g:RmQAAOSwO1hZjYh6

I've used it in other cars

· Registered
74 Posts
I was having a conversation with my wife the other day and I said that my XJR used 5W30 oil, which I wanted to get to keep and use to top up as and when. She said that someone had told her that there are different grades of a grade (if that makes sense) so although it is 5W30 there are different levels within that. I’ve never heard of that before and wondered if anyone here had? Also what oil do you guys use?
My Jaguar dealer puts Castrol Edge Professional A5 in my x308 .....takes £56 worth. Oil level never changes between services. Might sound extravagant to some but I'm an oil change freak and I hope to keep the car forever.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yes annoyingly.

Letters and numbers.
e.g A3 or C3

From my understanding the higher the number the later the specification. (so better quality)
But your old car does not necessarily need this better quality as you don't have a DPF or turbo or some new fanged emissions related thing in the exhaust. (and some say their are side effects or negatives for using the later stuff)

5W30 fully synthetic A1 or A3 should be fine for you, if you can find it.

Do some research on Wikipedia.

P.S Does your car actually use oil? They have such a large and wide ranging capacity you my not need any top up oil. But good to do the research now.

If you need some top up, this stuff should do

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granvill...323061&hash=item5b3cc47b28:g:RmQAAOSwO1hZjYh6

I've used it in other cars
Thanks Andy, a lot of good information. I haven't had the car long enough to notice the oil usage, but I checked the oil before going on a long run (Cardiff and back from Buckingham, a 300 mile round trip) and it was half way between min/max on the dipstick so wanted to have some on hand. Thanks for the ebay link too, will get some of that ordered up.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Jaguar dealer puts Castrol Edge Professional A5 in my x308 .....takes £56 worth. Oil level never changes between services. Might sound extravagant to some but I'm an oil change freak and I hope to keep the car forever.
I'm the same, I aim to keep mine for a long time to come so a bit of pro-active maintenance won't hurt.

· Registered
115 Posts
The first oil change for my ‘99 was regular Mobil 10w30. It used quart in 2000 miles. I changed to Royal Purple 10w40 HPS synthetic. Coming up on its 6k mile change, it has used less than quart. Mileage went up about 1.5 mpg and the engine runs much smoother and quieter. Premium synthetic with classic car anti-wear additives (ZDDP) is worth the money for older cars.
RP recommends two normal interval changes when changing from mineral oils. After the third change they recommend 10k mile intervals with use of premium long life filters.
At 5.5k miles the oil is still a clear light brown. Not very dirty at all compared to the Mobil at 3k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.