Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well, as per the above, looks like I have another cracked alloy. Noticed I was losing pressure in the front-left and when they dropped it in the magic bath today we could see a little bubble coming out every now and then from the rim and there was a crack there. This is the 2nd wheel I have had go in a year. The previous owner of Horus clearly didn't like the road as from the state of the wheels he spent a lot of time talking to the kerb and similar, and pretty much every wheel has a weld repair on it already...

So my thinking. At this time they have put something over it to seal it up, but it's not going to hold forever. The car is a Sovereign so has 18" Aruba's on it (I think they are) but, to be brutally honest, I hate them. Not a fan of big wheels and I've never liked them from the day I got the car. I've found on fleabay a set of 16" X-Type wheels but I don't recall seeing them on an X before. They are these, supposedly off a 2004 model...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

I've done a really bad mock-up below - the lighting was terrible this morning when I took the photo so this doesn't do it justice, but I think I quite like them - work well with the blue of Horus I think (or will when it's correct lighting!).

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

They are fairly local to me and £180 with the tyres, all of which are pretty good.

What's the view of the group here - or has anyone got these wheels and could let me see a photo of them on their car as a better comparison?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

TMW

PS Please don't judge me for my Paint skills...

·
Premium Member
2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 89K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats
6,628 Posts
Hey there...

I'm quite happy with the 17in Aguila/X-Sport wheels I fitted back in 2019. The car came with 16in 'Mondeo' wheels fitted when I bought the car back in 2017 and they did have to go.

This is the car with the 16in fitted... they did look ok, to be fair... but I did prefer the change to 17in and Falken tyres.

I bought my refurbished 17in Aguila's from a local company, PX Wheels - you could have a look at what they have to offer

This is the car with the 17in wheels - finished in silver with metal flake.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Those on your pics are 16" and will work OK, but for a Sov. I'd go for 17" They will add presence to a car.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link MarkFY to the list of wheels - so looks like those ones I've found are the Caicos ones. They are starting to grow on me, especially with the tyres...

I had a look at the link to pxwheels but the prices are a bit more than I can go to at the moment.

Tombo, I get what you're saying about 17s but at the same time, to me a wheel is just a wheel. So long as it is a Jaguar original it doesn't really bother me. I also, personally, think the smaller rim gives a better ride...

TMW

Reactions: MarkFY

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have both sets- Caicos on 16" and Arubas on 18". Caicos give better ride as there's more tyre on them, but to my mind anything larger does show off the car better. Each to their own though...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have both sets- Caicos on 16" and Arubas on 18". Caicos give better ride as there's more tyre on them, but to my mind anything larger does show off the car better. Each to their own though...
Have you got a photo with the Caicos on - can't find a decent angle on line to see how they really look ....

TMW

·
Registered
124 Posts
Got 16s on mine. Nice set of Pirelli P7's on there as everyone knows by now. Lovely smooth ride.

Reactions: tmwsccsh

·
Registered
597 Posts
It's all personal taste, but to me those 16's look too small on the car. Mine came with 17" Barbados and I much prefer the look of the 17's over the 16's. However, like Ian-a says, its your car, so do whatever suits you. You'll get a bit better mpg if the drop I experienced in mpg when I fitted ST24 alloys to my old Mondeo is anything to go by.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Reactions: tmwsccsh

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Better mpg? I'm all over this now.

Always thought Horus was never as economical as Salem - he had 16s and the same engine.

I wonder....

TMW

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Willing to be educated here: in olden times, if you changed the rolling radius of the wheels it would affect the speedo reading. I’m aware that if you increase the wheel diameter and drop the aspect ratio of the tyre then the rolling radius is notionally the same and vice versa, but in these modern times of electronic speedometers: is the above still the case? Just curious…….

·
Registered
703 Posts
Personally, I think larger wheels suit the car better (mine sits on 18" Proteus alloys) but in your situation with, presumably, most use on local, narrow, possibly rough(?) roads you should benefit from improved ride quality and cheaper tyre replacement costs. Go for it 👍🏻

·
Registered
597 Posts
Better mpg? I'm all over this now.

Always thought Horus was never as economical as Salem - he had 16s and the same engine.

I wonder....

TMW
Yes, wider tyres have a larger contact patch so therefore more friction thus need more engine power to overcome it. I was running LPG on the Mondeo with a 60ltr tank and I noticed after putting the wider wheels on, I went from 195s to 205s, the fuel consumption went up. I was doing 22,000 miles PA, but seeing as I was paying 29p a litre, I wasn't really that bothered. Sold the car to my brother and he was doing 60 miles a day and he went back to the steel wheels and noticed a huge increase in mpg, he'd gone back to running petrol by then and was paying over 80p a litre, so it was noticeable to him.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally, I think larger wheels suit the car better (mine sits on 18" Proteus alloys) but in your situation with, presumably, most use on local, narrow, possibly rough(?) roads you should benefit from improved ride quality and cheaper tyre replacement costs. Go for it 👍🏻
It's like you say, it's all personal preference. I've never been a wheel man and my previous 2 X-Types both had 16s and I was more than happy with them. Never liked the 18s on Horus so to me this is an improvement.

Need to test this mpg thing next week!

TMW

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Willing to be educated here: in olden times, if you changed the rolling radius of the wheels it would affect the speedo reading. I’m aware that if you increase the wheel diameter and drop the aspect ratio of the tyre then the rolling radius is notionally the same and vice versa, but in these modern times of electronic speedometers: is the above still the case? Just curious…….
……any takers on this query? 🥺

·
Premium Member
23,456 Posts
I would think so John as the differences between the two examples may be too small to measure or make any difference at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
The speedo takes a reading usually from the gearbox and that is geared or electronically calculated to display on the instruments. The mechanical difference at the tyre doesn't change. If a tyre has a different rolling circumference, it will affect both types of speedometers in the same way. The two types might differ in accuracy but as they are designed to over-read anyway, it isn't a big deal if you use an approved tyre size.

I'm guessing that the electronic instrument is more accurate, as it is easy to monitor the speed accurately and then just add a margin at the display. The old-style cable driven ones seemed to be more inaccurate as the speed increased, possibly something to do with the way the rotating drive was converted to a needle position.

Reactions: 98_Martin and JohnW
1 - 20 of 39 Posts