Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After 3 and a bit weeks of trouble free driving too and from work (30 miles each way) i decided to take the car on a longer excursion to Milton Keynes from where i live which is about 51 miles give or take.
When i was about 8 Miles from my destination an orange light popped on followed swiftly by the engine management light and a nice little message on the Trip Screen informing me that "Cruise is Unavailable", my immediate response to the car was "Thats because you don't have bloody Cruise Control" to which the Cat responded with a red light and a "High Temperature" Warning.
When i glanced at the Temp gauge she was well into the red so i swiftly pulled over and popped the bonnet but was greeted with nothing more than the temperature i was expecting after a 40+ mile journey. So completely bemused i rang my brother who was the second owner of the car (I'm 3rd) and he told me that it had happened to him and the first owner as well and that all i needed to do was leave it off for 5 minutes and then restart her and continue.

Luckily the friend i was going to see in MK was a Subaru nut and already owned a diagnostic reader so after plugging in the Cat it said that there is a fault with the temp sensor. But according to my receipts she only had a new one fitted in 2010 albeit it was fitted at a Jaguar Dealer in France and my French is rusty but that was the rough translation according to Babelfish.

Is it possible that the Sensor has failed again or is there another problem that the Diagnostic reader can't tell me about?

Also I took the car to Jaguar for a service about 2 weeks ago (She has a full Jaguar Service History and i wanted to continue that), they informed me that she needed a new Headlight because the "internals were broke" and then proceeded to quote me £515 plus VAT to have it replaced, needless to say i told them not to worry and I'd sort it myself. I investigated myself and it does seem that the dipped beam part of the unit is lose so it points pretty much wherever it likes.
Should i just replace the whole unit?

Many Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Hi DougSt This has happened to me a couple of times before, same message cruise not available and high temp. Nothing to worry about your car is not overheating! I usually just give the key a quick off on while driving (leave it in gear so engine does not stall) and this resets it no need to pull over! Although it is heart attack material its just a faulty sensor - cheap to fix infact it happened a few times before i eventually got the codes read!

I have recently retro fitted cruise control if your interested in that, really easy good mod, cheap as well

There is a thread or how to guide on fixing the headlights in this maze, maybe someone can point you in the right direction. Its either that or get your fingertips on ebay :D

Ryan

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
HNothing to worry about your car is not overheating! I usually just give the key a quick off on while driving (leave it in gear so engine does not stall) and this resets it no need to pull over!
Ryan
Wow - SCARY advice and a quick way to a serious accident, if you move the steering wheel slightly during that off time and the steering lock engages making it difficult to turn back on by the time you sort it out you could be well on the way to disaster!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Ryan (I guessed that could be well off the mark),
I would be interested in fitting Cruise actually as i do about 250 miles a week on the M/Way. And i'll have a look for the guide on repairing the headlamp, i certainly wasn't going to pay them £500+ to replace it.

I don't need to worry about switching off and on again as i pinched my friends Diagnostic reader £89 which reads and erases the codes as you please, well worth the money as it's already helped me identify the problem with the Jag and a lovely young ladies Fiesta putting me in "Knight in shining armour" status with her so i will certainly be buying one of my own in the near future....Just a shame it doesn't plug into my Triumph Stag :-(

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Wow - SCARY advice and a quick way to a serious accident, if you move the steering wheel slightly during that off time and the steering lock engages making it difficult to turn back on by the time you sort it out you could be well on the way to disaster!
I've never known a car's steering lock to ever come on unless the key was removed from the ignition, which was not what i was suggesting! You would have to take the key fully out then turn a corner for that to happen. As i said switching from position II to position I and back again shuts the cars electronics off and resets the fault.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
No problem Doug :D Is your car petrol or diesel and has it a manual or auto? If its manual check your brake and clutch pedals to see if it has the extra switches, 1 on clutch and 2 on brake. If it has these then all you need is the steering wheel controls :D If auto just look to see if it has 2 switches on the brake, if 1 then you will also need the loom and the extra switch for the pedal. Really easy job! Always good getting into the good books ;)

Thats the good old days of proper fault finding, and no stupid computers to get in the way!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah thanks for that Ryan, yeah she's a 2.5 V6 (Petrol obv) and a 5 speed manual so i'll take a look under the steering wheel tomorrow at lunch time.

Steve thats fantastic thank you so much for that. I was dreading having to replace the whole unit. Think i'll get both headlights done.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Doug - its underneath the pedals you want to look at. You should see 2 plunger type switches on the brake and 1 on the clutch, if so its already pre wired! If you just have the 1 on the brake and no clutch switch then you will need the throttle loom wire and 2 extra switches and of course the steering wheel controls. Cheap and cheerful :D

Ryan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brilliant thanks for that Steve. Really appreciate it.

PS

Where is that quote from? I swear i've heard that in a film but i can't remember it for the life of me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi DougSt This has happened to me a couple of times before, same message cruise not available and high temp. Nothing to worry about your car is not overheating! I usually just give the key a quick off on while driving (leave it in gear so engine does not stall) and this resets it no need to pull over! Although it is heart attack material its just a faulty sensor - cheap to fix infact it happened a few times before i eventually got the codes read!

I have recently retro fitted cruise control if your interested in that, really easy good mod, cheap as well

There is a thread or how to guide on fixing the headlights in this maze, maybe someone can point you in the right direction. Its either that or get your fingertips on ebay :D

Ryan
Hi Ryan, I'm having similar problems with mine, which sensor is faulty, and where is it located?? Thanks, Dave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.