Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this one has been done before, I did have a search on the forum.

Currently, my only option for in-car DAB, is to hook up a portable Roberts radio to the headphone input jack of the cassette unit (as per dutch-black-x's hack)
This works fine, but aesthetically, it doesn't really cut the mustard.

What are the favoured options by those in the know? I think Parrot used to be an option? My budget is £100.

I have premium sound and the above hack, but no ACM.

Or if there's an existing thread about this, just point me in the right direction.

Thanks all

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have tried an Auto Dab from Connects2 and although it has a few plus points, I think the performance and use has been a bit of a miss. The unit is effectively an FM modulator and can be hidden behind the ashtray and hard wired into the cig socket. It broadcasts on 87 something on FM. The reception is remarkably clear, but I have found that the DAB reception with the supplied aerial is a little poor in different areas, so I may try a better aerial. I have a proper DAB radio in another car and the reception is fine.

Rather cleverly the Auto Dab uses the RDS signal to give station info on the screen of the Jag radio, so you obviously know which station you are on.

Unfortunately the worst part of the set up is the remote that is the only way to control the unit. It has presets etc, but the unit takes time to change channel as you have to wait for the RDS signal each time you move up a station and is therefore quite slow.

I may have been a little over critical maybe as I use the DAB primarily to listen to the cricket, but only when we are winning! And that is fine. For general perusing of channels, a bit clunky.

·
Registered
128 Posts
....I may have been a little over critical maybe as I use the DAB primarily to listen to the cricket, but only when we are winning! And that is fine. For general perusing of channels, a bit clunky.
The cricket was exactly the reason I fitted an Android unit with DAB in mine :) It works fine now but the biggest problem I had was getting a good strong signal from the usual windscreen stick on aerial, eventually I bit the bullet and bought a JVC HAL2 to replace the original Jag aerial. I've not seen the signal drop below 5 bars since.

PS. When testing another unit on the bench I got very good DAB reception using a GPS antenna with the same SMA connector, certainly a lot better than the one supplied with the DAB USB module.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just revisiting and refreshing this helpful thread, which I found whilst in the process of moving my Pioneer DEH8700DAB into my newly purchased X-Type in place of the original CD / phone setup this week:
  1. to my delight I found that a powered DAB antenna amplifier (which takes a power feed from the Pioneer radio wiring and can be acquired for about £20 on amazon / eBay) which I was already using on the Pioneer in my previous car (1995 Mercedes C180) sufficiently amplified the Jag aerial signal to allow me to get a full suite of DAB stations and proceed without placing an aerial on the front windscreen.
  2. the fibre optics connection to the existing Jag stereo is now redundant, so I simply taped that up.
  3. I used the Dynamic Sounds fascia / steering wheel control loom. At first the steering wheel controls weren't working, until I realised that I'd erroneously put the 3.5mm jack from the Dynamic Sounds kit into the aux rather than w/r socket on the 8700DAB - quick swap and everything was working fine.
  4. The DEH8700DAB is ever so slightly too "deep" to sit flush against the fascia: for now I've put a strip of black insulating tape around the lip of the stereo to disguise the silver metal and at some point I'll try and find a plastic surround that is a bit deeper.
Curiously when I first drove the car after the above (and whilst I hadn't realised that the steering wheel controls weren't working as per 3) I had the EML light come on whilst driving at around 30mph. It was the first time I'd ever seen the EML (and hopefully the last time for a long time!) After stopping the car and switching the engine back on it disappeared and has not come back. Could there be any connection between the work carried out above and the EML?

·
Premium Member
2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 88K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats
6,289 Posts
Just revisiting and refreshing this helpful thread, which I found whilst in the process of moving my Pioneer DEH8700DAB into my newly purchased X-Type in place of the original CD / phone setup this week:
Curiously when I first drove the car after the above (and whilst I hadn't realised that the steering wheel controls weren't working as per 3) I had the EML light come on whilst driving at around 30mph. It was the first time I'd ever seen the EML (and hopefully the last time for a long time!) After stopping the car and switching the engine back on it disappeared and has not come back. Could there be any connection between the work carried out above and the EML?
I'd get a Code Reader to see if there are any codes left behind that would have triggered the EML. Best not to ignore these things as they can be quite important. Also, an EML during an MOT is a failure as it is now classed as a 'major fault' so you want to make sure it doesn't just randomly re-appear.

The D2B connection (fibre optics) from the headunit run through to the boot. CD Jukebox, Sat Nav and Premium amplifier sit on the D2B network, as do the Phone and Voice Modules. Obviously these may not be fitted. However, as the headunit is the "D2B gateway" you should probably unplug any of these modules in the boot as they will no longer function. Having said that, I doubt this would have any impact on your EML.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd get a Code Reader to see if there are any codes left behind that would have triggered the EML. Best not to ignore these things as they can be quite important. Also, an EML during an MOT is a failure as it is now classed as a 'major fault' so you want to make sure it doesn't just randomly re-appear.

The D2B connection (fibre optics) from the headunit run through to the boot. CD Jukebox, Sat Nav and Premium amplifier sit on the D2B network, as do the Phone and Voice Modules. Obviously these may not be fitted. However, as the headunit is the "D2B gateway" you should probably unplug any of these modules in the boot as they will no longer function. Having said that, I doubt this would have any impact on your EML.
Thanks for your reply.

I bought a Bluetooth code reader and Torque Pro is reporting P1638 and P1699 as current faults and P1111 as a pending fault. I'm doing some digging into all of these before I am comfortable enough to delete them. It seems that P1111 may be of no concern from my research so far.

Notably the previous owner discovered after having garaged the car for the last 9 months that the battery had died and had to buy a replacement before sale, and the passenger wing repeater light had also blown and I had to replace this unit. I understand the former may at least play a part in these codes being generated.

·
Premium Member
2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 88K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats
6,289 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I bought a Bluetooth code reader and Torque Pro is reporting P1638 and P1699 as current faults and P1111 as a pending fault. I'm doing some digging into all of these before I am comfortable enough to delete them. It seems that P1111 may be of no concern from my research so far.

Notably the previous owner discovered after having garaged the car for the last 9 months that the battery had died and had to buy a replacement before sale, and the passenger wing repeater light had also blown and I had to replace this unit. I understand the former may at least play a part in these codes being generated.

Network communications related. Although the above relates to an X350 XJ from 2003, the codes are still relevant. Did you disconnect the battery whilst replacing the headunit? May be worth disconnecting and reconnecting to effectively reset everything. Clear the codes and see if they come back.

P1111 is not a fault code. It is a special designator Jaguar uses meaning system ready, drive cycles completed after the last fault event.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the very quick response - I didn't disconnect the battery whilst replacing the head unit but take the point that disconnecting and reconnecting everything might be worthwhile.

Sorry for what is probably a silly question but from what I have seen on YouTube re clearing codes on Torque Pro, it appears that it is all or nothing - you cannot pick and choose particular codes - so presumably clearing P1111 won't cause any issues?

Overall, thanks to your advice and the other posts I have read I'm sensing this maybe isn't as serious an issue as I first feared when I saw the EML light, and Torque Pro and the OBDii reader was £13 well spent! Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Thanks for the very quick response - I didn't disconnect the battery whilst replacing the head unit but take the point that disconnecting and reconnecting everything might be worthwhile.

Sorry for what is probably a silly question but from what I have seen on YouTube re clearing codes on Torque Pro, it appears that it is all or nothing - you cannot pick and choose particular codes - so presumably clearing P1111 won't cause any issues?

Overall, thanks to your advice and the other posts I have read I'm sensing this maybe isn't as serious an issue as I first feared when I saw the EML light, and Torque Pro and the OBDii reader was £13 well spent! Thank you.
You won't actually be able to clear the P1111 code. As it isn't a fault code as such, it's a normal code that will be present when systems have started up ok. https://www.engine-codes.com/p1111_jaguar.html

I would always recommend an iCarsoft reader such as the i930. It costs a bit more than £13 but it will read Jaguar specific codes from key modules. The generic readers are ok for the most basic of diagnostics but you would quickly run into the limitations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello.
New member here. I have an 09 X Type Soveriegn Estate 2.2D, i thought all the later facelift ones had DAB included, I did see it another I test drove before I bought this one, It has the wired rear side window which I gather is the DAB aerial, but can only select fm, mw, and lw.
Any ideas why its not on there?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Hello.
New member here. I have an 09 X Type Soveriegn Estate 2.2D, i thought all the later facelift ones had DAB included, I did see it another I test drove before I bought this one, It has the wired rear side window which I gather is the DAB aerial, but can only select fm, mw, and lw.
Any ideas why its not on there?
Thanks in advance.
I imagine it was still an option, rather than being standard. Check in the boot behind the side carpet on the left hand side to see if the dab module is fitted, Also, the cd/Radio head unit should have a BAND button.

You could also probably bring up the hidden secret menu on the Touchscreen to view a list of connected modules.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.
Yes it has the Band button, thats why I thought it had DAB. I will have a look behind the carpet as you suggest, on the left is the cd changer and sat nav, us it with them? The other side has the bass speaker for for the premium sound system.
How can i access this hidden menu?
Thank you for your advice.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Hi.
Yes it has the Band button, thats why I thought it had DAB. I will have a look behind the carpet as you suggest, on the left is the cd changer and sat nav, us it with them? The other side has the bass speaker for for the premium sound system.

Paul.
Yep, the DAB module would be on the left hand side along with the CDC, Amp, etc.

For the secret diags menu... Press TELEPHONE and MENU buttons simultaneously and then enter 1971. Under no circumstances should you press the S/W Update button.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
DAB was still an option, even in the Sovereign. Mines has an ACM unit but no DAB, but from what I hear, the reception is terrible in certain areas, mine included.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hi.

Paul.
Be very careful with that hidden menu! Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES press the "S/W update" button, you will Brick your system. Be warned!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same issue as you same equipment but would love a factory dab. I looked into it a while ago and it seems you need a DAB module a MOST module and some cables and possibly some other parts. There was also mention of software update and having latest sat nav for it to work. If anyone knows how to do it on an 08 facelift and can guide me it'd be much appreciated. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts