Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every Thursday night I cut through a local authority housing estate as I take my son to football training and, as you might expect, there are various cars and vans parked up outside people's homes.

Perhaps unsurprisingly they're mostly run-of-the-mill hatchbacks, vans and other bread and butter vehicles. But every time I pass through there's always this big Daimler XJ 350 parked, somewhat incongruously, outside this little pebble-dashed semi.

I always wonder whose car it is - is it some gent living in 'reduced circumstances', or perhaps a real enthusiast who has scrimpted and saved to buy this lovely car. Or maybe it's someone who doesn't really know what he's driving.

Either way, I've always liked the Daimler XJ, the little differences in trim and style have always appealed as has its rareness. This car is an unusual colour too, it looks like a very dark maroon, almost brown colour - which might sound a bit strange but it does look good set against the chrome and cream leather.

I would be interested to hear other poster's thought on the Daimler version of this fine car.

· Registered
889 Posts
Aren't 'ordinary' people living in pebble-dashed houses allowed to own nice cars?

· Premium Member
708 Posts
Aren't 'ordinary' people living in pebble-dashed houses allowed to own nice cars?
Oh dear, someone's had a bad day and wants to fight everybody :)

· Registered
889 Posts
Had a rather good day actually and, I left my fighting days at the local authority housing estate where I lived many years ago.

If you re-read your original post I'm sure you will agree that there is a hint of superciliousness.

· Banned
7,619 Posts
I am stunned to find that Westminster rather than being a London Gentleman appears to be a Bog Standard Yorkshireman :-D
Lets hope he isn't ferrying whippets in his X350 and wears a soft hat rather than a flat cap , I hate to see standards slip

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The point is, the Daimler is a rare, unusual and traditionally expensive car often associated with aristocrats, plutocrats, ministers of state and other such folk, and frankly it does stand out in its surroundings parked up next to much more everyday vehicles. So maybe chill out, my friend.

By the way, I'm one of those 'ordinary people' (as you call them) who grew up on a local authority estate and is now the proud owner of an XJ Sovereign.

Anyway, back on topic - is anybody else a fan of the Daimler version of this model?

· Registered
228 Posts
There’s a lovely black one come up for sale on Autotrader at 15 grand.
I just can’t value it at nigh on double the cost of a jag super v8 though.

· Registered
228 Posts
I think you would struggle to get a comparable Jaguar SuperV8 for £7K , I forget the cost of the JagWestLondon car ? £11k 95000 2004 .
It's 10 grand now.
Private sale Jag Super V8's are around 7-8 grand for similar ages, and the Daimler is a private sale at 15k so a reasonable comparison.
The Daimler's are my favourite version of the X350 but not at that kind of up-lift.

· Premium Member
6,570 Posts
I am stunned to find that Westminster rather than being a London Gentleman appears to be a Bog Standard Yorkshireman :-D
Lets hope he isn't ferrying whippets in his X350 and wears a soft hat rather than a flat cap , I hate to see standards slip
Steady Red,

'Appen I'll have to send the girls down, the girls being ferrets.

A Bog Standard Yorkshireman I might be but I'll have you know It's a Panama for me when wafting :-D

· Premium Member
6,570 Posts
Every Thursday night I cut through a local authority housing estate as I take my son to football training and, as you might expect, there are various cars and vans parked up outside people's homes.

Perhaps unsurprisingly they're mostly run-of-the-mill hatchbacks, vans and other bread and butter vehicles. But every time I pass through there's always this big Daimler XJ 350 parked, somewhat incongruously, outside this little pebble-dashed semi.

I always wonder whose car it is - is it some gent living in 'reduced circumstances', or perhaps a real enthusiast who has scrimpted and saved to buy this lovely car. Or maybe it's someone who doesn't really know what he's driving.

Either way, I've always liked the Daimler XJ, the little differences in trim and style have always appealed as has its rareness. This car is an unusual colour too, it looks like a very dark maroon, almost brown colour - which might sound a bit strange but it does look good set against the chrome and cream leather.

I would be interested to hear other poster's thought on the Daimler version of this fine car.
Private plate, parks down hill facing Morrisons end of the road by any chance?

If so it had done 225,000 miles the last time I checked its MOT history and it's sunroof is sealed with duct tape.

If as I suspect you waft the same roads I do, keep your eye out for me :-D

Rich

· Banned
7,619 Posts
It's 10 grand now.
Private sale Jag Super V8's are around 7-8 grand for similar ages, and the Daimler is a private sale at 15k so a reasonable comparison.
The Daimler's are my favourite version of the X350 but not at that kind of up-lift.
Similar Ages but Similar Mileages ? And where are they , nice ones are few and far between as you are finding out .
I suppose this is how this car is so pricey , have you checked its MOT history out of interest ?

· Premium Member
6,570 Posts
Are you in Reduced Circumstances too Rich :-D
It would appear so Red.

As I only have the Super V8 it makes me wonder, no realise, what I could have achieved had I not spent 6 years binge drinking and chasing wimin in the RN.

Still, I'll try redeem myself with the next Jag.

:-D

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
It would appear so Red.

As I only have the Super V8 it makes me wonder, no realise, what I could have achieved had I not spent 6 years binge drinking in the RN.

Still, I'll try redeem myself with the next Jag.

:-D
If you can remember how long Rich, you didn't do enough. Shame on you.:mrgreen:

· Premium Member
6,570 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
£15K's strong money but maybe worth it for a nice example, they're just so rare. I wouldn't fancy the one on Autotrader at the moment though. Black on black doesn't do it for me, just a bit too funereal for me.

ps. No such thing as a bog standard Yorkshireman. We're all special here, especially us Jag owners :-D

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Private plate, parks down hill facing Morrisons end of the road by any chance?

If so it had done 225,000 miles the last time I checked its MOT history and it's sunroof is sealed with duct tape.

If as I suspect you waft the same roads I do, keep your eye out for me :-D

Rich
Yes, that's the one. In Almondbury, Rich. Small word, mate!

Didn't know about the mileage or the sunroof. Doesn't sound great

· Registered
881 Posts
The colour I think you are describing was a very deep crimson type red , it was definitely only available on the Daimler and not the jaguar cars.
I am sure a google search will tell the name of the colour.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.