Jaguar Forum banner

Decisions

5K views 86 replies 15 participants last post by  mac_doctor 
#1 ·
With a heavy heart I am about to trade my beloved X358 for an X351 and just a few questions if I may:-

1) Is the door handle issue common to all or just after a certain date, the posts seem to be mainly around post 2015 models.

2) I read somewhere that the sun roof rattle is mainly on cold damp mornings and goes once warmed up, is this right?

3) Is the 8 speed gearbox worth having compared to the 6 speed one?

Thanks in advance and in general for the mine of information available here to help with the decision.

#2 ·
The door handle /looks seem to be a problem for all years although mine (2010) have been OK so far.

My sunroof has no rattles /creaks although I have had problems with the blinds.

Mine has the 6 speed transmission but I think the 8 speed will give better fuel efficiency.

#3 ·
Hi David, I see you're where I was at around 2 and a half years ago now?!!

I dreaded selling my X358 as I loved her to bits, but, that said, it was time to move on and that's what I did.

Glad to see you're thinking of the X351 and may be joining the ever growing fold in that section, a lot busier now than it was maybe 1-2 years ago for sure.

The door handle / latch issue seems to be prevalent across all the years as far as I can tell.
The sunroof issue sounds about right, although I have no issue with mine
I believe the 8 speed is improved over the 6 speed which was carried over from the X350, the 8 speed came in around 2012 I think

Enquiring minds want to know, please tell us more
What year and model are you considering?
Diesel or Petrol?

Give us the low down..........

Jim

#4 ·
2013 SWB premium luxury diesel, swore blind never to have another DERV, Caviar, cream leather totally gorgeous and test driving this time tomorrow, santa may be coming early to us!

Only 2 out there with London Tan and both high miles so sadly wont be joining you much as I would like that, or Cranberry.

Will close out my X358 thread with reason why it has to go.

Reactions: GRTD and JimC64
#5 ·
Hey David, sounds nice, clock watching much??

London tan is a little rarer that's true, the Caviar with cream will be beautiful.

Any links so we can see or are you keeping it close to your chest?

Jim

#6 · (Edited)
My 2010/11 Portfolio needed two new door handle motors in the two years that I had it.

If you are buying a diesel, I would definitely aim at a Euro5 rather than a Euro6 unless you are one of the fortunate few that can drive long distances frequently In these straitened times.

The sunroof rattle is persistent but unpredictable, in my experience. If you have it: apparently not all do. The Portfolio had it, sometimes I would swear that it was the cold that caused it, other times the dry, other times the sign of the zodiac. You get used to it, and miss it when it stops.

#7 ·
My sticky door handles appear to have gone (at least for now) as a result of a few squirts of silicon spray.

Reactions: JimC64
#8 ·
I can't compare too much, but I'd agree that the door latch issue seems to happen to all ages.
I have not had a rattle from the sunroof..... yet!
I have the 8 speed box and other than it takes a long time to kick down sometimes I have no issue with it. TBH if I am planning some right foot shenanigans then I flick the gear knob round to S anyway and then the right cog is much nearer.

#9 ·
I’ve moved from an x350 to an x351 and have no regrets whatsoever.
I know that my old XJ6 is in good hands with a new owner who is chuffed with it, so all is good with the world.

Reactions: JimC64 and #steve
#11 ·
The ZF 8 speed is in a whole raft of applications with a boat load of manufacturers for a reason, it is jolly good, prob best around at the moment. Had it in 2 BMW platforms and it is stonking.

Reactions: GRTD
#13 ·
Totally awesome, cant wait to collect her.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Cloud

#14 ·
Nice one David, another for Mac to add to the fold and ever growing numbers of 351 owners

Looking forward to hearing more...

Jim

Reactions: #steve
#17 ·
No sadly its a poverty spec Premium Luxury, what colour should I paint the callipers?

Reactions: WelshBoa and GRTD
#21 ·
Yep that's what it will be called....

Reactions: JimboV8
#24 ·
Welcome to the future, sir!

(I'm fairly sure that everyone can guess my vote on the caliper colour)

#35 ·
What mileage is she sitting at David, around 55k there or thereabouts?

Any plans for her in terms of maintenance / mods etc?

Jim

#37 ·
You have got to be Psychic Jim, 56016 when I took her for a spin, as I said to Mrs R it does not need any mods etc, buuuuuuut I do have a nice set of MSW 30 summer wheels that will probably work well with the colour. Of course I do have to add something from past generations to my cats, X358 has e-type 4.2 badge and earlier V8 badges on the window trims, so a nice chrome XJ6 badge from a series 3 is on its way and a later boot badge with the leaper and jaguar script.

Calipers are still undecided I thought I had some Mazda Copper Red in stock but cant find it, I do have silver and black though.

When I used dynamic mode I did think the throttle blipped on the downshift, or was it just me being clumsy?

Reactions: #steve and JimC64
#41 ·
I did forget to look at the fluid yesterday but given the overall standard of the car I would expect the previous owner will have had it sorted out as a matter of course, if not I will insist on a change before I accept her. Gear box oil is on my to do list, did it on the blue XJ8 and made a significant difference.

#46 ·
Roller coaster day yesterday, call at 11.00 to say Yahuu was in the workshop and when did I want to collect her, yesterday was the answer of course. Mad day in the office with everyone wanting to clear their desks by 5.00 and mine being the last in line, checked MOT site and sure enough 12 months now on her, dealer gone home so will sort in the morning. After an unusual socially distanced drink with the 6 colleagues left in the office I left around 6.30, drove off and thought this doesn’t feel right, pulled over and both near side tyres flat, Merry Christmas from the Fleetwood scrotes! To Asda to put some air in, usual knackered airline, phone call from finance co to finalise whilst wrestling with airline, will send docs to electronically sign but be careful as security questions are tough and you only get one chance. Back home a coffee and warm up and tackled the docs, failed miserably, not a clue how long I have had my current mobile contract, it is a convenience device and not joined at the hip like some.

So I am guessing it will be some time next week before Yahuu takes up residence here, gutted but its worth waiting for.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all, let’s hope we can catch up in 2021

Reactions: JimC64 and GRTD
#48 ·
Just chilling before the hoards descend, well sister in law and her chap, it’s going to be a quiet one.

Yahuu nearly happened yesterday but foiled at the last minute, serviced mot’d and niggles nearly sorted, apparently the boot close switch not working goes further and reverse camera and park sensors aren’t working either, could be a fuse? Or are they switchable on and off? No doubt the garage will sort when they get back on 4th Jan but it may be something very simple, any thoughts gratefully received.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.