Desperate for help to get my car Jaguar back from a mechanic after over two months

capri v8 driver

Reaction score
in the U.K. the garage is under no obligation to return the car until the bill is paid ,

But there are some rules (depending on the country you live in). Yess the garage can keep the car till the bill is payed (in most European countries). However the garage is not allowed to use or sell the car. The garage also needs to make sure nothing happens to the car and the car is in a secure location.

I would pay the bill for the diagnostics and ask for a written bill witch you can dispute if needed and get the car away form that garage. For that reason i already mentioned : or maybe beter a lawyer.

s collins

Reaction score
the garage owner is responsible for the storage and well being of the car while it is in his custody,however costs to do so can also be added to the ever increasing bill 🤔

capri v8 driver

Reaction score
The mechanic is saying he cannot get the handbrake on. He has not been able to fix it, and keeps coming up with different problems.

Every time I have had to chase the mechanic for an update but without too much detail on him, he obviously doesn't know what the problem is. he events have gone as follows;
  • Mechanic said they did a diagnostic check which showed nothing. He said that it needed a new handbrake switch which he ordered and subsequently fitted. This did not resolve the issue.
  • He then said that the diagnostic did show faults and the codes were B1262 Defrost Server motor-circuit, B1265 Cool air motor failure, B1318 Battery voltage low
  • He said it was the electric handbrake motor and subsequently removed the handbrake motor and tried to fix the motor. He re fitted it but this didn’t work.
  • He said he needed a new one, which he has fitted and that didn’t fix the issue.
  • He put a new battery on it just to check and that didn’t work.
  • I have said I am concerned about racking up costs and he has informed me I can buy a second-hand parking brake module which he will fit

however costs to do so can also be added to the ever increasing bill 🤔

Its clear the mechanic cant fix the car. He tried several thing but the issue remains. Now is the question why doesn't the garage give the car back as they are not able to fix it??? Sdevis never said he would not pay the bill but is worried that the bill would rack up and he just want his car back.

In his case i would mail (written proof) the garage and ask for a bill and pay for the bill (and dispute it later as the never where able to fix the problem) .

If the garage still refuses to give the car back after i offered to pay the bill then it would be theft.

s collins

Reaction score
Sdevis never said he wouldn’t pay 🤔 can you highlight the part of his thread where he said he would😏

ducmon

Reaction score
How is it going?

Just to add my thoughts

My park brake was jamming on when my REM was failing. I think that this module communicates with the front electronic switch and the rear brake module.

All of my scan tools. SDD/IDS and icarsoft said that the REM was out of voltage range and not that it was faulty.

I had quite a few grey hairs added when trying to sort out this fault.