Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out this evening and the number of cars with DLR that were running in the dark without rear lights was a little concerning. The DLR's are so bright that the driver obviously does not realized that the lights have not been turned on.
I know the later Jags have the auto lights which override the DLR's when the light deteriorates but that only happens if auto has been selected.
I think the problem is that when DLR's are on the dash lights are on too.
Gone are the days when one would flash the oncoming driver to indicate that he has no lights on:-? . I wonder what the driver would think if someone was to flash him from behind, dread to think:-D

Roger

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
This is one of my (many) pet hates. See it every day. Numpties.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Made even worse bcause most cars these days have the dashboard lit all the time the ignition is turned on.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Coming home last night at 8:15 I moved over for a marked police car on blues & twos, and as it passed I saw it had no rear lights!

Now that is embarrassing.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Fail to see any advantages to DLR,but the above posts all highlight the snags.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coming home last night at 8:15 I moved over for a marked police car on blues & twos, and as it passed I saw it had no rear lights!

Now that is embarrassing.
Did you flash him:-D

Roger

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not to want to nit-pick, but I keep reading the TLA above as Docklands Light Railway (DLR) and was expecting a commentary on automated public transport rather than Daytime Running Lights (DRL).

Back on track - yes far to many drivers rely on them when dipped beams should be applied. Worse still are the ones pulling out of the well lit supermarket carparks with no lights at all.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've been in that boat a couple of times, both me and the wife in her car have auto lights set. For some reason the garage turns them off when in service. Under street lights you don't notice as you have DRL and the dashboard is lit, the only difference is the headlamp lit indication doesn't show. On my wife's lexus she has a green light to indicate the front parking sensors are working which confuses the issue. TBH without getting out and looking it is very hard to tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been in that boat a couple of times, both me and the wife in her car have auto lights set. For some reason the garage turns them off when in service. Under street lights you don't notice as you have DRL and the dashboard is lit, the only difference is the headlamp lit indication doesn't show. On my wife's lexus she has a green light to indicate the front parking sensors are working which confuses the issue. TBH without getting out and looking it is very hard to tell the difference.
My point exactly. The garages turn the auto off when checking the light functions but never reset it as you left it. Most annoying.

Roger

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
My point exactly. The garages turn the auto off when checking the light functions but never reset it as you left it. Most annoying.

Roger
Ah, never thought of that as the reason, thanks for the heads up chaps.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
In the XJ if the lights are off and it's dark, it says "lights are off" in the message centre. I don't see why most modern cars don't have this feature. I always assumed the garage turned the lights off to not waste the battery and stop them flicking on off when moving it in and out of the work shop.
Though I think the main issue is that dashboards tend to lit up all the time now, instead of just when the lights are activated.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hence why I hate/detest DLR’s, just the other week I flashed a car I was following for having no rear lights on and the gu6 then followed me into Tesco’s car park tried threatening to “punch my lights out and who do you think you’re flashing at, do you know who I am etc”, after I stopped laughing at him, I pointed out it was because he had no rear lights on, he then cursed his fffing DRL’s, then warned me again “who he was”, then drove off. I’m still laughing at him now. ������

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Back in the olden days,when every car was equipped with a dynamo,we used to turn our headlights off as we entered a 'built up area' to 'save the battery'.....if it was a wet night and wipers were needed,it was often a straight choice between wipers and headlights.

Then alternators arrived,reaching even lowly mini's and Ford Anglia's by the mid 1970's.These newfangled devices allowed us to use headlights and wipers,amazing!
But old habits died hard,we were still demolishing those who could not tell the difference between a standing vehicle and a moving vehicle.

So in the mid 1980's,a system called 'dim-dip' was made mandatory.When both sidelights and ignition was switched on,headlights were on at half power.Wonderfull! The pensioners could identify the moving car and large numbers of lives were saved.

Into the 1990's,and we had all got used to driving with our headlights on,and even owner's of classic cars were retro-fitting alternators so that they too could reap the safety advantages of headlights when ever the vehicle was in use,so the 'dim dip' requirement was quietly dropped.

Then they made DRL compulsary,these things are so bright that headlights are redundant,but for some obscure reason do not light up the rear of the vehicle.

One would have thought,with all the above history lesson,'they' would have got it right this time around!

G

·
......So in the mid 1980's,a system called 'dim-dip' was made mandatory.When both sidelights and ignition was switched on,headlights were on at half power.Wonderfull! The pensioners could identify the moving car and large numbers of lives were saved.

Into the 1990's,and we had all got used to driving with our headlights on,and even owner's of classic cars were retro-fitting alternators so that they too could reap the safety advantages of headlights when ever the vehicle was in use,so the 'dim dip' requirement was quietly dropped.

Then they made DRL compulsary,these things are so bright that headlights are redundant,but for some obscure reason do not light up the rear of the vehicle.

One would have thought,with all the above history lesson,'they' would have got it right this time around!
I've always thought that dim-dip was by far the best system when driving at night through well-lit streets. They were much brighter than just tiny side lights (no LEDs then) and could be seen as a moving vehicle but more importantly they didn't dazzle on-coming drivers. There wasn't then and even now I don't think there is a legal requirement to have headlights on when there are sufficient street lights - I believe it depends on the distance between each street lamp or of course visibility conditions.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I've always thought that dim-dip was by far the best system when driving at night through well-lit streets. They were much brighter than just tiny side lights (no LEDs then) and could be seen as a moving vehicle but more importantly they didn't dazzle on-coming drivers. There wasn't then and even now I don't think there is a legal requirement to have headlights on when there are sufficient street lights - I believe it depends on the distance between each street lamp or of course visibility conditions.
Why the system was dropped is a mystery!
I can see no gain with DRL,the issue 'back in the day' was elderly pedestrians being un-able to tell the difference between a stationary vehicle and a moving one in artificial light...dimdip was the perfect solution.At a wild guess,it failed to 'harmonise' with our mates in the EU,as it seemed to be a UK only demand.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the manufacturers had the rear lights turned on with the DLR's there would be no problem.
Volvo had them for many years, They used 1/5 power for both front and rear sidelights, then they used the dip beam too, but still had the rears.

Roger

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.