Do not buy a diesel xe - worst car ever

Reaction score
It was Jaguar UK local dealer, did various checks over a period of 3 days. Their prognosis was new engine as compression had gone. Oil was in good condition, and correct level, turbo good condition. I had no intention of paying someone else to look at it at my cost just to be told yes it's knackered. The engine did turn over, with no nasty noises, just no compression. I was informed that everything as far as they could see was in order. So yes, could be valves though don't know. Why would Jag suggest a new engine if that is all it was, I think it is because they know it is a lot worse.,

MrKis

Reaction score
I don't blame you for not wanting to spend more money for a second opinion. My experience at garages over the years is; 'results may vary'.
Being kind I'd suggest; even good mechanics can have an off day.

When I had my first S type, a leak appeared under the gearbox and then it started to slip. I took it back to the main dealer, who after a few days diagnosed that a new gearbox was needed and that topping up the fluid had not resolved the issue. Suggesting that driving it had caused an internal failure.
I got my quote from them for a new gearbox and just before booking the job, I rang another main dealer (Wilmslow) and got a quote for the same gearbox replacement job.
The second quote was cheaper by a few hundred pounds but they wanted to do their own diagnostics too. (Still cheaper).
So I booked it into the main dealer in Wilmslow instead.
At the end of the day they rang and said that a new gearbox was not required and topping up the fluid cured the slipping. Saving me around £2500.
I guess all people are fallible.

When you have the old engine taken out, probably don't throw it away, not until the timing cover has been removed or the cylinder borescoped.

Fraser

Reaction score
If the engine turns over, and everything looks perfectly OK apart from lack of compression, does the answer lie here ? This is the description of the valve train- "fully variable". What if it a fault prevents the valves being fully closed at compression stroke ?

4 valves / cylinder, DOHC, chain-drive, electrohydraulic fully variable intake and exhaust valve lift system
Most main agents of any make of car will never do any engine strips, they just do parts swaps these days - engine gone ? new engine ! Only independent 3rd party shops do engine strip downs these days.

I found this on a Google search: -
and
I have to say I'm worried as I also have an XE, a May 2017 reg. 20D Portfolio.

vespa

Reaction score
About 2-3 years ago there was a recall for a camshaft adjustment. Has this been done or did you buy the car secondhand , that may have been used by a rep or a business use car, where the owner couldn't give two hoots about recalls or faults? I would think with the PCP schemes about now and very popular there will be loads of all car makes being driven and traded without recalls being carried out. I know of a white Merc A class that has not been taken in for at least 3 recalls for accelerator pedal snapping, fuel rail breaking and seatbelt problems. The owner is oblivious to the need to have the issues looked at, and refuses to accept what I have mentioned as Mercedes never have faults.

MrKis

Reaction score
Something like a timing chain stretch makes sense. There's no way an engine blows up beyond repair without so much as a whimper from it.

Trooper

Reaction score
Something like a timing chain stretch makes sense. There's no way an engine blows up beyond repair without so much as a whimper from it.
The op did continue to drive the car when he heard a rattling noise, and i would think that was to do with the timing chain.
The op hasn't left Jaguar as i believe he is buying a F Pace , so i'm sure he will have learned quite a bit from this experience and i certainly wouldn't have liked to be in that situation.

Trooper

Reaction score
The op did continue to drive the car when he heard a rattling noise, and i would think that was to do with the timing chain.
The op hasn't left Jaguar as i believe he is buying a F Pace , so i'm sure he will have learned quite a bit from this experience and i certainly wouldn't have liked to be in that situation.
I think that I've made a mistake in saying that the Op is going to buy a F Pace, i believe that this was related to another thread please accept my apologies.I'll need to keep the bottle corked when i'm on the Forum.
Regards Tom.

Reaction score
Not left Jaguar yet, but will never buy another Ingenium Diesel based car. I have a 3.0 litre XF Portfoliom which has issues, but repairable. I will possibly have another one of those, but pre going plastic and tacky so I think 2015 was the last decent one. After that it is good-bye Jaguar unless they sort themselves out.