Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL

Well i just thought id share our disastrous day out with you.

One fine early Sunday morning with no real plans & 2 children wanting to go out, so our eldest states she like to go skating
but with no real skate park to go to the wife has i bright idea of ice skating instead as there's one in east Kent somewhere so after a quick look on the web
we found our nearest ring was in Gillingham. (not to far about an hour or so away)

So off we go but our two children have never ice skated before lucky the ice ring has training aides to hire (push along penguins with extra large feet ) but to my amazement all that roller blade skating paid off within 3 goes around the ring they had ditched the training aides !!!! & where skating on there own OK they weren't that good but skating never the less

Well OK lets get to the expensive bit due to the fact there is a cafe within the ice-ring its very costly & of poor quality IE its crap

So the wife consults the sat-nav and finds a shopping center nearby so off we go for a short drive down the road.
Our children decide on going into KFC well we did give them the choice and park the car and LOCKING IT !!!! as we are just about to walk away this B-52 style seagull opens its bomb doors right on the bonnet i heard the bang and looked back -- (what a mess ) i wasn't happy although our offspring couldn't stop laughing

So here goes the costly bit ive said to the wife im not leaving that horrid looking stuff on the bonnet i will clean it off now (children have now stop laughing now due to the fact there hungry & will have to wait a little longer) lol

as the car has some cleaning & waxing autogylm bits left in the boot so i unlock the boot via the REMOTE auto boot release !!!! grab the glass cleaner and 2 micro cloths as this seems the best to use for B-52 bombers but it also takes the wax off too but ive put my KEY down in the BOOT. SO you may have guest what coming next after cleaning the dam mess off ive given the the glass cleaning bottle to the wife to put back in the boot while i buff off the bonnet with the 2nd cloth.

SO SHE PUTS THE SPRAY BOTTLE BACK THEN CLOSES THE BOOT !!!! OMG WHAT HAVE U DONE !!!! shes reply's what !!!

Well i cant blame her as i did put the dam keys down inside the boot in the 1st place

So i guess your laughing by now (well i would) after a few calls were made to green flag which i forgot to renew my membership (oh dear) and family our cheapest and quickest opt was to call a LOCAL TAXI COMPANY
due to the fact we could get hold of any of our family or Friends (funny that when u need them nobody's around) the only one mate i got hold of was in the pub and had one too many lol - and green flag state they may damage the lock with there entry kits with a cost of £155 call out plus the lock damage if coursed,

So as we are over an hour away from home and the only spare keys hanging in the key holder at home we opted for what seemed the cheapest (the taxi idea for £135)
to take us all home then bring me back to recover the car (not forgetting the dam spare keys) lol

The lessons to be learn`t from this ON A TRIP AWAY FROM HOME ARE

01 ALWAYS GIVE THE SPARE KEY TO THE WIFE !!! ps make sure she leaves the car with her handbag beforehand
02 DO-NOT LEAVE YOUR KEYS IN THE BOOT FOR WHATEVER REASON !!!!
03 DON'T FORGET TO RENEW YOUR BREAK DOWN SERVICE COVER

So with the cost of the fuel to get there plus a not cheep entry fee to the ice-ring plus extras and the cost of the KFC plus taxi fare it was a costly day our for all

PS- I DID GIVE THE WIFE THE BILL LOL

THANKS FOR READING

Frank & my poor wife Maria

·
Registered
664 Posts
If we are using the car on holiday we always cary a set of keys each (car and house). But I have to admit never really thought about it for a day trip (assumed buses/trains/taxis etc will suffice I suppose). Sorry that you had a spoiled day.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
I must be more paranoid than you - I never close a door unless I can feel the door's key in my hand, and I always carry spare keys in my pocket.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah I've made the lock-the-keys-in-the-car mistake twice in two different cars on two different continents. Once in the boot and the other time in the ignition (luckily it was off anyway...).

As a result I've become extremely paranoid about even closing an unlocked car door when the keys are inside!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife bought me a long key chain so that my keys were always attached to the belt loop on my trousers after being called out twice to bring me spare keys at work. Thirty six mile round trip every time. Works very well until you shut the boot lid without realising the keys are still in there, you walk away and rip the loop off your trousers. My wife got yet another long round trip.
is this better or worse than her leaving her keys in the fridge in a regular basis? ;)

·
Registered
17,905 Posts
Did exactly the same in my X Type
Parked in a multistorey,locked the doors,walking passed the back of the car noticed a watermark on the top of the rear bumper.
Unlocked the boot with the fob to get the microfibre cloth out of the boot to clean it off.
Placed keys temporarily in the boot,cleaned mark,put cloth in boot and shut lid....and got that feeling as I started to shut the lid that keys were in the boot but it was too late.
Fortunately with a piece of pointed wire (handy being in Europes largest shopping mall at the time) its possible to unlock all of the doors (not the boot though) by shorting one of the wires between the drivers door and wing.You open the drivers door and the alarm goes off for a while.
Remove the (fixed in my case probably easier with split fold) back seat base then backrest to access the boot and get the keys.
Funnily enough, have never done it again since!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I had a problem with a Rover SD1 way back in the early 90's. I left home in Sunderland at about 8 pm on a Sunday night and travelled to where I was working near to Ipswich. I got there at just after midnight and got out of the car to open the gates to the yard where my lorry was parked and where I was going to sleep for the night, leaving the car running and with the lights on full beam. It was pitch black outside and very quiet in the middle of a deserted Industrial estate. I closed the car door, and as soon as it shut I heard the central locking operate. I think at this point I may have said something like "oh dear me" or "oh bother". After a few minutes head scratching, I found a loose bit of wire on the chain link fence which I broke off and managed to push it through the door rubber to lift the door lock.

·
Registered
664 Posts
When I worked out how easy it was to get into my SD1 I took the door cards off and covered the locks with a piece of metal cut from a biscuit tin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did exactly this a few years ago in a remote car park in the West of Ireland, the vehicle was a Fiat Punto and this was before mobiles came ubiquitous, and we were 10 miles from the nearest village, and there was one other, unoccupied, vehicle in the car park. So after a lot of head scratching, looking for a dumped wire coat hanger etc. etc. I decided that I would stove in the rear quarter light and open up via the rear door. Just need a screwdriver, they're in the boot. Then the neighbors turn up, a couple from Germany on tour, I tell them what I'm going to and ask if he has a screwdriver. He says don't do that I'm an engineer for Volkswagen I'll get the car unlocked, great thought then he asks have you got a tennis ball, no says I , pity he says we could have put it over the key hole and hit it to open the locks, cutting it very short, he got the door open using a screwdriver, buggered the lock, cost €200 to replace, cost of a quaterlight glass €25. So always carry a tennis ball on your person, never let an engineer near your car and always break the cheapest item if you have to go that way

·
Registered
664 Posts
There was a Merc saloon in Tesco's car park this morning. Alarm going off. AA in attendance. Worried looking woman standing next to car. When I came back the AA man had the doors open and removed the back seat, presumably to get into the boot where the keys were.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.