Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused about driver-less cars which are being developed. Should anything happen to me and my wife ends up on her own will she be able to buy a driver-less car as she hasn't got a driving licence? Will blind people be able to use these cars on there own, and could they be sent without a passenger to collect something?

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
They will save 25,000 (or maybe many more) idiots round the world who kill themselves and others in crashes each year.

And 50,000 odd per year in the UK alone who crash into others.

The insurance companies will be happy.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
They will save 25,000 (or maybe many more) idiots round the world who kill themselves and others in crashes each year.
Possibly but it will still depend on the ability to detect obstacles so if something can't be detected, or if the sensors are fooled, the car could still hit it.

And 50,000 odd per year in the UK alone who crash into others.
See above

The insurance companies will be happy.
I very much doubt that, if autonomous vehicles have fewer accidents premiums will have to be reduced and there will be fewer garages charging premium rates for "Insurance" repairs so they won't be happy either.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Who's name is the insurance in. The Owner or the car. How can the insurance Co's give a quote on an unknown quantity. When a police car pulls up behind one with its two's and blues on how will the car know it has to stop:-? How will they determine blame for anything if the cars computers make a mistake:-? The list is endless.

Roger

·
Administrator
10,093 Posts
I’m a bit more cynical about the whole autonomous approach. Two massive players are going into it Apple and Google, more than 80% of Google’s revenue is via advertising. If you haven’t got anything to do because it’s self driven, they’ll bombard you with adverts. It’s a new line of revenue for them that’ll be massive.

It wont affect traffic as there’ll still be lots of it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Great idea. No more "Oh no, I can't drink cos I'm driving" nonsense, Just get tanked up and tell KITT to take me home. :) Maybe you can even train them to pick you up at a certain time. Oh the future looks bright!

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
You forgot already the Last Vegas incident.

The "AutoCar" stopped. No problem.

I'm wondering what would happen when 2 in each others way stop and the first tries to move on.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

·
Registered
22,331 Posts

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
And boring :-D
Not when your own car decides to kill you to save others!

You'd better hope the other car tries to save you, or always fill your car with people!

We got 6 in an original Fiat 500 in about 1970 to prove we could 8)

·
Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,626 Posts
Your driverless car will eventually have to make an ethical decision, example.

It's driving down a road at 60mph just around the next bend there is a crashed car, to avoid crashing into it the vehicle will have to swerve across the pavement.

On said pavement is a group of people Man, woman, children etc etc , what will the car do?

Will is sacrifice "the single human in the car" or will it think fook the people on the pavement, i'm running over 'em to save my passenger.

??

·
Premium Member
23,824 Posts
I’m in no way in favour of things Henry but, given your scenario, what would you do.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I'm in no way in favour of things Henry but, given your scenario, what would you do.
If i was in the car on my own, i would sacrifice myself, Obviously.

If i had a car full of people, then I pray This scenario never happens.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Your driverless car will eventually have to make an ethical decision, example.

It's driving down a road at 60mph just around the next bend there is a crashed car, to avoid crashing into it the vehicle will have to swerve across the pavement.

On said pavement is a group of people Man, woman, children etc etc , what will the car do?

Will is sacrifice "the single human in the car" or will it think fook the people on the pavement, i'm running over 'em to save my passenger.

??
First of all the car would not be travelling at that speed approaching a blind bend. If there are pavements the speed would be nearer 30mph if that so I would assume the car would cope with little or no damage. Haha. Speeding will not be allowed with the system.

Roger

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
First of all the car would not be travelling at that speed approaching a blind bend. If there are pavements the speed would be nearer 30mph if that so I would assume the car would cope with little or no damage. Haha. Speeding will not be allowed with the system.

Roger
Well Spotted he he :-D

still there is the conundrum, who would it save?.

Even at speeds nearer 30mph a car will still be deadly..

I just dread what will 'appen when everything becomes automated!

it'll be like Wal:E with the fat people in the floaty chairs!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.