Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having decided that restoring The Duchess's bodywork is now beyond my budget, I have replaced her. I'd best not mention what I've replaced her with: I'll just say that I have (I hope, temporarily) left the Jaguar fold.

Anyway, having sat for 8 days without having been started, I decided I would take her out on Monday evening for a long drive, to keep the battery charged, brakes unstuck, etc.

She started OK, albeit with a slightly noticeable strain, which I expected as a) she'd not been started and b) it was very cold. On drive-off, I noticed that the light from the headlamps seemed to be waving. "No matter," I thought. "Once we've done a few miles, there'll be enough charge to sort that out." Sure enough, a mile or two into the journey, the light seemed to be on solid. A little further on, I had to stop for a red light. We sat idling happily. By now, there was some heat and I settled into what I'd hoped would be a blast down the A3 to keep her sweet. Wrong! As I pulled away from the lights, everything went out. No lights, no heat (or fan, anyway), a festoon of error messages on the dash and in "limp home" mode. I pulled into a side road, turned everything off bar the engine, figuring I'd sit for a while while she charged up.

After 30 minutes or so, I decided to set off again, to get home. All the lights came on, the fan was working (thank God, because I was freezing by this stage!), although she was still in "limp home" mode.

Now, what's weird is, I had hardly travelled 200 yards when everything went out again! In my naivety, I'd imagined that the charge-time plus the obvious effect of the alternator charging the battery would've enabled me to get back home with some light and heat. In other words, I would expect the exact opposite behaviour: no lights/heat whilst stationary but all good whilst on the move.

I don't believe this to be an issue with the alternator, as she has never, ever exhibited issues before and, if it were in the least bit suspect, I would have expected to have seen starting problems and/or dash error messages in the preceding weeks.

I'm not looking for advice on how to proceed as that's obvious but can someone explain what may be going on and why there'd be symptoms of no power when there must have been at least *some*!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Same here. Both my headlamp bulbs blew as well. I had error messages. No wipers or indicators. Then they'd come back on. Limp home mode on gearbox. The alternator was giving out 17 volts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had major electrical issues, crazy lights on and off limp mode and trans fail message freaked me the heck out I was ready to cry!!!
then found my battery cable was loose!!!
omg was I glad!!
I did buy a bigger better BOSCH with 990 cca as recommended and been great ever since.
definitely check your battery!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.