Jaguar Forum banner

Elec boot opening issues, battery charged ok

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  chrisjp 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 XE portfolio ..
The central locking works OK for all doors and alarm, but boot will not open using ..
Exterior boot button
Key fob
Driver compartment button
Seems like a mechanical/solenoid failure
I have rear seats folded forward
How can I open the boot please .. any help and advice very welcome

#2 · (Edited)
Hi Miles and welcome to the Forum.

I don't know, but at least you have the 'not too common' folding rear seats so you at least have access to the boot!

I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out!

Reactions: Miles Roberts
#3 ·
Hi Miles,

Try a trawl through this thread, there might be something there that will help.

Suffice to say, you should be able to release it from inside the boot.

#14 ·
Right, by the looks of it you need to take the following:

A torch
a small philips screwdriver
a trip clip remover such as this:

There appear to be 11 trim clips holding the internal cover onto the boot lid. Use the screwdriver to undo the small screws in the centre of the black clips (they'll probably undo about half an inch or so), then use the removal tool to pop them out. you should then be able to manoeuvre the trim out of the way and seek out the boot release mechanism.

Then, release it!

Sounds easy doesn't it? I bet it isn't!

Good luck.

P.S. If I remember, and if I get time, I'm going to actually try that on mine tomorrow. I'll take pictures and at the same time install some sort of internal release cable.
I did remember but I didn't get the time. I've been busy preparing two cars for a car show tomorrow. I'll have another go at remembering on Monday.

#15 ·
Right, I'm on it!

I've got the car in and once I've had my lunch I'll make a start. :)

#16 ·
You are a star Rich, shame JLR are not as helpful. Glad my XE is gone now, as I didn't have the folding seats, another cost cut I guess. At least the XF is making up for the XE going, one of the rear locks has failed on that, and not as easy to do as the XE's, so a £330 bill coming when I eventually book it.

#17 ·
Reactions: MrKis
#18 ·
Just so you know, I am still on this!

Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood

Reactions: MrKis
#20 ·
It will never work again...😁😁😁

#21 ·
I just realised I can see two better cars than the XE in your garage. There appears to be a vintage car of some kind to the left, and the best one is the little plastic police car behind it...

I also notice that you have the required back up every XE driver should have, and that is the push bike... 😁

#22 ·
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's a 1936 Morris 8, it was at the local car museum car show at the weekend, and the little plastic car, which I must say has proven very reliable, is my 18 month old granddaughter's car.

There's also a GT6 parked in here but I didn't astand far enough back to get that in the picture :)

Oh yeah, the push bike, it's been a while since I've used that but now I have an XE, who knows!

#23 ·
I love Triumph GT6's, I used to have an 73 MGB GT with wire wheels, and chrome bumpers, but the recession put paid to that. Now I just have my 2001 MGF Trophy, but that is a fun car...

Reactions: RWD3M
#24 ·
Further reading on this topic here:

#25 ·
If only Jaguar had not penny-piched and instead installed an emergency key release on the boot lid - like the one on the driver's door. That would also have covered getting to the battery when it has failed and so prevents opening the boot lid electrically. All this climbing into the boot and the difficult removal of the trim while the lid is shut so as to get at the boot release would then be eliminated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.