Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My column adjuster isn't working at all. No response from the switch at all.

I've checked fuse F19 in the drivers footwell fusebox which the handbook tells me is the one for the adjuster motor but that is intact.

When I got the car the electric seats were a little iffy but following the advice from here I replaced the battery with a Varta H3 Silver and was hoping that would sort out the column too.

Unfortunately, although it did have the desired effect on the seats which now work perfectly the column adjuster is still not functional.

My car is a 2002.5 3.0 SE

Can anyone suggest what I should look for next?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody got any ideas?

I did wonder about the switch but it's a 4 position switch and I can't believe that all 4 positions would fail. And it's unlikely that it's the connection to the switch as the auto function does work, enabling or disabling the automatic movement of the seat when the key is inserted or removed.

Is it possible that something in the ECU might be causing it or are there other connections I should be looking at?

·
Administrator
9,757 Posts
The driver's steering column adjust runs through the instrument panel, check on the back that the connectors are in and not loose.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just realised mine does the same when you pull the key out the seat retracts but the column doesn't, but works on the switch and when the memory button is pressed. Very strange!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Once fitted let us know, as you have beaten me to buy one today

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Is your switch set to auto?

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
When you are taking out the old switch use a voltmeter to measure the voltage on the switch connectors as you manipulate (!!?!!) the switch, in case it still doesn't work with the new switch.

I use an old LED in a BIC pen stalk! Cheapskate - but then I don't get confused with wondering if the voltages are exactly 12 volts or not and would it matter - if the LED lights then there is enough voltage. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Yep, 470 Ohms I think, but can't remember - can take a look tomorrow.

Here are a couple that other people made up:
(12 volt Panel LED indicators contain a built-in resistor)
and: 12 Volt Circuit Probe

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, well I swapped the switches over to no effect, however I did find something strange.
The wiring harness going to the switch has 6 wires in the plug but both the replacement switch and the original only have 3 connectors. I'm guessing that the harness is the same part for cars with and without the pedal adjuster which mine doesn't have.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
^^^^^^ Approximate translation:
Has anyone solved this problem? My steering wheel raises but won't lower, the motor is working.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The motors are controlled true the instrument pack. So if the motor works and the Colom goes up, the motor is good and there is a 12v feed and control of the instrument cluster. Remains the switch witch you already replaced and the switch wiring.

The switch works with switched resistors. The down switch has the lowest resistance (320 ohm) and i have a feeling the resistance in the wiring or connectors is to high for the instrument cluster to "see" the down function. So it could be there is to much resistance in the wiring or connectors. That's something you need to measure first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts