Electric window O/S/F Not working

richplug624

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Another minor irritation with my 2003/4 2.0d SE is that the o/s/f/ window is not working.and not been since I have had the car
Now from experience if you are getting a clicking noise from the motor area when you operate the switch and nothing happens then normally you would
expect the motor to be faulty. hmmm ordered a pre enjoyed motor/reg from ebay (it does work) and when fitting i operated it to clamp the glass and it went up lovely BUT same problem as before it will not go down, getting the clicking sounds but no movement (i checked to make sure the glass was free in the seal,before fitting).
I also reconnected the old unit off the car and still the same problem. So I am guessing the switch is faulty but looking for any advise before shelling out hard earned wonga on a new pre enjoyed switch pack. I did find a small bit of broken spring (thickness of a pencil lead) resting on the inside of the door panel and i am not sure how the anti trap works but replaced regulator and motor so assume it is incorporated within or electronically sensed
thanks in anticipation for any advise
Best regards
Richard

rayUK

Reaction score
The system works on resistance being sensed, as far as I could see when repairing my glass guide (regulator). When the glass gets to the top or meets an obstruction, such as a hand or arm, the resistance it meets triggers a mechanical lever inside the actuator assembly which activates a switch that disconnects electric power to the motor and resets the motor ready for a new command from your door mounted window switch.
That is my personal understanding of it. However, you did not say if both driver side (global) control switch and o/s/f/ door switch give the same problem. If they do it sounds unlikely to be switch problem.
You said you found a piece of broken spring in the door, that may well be part of the resistance sensing mechanism, however, you have the same problem with both units, both original and replacement, and unless you are very unlucky and both are faulty it would appear to suggest the switch as you suggested.
Easy test for switch: The black wire is the ground wire, common to both directions, the two other wires are therefore ground out when switch is pressed in either direction. I don't know what colour the other two wires are to your switch (I suspect white and orange) but if you can swap them around it should show if the switch is faulty. Remember though, your window switch will now be working in reverse so pressing up will send window down. If you have a multi meter you can confirm by switching to resitance (ohms), grounding one probe and putting the other probe on the switch terminal while pressing the switch, test both terminals one at a time.
If the switch is good you will have to consider the relay and position sensor in the actuator assembly may have a fault.
layout 2004.jpg
This is from a 2004 wiring diagram and wire colours may be different.
Good luck

Last edited:

richplug624

Reaction score
Hi Rayuk
Thanks for your reply
The global opening has not worked on the car since i have had it although global remote closing works great.
just thinking that the new window reg/motor went up when i operated the switch so i could clamp the glass but then would not go down again despite hearing clicking from the motor area when down selected either on single sweep or controlled down motion.
From the wiring diagram it looks like the relay and actuator assy are combined with the motor so i must be really unlucky if I have purchased one with the same fault so still thinking it maybe the down mode on the switch.
so next job is multi meter and maybe swapping over the wires
regards
Richard

richplug624

Reaction score
Hi all
Just an update on this problem and the fix.
Eventually found the fault was a broken wire (white) on the multiplug to the motor itself, turns out that the multiplug seems to have been overloaded/ burnt out at sometime and maybe the fuse blew but was changed but the fault was never rectified before I got the car (the fuse was good when checked). so with this white wire broken the switch defaulted? into going up when pressing up and going up when pressing down interesting fault !! I guess the circuit could not be completed but power was still going to the motor, luckily the pre enjoyed motor/regulator had the wiring loom cut so it still had the multiplug on it.
It is nice to have an operating window on the drivers door now.
Upshot to this is that i have a fully working spare O/S/F motor/regulator and a drivers door switch pack (4 electric windows and powerfold mirrors)SE spec, so if anyone is looking for either then just give me a shout
Regards
Richard

rayUK

Reaction score
Excellent news Richard, glad you found the broken wire and all is well now.
I know it's a pain in the R's taking door cards off but in your case necessary. At least you had a door that opened. When my drivers door lock faulted it was a real struggle to get the door card off with the drivers door locked shut, but I discovered it can be done....with lots of scratched and bleeding skin.
Glad the car is back to normal and wish you lots of trouble free enjoyable X Type motoring.

richplug624

Reaction score
Excellent news Richard, glad you found the broken wire and all is well now.
I know it's a pain in the R's taking door cards off but in your case necessary. At least you had a door that opened. When my drivers door lock faulted it was a real struggle to get the door card off with the drivers door locked shut, but I discovered it can be done....with lots of scratched and bleeding skin.
Glad the car is back to normal and wish you lots of trouble free enjoyable X Type motoring.
Thanks Ray
Still have loads to do on mine the boot is full of spares just need to find time to fit them all as I am in the Holiday industry and you can imagine how busy we are atm, next job before MOT in Aug is o/s/f drive shaft and o/s/f wheel bearing and all the Anti roll bar bushes, also the oil feed pipe to the turbo is showing signs of weeping, Need to properly fix the front door cards as they have been off before and been broken, fuel filler cap wont "spring" open on release, brake pads are getting low,EML light is on but know what that is. Still I am getting there, I have always hated having something that does not work properly !!
Best Regards
Richard