Engine and gearbox mounts

peterdpps

Reaction score
My 1967 mark2 240 gear box has started to thump when engaging second gear whilst stationary and jump out of third occasionally. I had the clutch replaced about two years ago after thirty five years in my ownership. Since then I have seen a tendency for jumping from third but I but this down to the modified centre console catching on the gaiter. The thump when engaging second seems to include slight movement so I wonder if there is wear in the gearbox or rear engine mounts.

Any ideas please?

piman

Reaction score
Hello Peter,

the mounting is basically a spring coil but it sits in rubber bushes. If they are soft it may be worth changing them? Don't forget the rear engine support between the bulkhead and engine block. If that is not right it wouldn't help?

Alec

XJ for two

Reaction score
look under the transmission mount to make sure a large round washer and a large cotter pin are not fitted on the large vertical pin that sticks out from the center of the mount. There was a Service Bulletin alerting technicians to remove the cotter pin and washer after the mount was bolted since the cotter pin and washer are only used during refitting the mount assembly.
Leaving the cotter pin and washer fitted results in a number of transmission symptoms. This was for both manual and automatics.

peterdpps

Reaction score
Why do you think it's an engine mount problem? Sounds more like clutch to me.
Clutch operates normally. Sense of movement is when I engage second gear whilst stationary with or without engine running. When you’ve driven a car for over thirty years it’s funny how you just sense things are different without any hard and fast symptoms.

piman

Reaction score
Hello Peter,

just thinking further if the movement is fore and aft, neither the gearbox mount or the rear engine mount would have much effct there, the front mounts do most of the lengthwise movement restraint.

Alec