Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem getting my 2.2 ( with DPF) up to 12 o'clock on the gauge in this cold weather.
It will after Tickover for 30mins + 5-10 miles driving on high revs ( not easy on an auto)reach 1/4 - then perhaps a further hour of stationary with some revs to reach normal. In my normal driving 5 to 25 miles typically it refuses to get over the 1/4 Mark even a run down the motorway.
I have changed both thermostats, Water pump & Drive belt, the gauge appears to work ok as it will eventually get up to mid position.
I have just read many of the items on the forum without another solution it seems.

Is this a situation to live with in cold weather bearing in mind it seems to prevent regen of the DPF which usually shows a slightly higher temperature when working?
can anyone help ...........

· Registered
1,642 Posts
I know you say that you have changed the oil cooler stat but it does sound like the symptoms for it. Are you sure the new one isn't faulty too?

· Registered
200 Posts
I've just replaced my oil filter thermostat, because the gauge hardly ever moved. It was in pieces! The temp guage then moved up to nearly halfway. Since the weather turned cold, it stops between a quarter and a half, still takes quite a time to get there, I think thats because diesels always take longer. Other than sticking some cardboard to the grill, I've done all I can and just accept that's the way it is.
Other differences are that I dont have DPF, thank goodness. It's also br green like yours😀

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As sure as possible it's now working , the garage showed me the old (faulty) one but didnot test it . However if it was open it would be obvious and it was a genuine Ford part.
I have used the cardboard trick on my classics but it is a last-last resort and must be removed when the temperature is up. Can't see any other part which would have a bearing on the fault.

· Registered
93 Posts
My 2.2d sometimes simply shows up as a quarter on the temp guage during the winter. During the summer it goes to the middle. If you've changed the oil thermostat then why not just leave it.

· Registered
3,618 Posts
..... and it was a genuine Ford part.
That might be a clue to your problem;

1) The main thermostat must be a good quality 88 degree one, not the more commonly available 82 degree type - see this post:

http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=78419

2) The oil cooler 'Stat must be a genuine Jaguar part, Part No. JD61162. Many people here have had problems using a Ford or Non-Jaguar part - EG see:

http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=70639

Ignore the mention of the 02 prefix to the part no (eg 02JD61162) - that seems to be an internal number that was once used used on Jag's database.

Jim

· Registered
1,993 Posts
if you have your heaters on it'll struggle to get half way.

mine only reaches half way in winter when the heaters are switched off.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
I bought my oil cooler stat from nearest main dealer. It only cost about £22 and took about 30-45 mins to change over. Before it developed a fault the gauge always showed at just below the half way mark. When it was faulty it rarely reached the half way mark and when it did it started going down again.

After changing it over an year ago it has gone back to how it was before it failed. She always reaches the 1/2 way mark, without fail, after a max of 10 minutes even in the cold weather that we are having now (1deg C this evening)

So really yours should behave the same if you have just changed it. I would buy a genuine Jaguar one if I were you and try that first before looking elsewhere just yet. If it's still the same, then at least you know that you have a good working spare to hand the next time.

· Registered
200 Posts
My 2.2d sometimes simply shows up as a quarter on the temp guage during the winter. During the summer it goes to the middle. If you've changed the oil thermostat then why not just leave it.
Mine is just the same, even though I changed the oil thermostat (genuine pucker jag one)a couple of weeks ago. I've decided that this is just "how it is" and shrug my shoulders. My diesels have always been slow to get up to temperature, that's how they are I reckon.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
Mine is just the same, even though I changed the oil thermostat (genuine pucker jag one)a couple of weeks ago. I've decided that this is just "how it is" and shrug my shoulders. My diesels have always been slow to get up to temperature, that's how they are I reckon.
Should show normal operating temperature which is about 1/2 way mark. Something's not right.

· Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I'm having a problem getting my 2.2 ( with DPF) up to 12 o'clock on the gauge in this cold weather.
It will after Tickover for 30mins + 5-10 miles driving on high revs ( not easy on an auto)reach 1/4 - then perhaps a further hour of stationary with some revs to reach normal. In my normal driving 5 to 25 miles typically it refuses to get over the 1/4 Mark even a run down the motorway.
I have changed both thermostats, Water pump & Drive belt, the gauge appears to work ok as it will eventually get up to mid position.
I have just read many of the items on the forum without another solution it seems.

Is this a situation to live with in cold weather bearing in mind it seems to prevent regen of the DPF which usually shows a slightly higher temperature when working?
can anyone help ...........
If you put the gearbox into manual mode and in 4th or 5th gear you will get as many revs as you want when doing a Regen.

Do you use a Low Ash C1 Oil because off the DPFilter the number is (WSS M2C 934B) which is not in the Handbook and most dealer's were using the 913 B oil which is not for a x type with a DPFILTER and only use genuine jaguar oil and fuel filters.

G

·
Maybe the temp is right, but the measurement is wrong. I wish we had an independent way of measuring it.
Some MOT garages have a guage that tests for engine temperature prior to the diesel smoke test - they plunge the rubber tube into the dipstick hole.

· Registered
1,999 Posts
When i did mine a couple of years ago i used genuine Jag one but still had the problem. I took it out again and found it was stuck.I took it apart and got it moving and refitted been perfect ever since. -2 on wednesday morning and still after about 7 miles up to just under the half way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.