Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2001 s type 3.0 v6. I recently did a OBD2 check and many problems surfaced with various codes. Here they are:

P0306 misfire detected cylinder 6
P0102 mass or volume air flow circuit low input
P0113 intake air temp sensor 1 circuit high input
P0125 insufficient coolant temp for colder loop fuel control
P0301-303 misfires in cylinders 1-3
P1285 cylinder head over temp
P1299 cylinder head over temp protection active
P1573 throttle position not available
P1586 throttle control unit throttle position malfunction
P1780 torque reduction signal malfunction
P0153 O2 circuit slow response bank 2 sensor 1
P0196 engine oil temp sensor circuit range performance
P1383 variable camshaft timing over retarded bank 1
P1388 variable camshaft timing over retarded bank 2

The car itself runs fine on the road, but it idles around 4000 when parked. The transmission tends to slip or get stuck when I accelerate as well especially going high speeds.

· Registered
1,225 Posts
I would recommend clearing all the codes and drive it for a few days and check again, as some of these could be old codes that were never cleared.

· Registered
377 Posts
Hi
S-types suffer really bad with battery issues, if the battery get low, you get lots of faults and errors
I check your battery charging and if it is, it may be worth putting on charge overnight
battery is usually the most common cause for faults
cheers
Joe

· Registered
1,317 Posts
P1573 throttle position not available
P1586 throttle control unit throttle position malfunction

Might be the reason for the extremely high idle, are you sure it's 4k? that will make some noise.

P0102 mass or volume air flow circuit low input could also be an air leak causing higher idle. If its Idling at 4K it's not running ok at all.

P0125 insufficient coolant temp for colder loop fuel control
P1285 cylinder head over temp
P1299 cylinder head over temp protection active
Could all be caused by low coolant levels.

Just a couple of pointers, as said clear all the faults first, but seriously 4k idle speed is rediculous. You really need to get that sorted.

· Registered
6,401 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but does the ecu stop the car from reving that high when it is gear. I thought that they were limited to 3000.

start by looking at the fuel trims and the 02 sensors. They are really indicators if there is a problem.

there are lots of useful videos here

https://www.youtube.com/user/ScannerDanner/videos

just go through and watch the ones that can help you.

· Registered
6,401 Posts

here is another on how to check the tps

· Registered
22,331 Posts
Its odd.

Get your radio code handy then...

Do a "Hard Reset" by disconnecting the battery cables and shorting them to each other for half a minute, then reconnect them to the battery and do the Resets listed in the thread in our S Type Stickies subforum, including the Throttle Pedal Limits listed there.

Hopefully that might sort the high revs.

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Thanks for the clarification 04STR I did not know that was the case. I used it for a different car.

· Registered
10,921 Posts
The snag is that the jags are hi-tech cars with good fuel-efficiency and he's using a typically lo-tech (or at least rather dated tech) American car.

The sorts of things he goes on about apply to jags 10 or so years before the first S-Type.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi thanks for the feedbacks. Yeah the idle rpm was not 4000 but rather it was 400. Sometimes it would jump to 900 and stay there for a while. Nonetheless I’m getting my obdii today so I’ll reset the codes n drive it for a week n post an update. Thank you.

· Registered
22,331 Posts
Hi thanks for the feedbacks. Yeah the idle rpm was not 4000 but rather it was 400. Sometimes it would jump to 900 and stay there for a while. Nonetheless I'm getting my obdii today so I'll reset the codes n drive it for a week n post an update. Thank you.
So...

GIGO!

Garbage In = Garbage Out.

Use Redex injector cleaner at double strength for 2 tankfuls before you change anything.

Pass it on to your grandchildren.

Better buy a couple of dozen cans before it's extinct.

· Registered
6,401 Posts
As you describe the revs are at 400 they are low compared with my car which has the same engine. Mine revs at 700,

going by yoyr description I would check that there is not a air leak.

I have used this method on a BMW where the dealer could not find any problem but there was a very small air leak.

go to around 25 mins.

you just have to look at the short term fuel trims and use a can of brake fluid.

I suspect that you have a leak on one of the manifolds as you have a misfire as well.

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Have you checked IMT valve o-rings. They are prone to failing especially if they are original type used by Jaguar (yellow in colour).

easiest way to check if they have failed is to take a white paper tissue and wipe the mannifold where they are fitted. If there is any staining. Then you have to replace them.

here is a write up o how to do it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/...ing-replacement-short-route-w-pics-faq-32135/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.