·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Need more X-Types!

Reactions: MarkFY

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
To be fair some people can be a bit sensitive about getting a PM out of the blue from someone they might not know. When MarkFY sent me a PM about the trip I already knew of him from the X-Type section and was already aware of the Lakes Trip but appreciated the contact.

Reactions: JimC64 and Ashanti

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Here is my contribution to the soundtrack discussion. On my trip to the Lakes I will have six discs in the Changer and one in the player in the dashboard. I am taking one only disc per artist. My seven tracks, one per disc and numbers are for location (1-6 are in the Changer, 7 is in the dashboard), are as follows, Title - Artist.
  1. Don't Forget To Live Before You Die - Thunder
  2. Starmaker - Last In Line
  3. Tell Everyone The Truth - The Right Now
  4. Gods of War - Def Leppard
  5. Steel - Wolfsbane [live version on Massive Noise Injection]
  6. One Night in The City - Dio
  7. Voodoo Chile - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [Track 4 on Electric Ladyland]

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Having laid down my first-choice tracks in my previous post, what will actually happen on my trip to The Lakes is that I will press a button on my steering wheel and say "Changer Mix All." What plays is then entirely at the discretion of my X-Type! It can only select from the discs given, however, which are (Title - Artist):-
  1. All The Right Noises - Thunder
  2. Heavy Crown - Last In Line
  3. Gets Over You - The Right Now
  4. Hysteria - Def Leppard
  5. Massive Noise Injection - Wolfsbane
  6. The Last In Line - Dio
  7. Electric Ladyland - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Whatever plays will still be epic. This is how Commander Jades rides.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
I'm sure I saw a couple of tracks popup from @Jades but they quickly disappeared again.
I hit post too early by accident, see here for the list of individual tracks.

Reactions: MarkFY

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
While looking for photos of my X-Type to send to MarkFY I found some shots of the car at the Summer Jaguar Festival at Bicester Heritage last year. As well as it being the 60th Anniversary of the launch some little-known sports car or other it was also the 20th Anniversary of the launch of the Jaguar X-Type!

My car was one of more than fifty X-Types on display. One of the things we did for the show was to put together an A4 info sheet about our cars - including a nice photo, some stats and a little bit of history or interesting facts. Laminated it, and stuck it under the wiper or put it on the dashboard for people to read. Mine can be downloaded here.

Since Saturday's agenda has us all parking our Jags together at the Lakeland Motor Museum and then going off to have fun it struck me that we're essentially forming a display ourselves. I don't know the specifics of how the car parking arrangements would work but thought it might be a nice touch if we all left info sheets with our cars for the education of the public.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Starting to think that I should take some better photos, although I do like the ones that I sent in.

From the archives, here's someone who won't be going to The Lakes.

Stowaway.jpg

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Very nice ... certainly does look 'liquid silver' with a beautiful shine to it like mercury on the move ... lights too :cool:
Thanks! Dad and I spent a lot of time looking over it when we went to the dealer to view it for the first time and what was noticeable about it was that the paint finish was immaculate other than some very minor scratches and chips, there were no dents and only one small rust spot. The wheels were as tatty as you'd expect from 18" rims on an eleven year old car but I managed to get them refurbished as part of the deal.

The detailing boys will probably drop their bacon sandwiches but I have never polished the car since I bought it. All I do is regularly wash it with nothing more than two cap-fulls of Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner in a bucket containing ten litres of finest Living Water, straight out of the tap. Rinse thoroughly with a hose first and take up the inexpensive sponge and take my time cleaning every panel, making sure to regularly dip and ring out the sponge as I go and then rinse off with the hose. Dry with a Hi-Tech Microfibre Drying Towel when done. Admire shiny finish either on the day, depending on how much light is left when the job is done, or the following morning.

I do intend to give it a full day pampering session, including a good polish, when there's more light but we have a critical shortage of Round Tuits up in the County Palatine. Fitting the new driver's window waist seal that has been propped up at the foot of our stairs for literally months, renewing the brake fluid and accessory belts, refurbishing the nearside front wheel (again) and having a replacement E fitted are also on the list of stuff that needs doing this month...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Due to the nature of this WEEKEND EVENT, registration in advance is required by 17th March
Oh, you know it is becoming very real when there is a deadline and forms to fill in. :)

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
If this turns out to be an April Fool's joke, I'm going to the SMBC on the 2nd!
Joking aside the very least that we get in the event that everything else in the trip falls over is a nice hotel stay near The Lakes. :)

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Do we still have nobody with an XE or who is travelling from Wales?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Am I allowed at least to bring SOME clothes for the road, or must Zurry be absolutely full with Meguiar's? :rolleyes:
No, no. You don't need to fill your whole car with Meguiar's. Far from it...

...some of us prefer Autoglym. :D

Reactions: Ruby351 and FlatCap

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
I can't actually remember if I paid for Breakfast at the Premier Inn, better check!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Regretfully I cannot offer transport in the palatial interior of my X-Type - mainly because I'd probably end up being terrified of Doing a Fergie (one for the Lads Fans there)!

Turns out I did order breakfast, currently trying to make up my mind which times to book.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Glad I washed mine on Sunday, it's currently raining. Forecast is sleet on Thursday and Friday so I most likely won't get the nuts done before the trip.

Reactions: Snk Vlad

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Looks like a good turnout, I will be along to say hello after I have eaten. Funny really, I've been on the forum since 2018 and so far have only met one person who posts on it in real life.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
How is it Sunday again already?! If I had more holiday entitlement to bring forward I would probably have tried to get at least a couple of more days off, so that I could have a relaxing time to write up my experiences at Jaguars at The Lakes. Instead my alarm went at 8am sharp on Tuesday and my eyes opened to the comparatively disappointing sight of my own bedroom. I then had the realisation that I had to get washed and dressed and go to work (OK, had to walk over to the back room at the other side of the house) for 9am.

Still, shouldn't complain. Not only did the job I do pay for the holiday I have just had it also paid for the car that I had the holiday with. :)

I've generally been too tired or busy doing other things after work so haven't really been able to type up my experiences of the Lakes Trip with any sort of quality. Normally I would've been able to do it on Saturday but went up to Newcastle for a colleague's wedding reception instead. I'll post this in instalments and I did manage to take some reasonable photos while I was there which I will post here as well.

Having booked the whole of Friday the 1st of April as a paid holiday I was woken by my alarm at 8am, because I had forgotten to turn that one off, and later on at a somewhat decadent 1pm - I always do like a good lie in when I can have one! As previously documented over on So What Did You Do to your Jaguar today ? my plan of replacing the locking wheel nuts and vacuuming the interior before setting off was thwarted by the weather so I finished packing, said goodbye to my family and set off on my journey.

No road trip of any length is complete without a fully loaded CD Changer and for as long as I own my X-Type I will never grow tired of pressing the button on the steering wheel and saying "Changer, Mix All." I have previously listed my musical choices for the trip and determinedly stuck to my guns by taking seven only albums, which were as follows - numbers are slots 1-6 in the Changer with 7 being the CD Player in the dashboard:-
  1. Hysteria, by Def Leppard.
  2. The Last in Line, by Dio.
  3. Electric Ladyland, by The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
  4. Heavy Crown, by Last In Line.
  5. Gets Over You, by The Right Now.
  6. Massive Noise Injection, by Wolfsbane.
  7. All The Right Noises, by Thunder.
I had declared my soundtrack choices quite some time ago and, having decided that I was going to stick with them, that meant that Saxon's excellent new album Carpe Diem stayed at home. This was a little bit of a shame because listening to the track linked to below while going through the Kirkstone Pass in a convoy of Jaguars would have been an exceptionally Metal thing to do...

Oh well, maybe next time!

The weather while I was going to the Lakes continued to be variable. The A1(M) is currently blessed with lots of roadworks and stretches of 50mph backed with average speed cameras and in any case the whole point of me setting off to the hotel the day before the event was so that I could have a relaxed journey without needing to worry too much about the time. Additionally, I thought that avoiding the motorway would make for a more scenic drive so I set Navmii to 'Avoid Freeways' and it plotted a route as close to due South-West as it's possible to get.

First bit of the journey was a bit slow as I was going through Durham City Centre during the school run but once I was through and into the countryside the rest of the drive was great. As it turned out the route that was selected took me through Barnard Castle and was essentially a repeat of the run I did last year, when I was combining seeing the car pass the 60,000 mile mark with making sure that my new mobile phone holder didn't fall off while the car was in motion and I was comfortable using it for navigation (the X-Type Sat Nav is the last 2011/12 version).

On this occasion however I didn't stop for a pint and instead negotiated my way through the twisty town centre, over the river and onto the A66 for a while, before going South at Brough onto the A685 which I stayed on through Kirkby Stephen and into Kendal. Left Kendal via the A64 and A6 and joined the A591 and then the A590.

At some point on the journey there was a stretch of road with a temporary 40mph limit where the surface had been planed back prior to resurfacing and there was a lot of dust about. This dust of course ended up on a lot of my car!

Other than the dusty roadworks I had really enjoyed the drive and, due to it still being light and the weather reasonably good, was able to enjoy the scenery going over the Pennines and into the Lakes - while being sure to not spend so much time looking at the scenery that my X-Type and I ended up being a permanent part of it!

Pulled into the car park at the Premier Inn, Ulverston, with plenty of time left before my Dinner booking at 7pm. Loads of Jags and I saw that Vlad had managed to get there (I hadn't checked the forum before I set off). Eventually managed to park properly and got my case and rucksack out of the car and went to the hotel entrance. Vlad was still outside so I had a quick chat with him, which meant that he is the person I mentioned in my post on the day as being the only person from this forum I had (knowingly) met in real life up to that point!

I checked in, went to my room to unpack and chilled out for a bit before going down to eat my dinner. This was a starter of King Prawns, a main of Lasagne and a desert of Sticky Toffee Pudding. As I wasn't sure what the rules were regarding tables I was on a table on my own near the back of the room and had somehow managed to completely miss the big banner welcoming Lake Trippers and the lineup of goody bags! I only realised they were there after seeing the photo of them on the Forum.

In hindsight I should perhaps have introduced myself as soon as I came down but I actually enjoyed being incognito for a little longer while I observed the goings on and ate my scran. My meal finished and with my having caught up on the forum thread so that I knew what was going on it was then time to pick up my goody bag and start saying hello to people.

[Edit: Added link to my Roadtrip Hitlist on the Jaguars At The Lakes website.]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts