Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why does no one make exhaust back boxs with drain taps ? every time ive had to replace one its been down to it rotting from the inside out due to a build up of condensation ,im looking at replacing the full system with a ss one ,is there any reason why taps are not fitted

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
why does no one make exhaust back boxs with drain taps ? every time ive had to replace one its been down to it rotting from the inside out due to a build up of condensation ,im looking at replacing the full system with a ss one ,is there any reason why taps are not fitted
I thought that many years ago but modern exhausts last much longer due to catalytic converters making the exhaust less corrosive.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
many times i have been behind cars going uphill and saw water dribbling out the back pipe,the whole back box on cars that do short journeys must be full ,both of my back boxes (x350) need replacing and it looks like its due to a build up of condensation

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Drill a small hole (3mm?) right at the lowest spot at the very back of the last box bud.

Long ago my motorbike's stainless boxes had them.

Don't drill at the front of the box 'cos it might fart and bang when you take your foot off.

Or drill there if you want the fart and backfire. ;) (It's not guaranteed).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drill a small hole (3mm?) right at the lowest spot at the very back of the last box bud.

Long ago my motorbike's stainless boxes had them.

Don't drill at the front of the box 'cos it might fart and bang when you take your foot off.

Or drill there if you want the fart and backfire. ;) (It's not guaranteed).
hahahahahaha yes i did think about drilling a wee hole, as i intend on keeping this car for ever i may as well get a stainless steel one fitted

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
This doesn't happen if the car is used for reasonable journeys and the whole exhaust gets hot enough. But around this time of year there's usually a spate of posts in the X type and S type forums about the "amount of white smoke my car is producing" when they have the V6 version of the engine fitted. That's because it was a really efficient design for it's day and produces a lot of water vapour...

G

·
With my VW Passat 2.0 TDI which has a DPF there's clear water inside the end of the exhaust on short trips (but no soot). I can remember patching the exhaust on my old Rover 213 many times but I still ended up replacing it as patching only delayed the inevitable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.