Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely this type of modification cant be legal in the UK yet I have seen a few cars with this extreme camber on the roads. These must obviously make the cars difficult to handle and just looks dangerous in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's usually a VW thing up north, just makes it look like the car is driven by a really fat bloke :D

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Stance,innt bruv!

:-D

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
This has become very popular in Thailand with the young and rich.

It is welcome by the tyre manufacturers and retailers who make a fortune out of it considering the tyres are good for only a few thousand miles.

Tony

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I'd say its dangerous as the loading on the tyre is all on on side and not evenly spread across the width of the tyre surface, drastically changing braking efficiency and handling.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
New wheel bearings every Saturday morning. VW Beetles do bearings with alarming regularity. You got to question the mental state of the folk who do the extreme camber jobs.
As to the legality.......they can't be because no motor insurer will sanction such mods. so the driver is by definition.............uninsured.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
As Victor correctly points out , this is a modification so is not legal by any means.

An MOT tester would probably fail it on reasonable doubt of steering geometry being incorrect / unsafe.

Legally , the only issue normally associated in this area is the tyre tread being visible outside of the wheel arch.

As for why people like this on a vehicle , for the life of me I'll never know !!!

However,

30 years ago I ran around in a 3.1 Capri with Jag back axle / big wheels and red fog lights shining on the axle :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point Victor, these cars must be uninsured. I have seen a few of these modified cars pulled over by the boys in blue which brings a smile to my face I must confess.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Theres a little black clio in Kings Lynn that has got some of these, looks absurd also got a loud exhaust fitted

Had to follow him the other morning all the way from Kings Lynn to Sutton Bridge until the average speed cameras ended then I dropped it into sport mode and left him in the wake of the XF-S :)

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
NOT a good look, at least IMO lol

Jim

·
Administrator
10,096 Posts
All started from the drift scene in Japan, negative front camber is good for getting some crazy sideways going for sliding cars around corners. Driving along the street though with it looking like that in stance is just bizarre.

Was all stereos and bodykits when I were younger.

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You guys have obviously never heard of the William Milliken Camber Car @ 1960 or of the Mercedes Benz F400 that followed @ 2000 :mrgreen:

However to be fair both these cars were engineered correctly with tires to suit and gave improved corner speeds over conventional vehicles of the same types and both found the maximum negative camber for maximum lateral G to be @ -20 degrees.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/gallery/Milliken-MX1-Camber-Car-115904.html

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...ving_01.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090619153846

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
... or a motor bike :)

Negative camber does wear the inner edge of a "square-section" tyre fast though. What was Pirelli's limit for the F1 teams this year? About 4 degrees at the front? Any more was deemed too borderline.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.