Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the new F-type with the V6 but what I was really hoping for was a fire breathing V8 supercharged beastie, check out the quads, looks like we are going to get one!

Taken from Autoexpress:

Our spies have caught the new Jaguar F-Type R for the first time, testing near the company's HQ in Warwickshire.

When Jaguar first confirmed the F-Type for production at the New York Motor Show back in April, it released official photos of a camouflaged prototype. The images you see here are subtly different, hinting at a new engine under the bonnet.

We already know that the standard F-Type roadster will get a new supercharged V6, tuned to either 335bhp or 375bhp. But this flagship F-Type 'R' will be fitted with Jaguar's supercharged 5.0-litre V8 used in the XJ Supersports, XFR and XKR, although expect it to be detuned to around 450bhp.

The external changes are limited to a set of quad exhausts (a classic 'R' design cue) replacing the standard V6 F-Type's centrally mounted twin pipes. The bumpers and side skirts look the same on this prototype, but expect these to become more prominent when the production model arrives in September.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I believe it wont be offically badged as an R', meaning there will be a faster variant. Similar engine tune to XKR-S.

Similar how the fastest X351 is badged as a SuperSport and not an XJR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even more HP than that. The 5.0 supercharged will be bumped to 540 hp and the RS model will be at or slightly over 600 hp. Jag is going for the kill. The mandate is 3.0 sec to 60mph or as close as possible.

I love the new F-type with the V6 but what I was really hoping for was a fire breathing V8 supercharged beastie, check out the quads, looks like we are going to get one!

Taken from Autoexpress:

Our spies have caught the new Jaguar F-Type R for the first time, testing near the company's HQ in Warwickshire.

When Jaguar first confirmed the F-Type for production at the New York Motor Show back in April, it released official photos of a camouflaged prototype. The images you see here are subtly different, hinting at a new engine under the bonnet.

We already know that the standard F-Type roadster will get a new supercharged V6, tuned to either 335bhp or 375bhp. But this flagship F-Type 'R' will be fitted with Jaguar's supercharged 5.0-litre V8 used in the XJ Supersports, XFR and XKR, although expect it to be detuned to around 450bhp.

The external changes are limited to a set of quad exhausts (a classic 'R' design cue) replacing the standard V6 F-Type's centrally mounted twin pipes. The bumpers and side skirts look the same on this prototype, but expect these to become more prominent when the production model arrives in September.

·
Registered
2 Posts
saw the f type on the road yesterday heading towards the top gate of landrover solihull, the tester must have seen the open mouthed slight amount of dribble in corner of my mouth as he gave it a little burst and it doesnt half get a wiggle on and sounds like a squadron of lancasters belting past your window! I hope santa's noticing I've been a very good boy (ish) this year!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Does anyone else feel reminded of the 1990s TVR Griffith by this? Same idea, 2 seater convertible, rwd, 5L V8. Love the idea. A nice small roadster is ideal for jag and something they should have been making for years. Nice alternative to Audi TTs, Nissan 370Z and BMW Z4s. Anyone know when its due on the road?

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's for sure going to attract more customers into Jaguar. Looking at Feb/Mar 2013 before production cars are out.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It looks awfully cramped in there, and I don't think the car looks particularly innovative. A hard top convertible would have been nice, but then this is being built to please the Americans. Don't think Porsche, BMW etc have much to worry about, and YES, it does look like a TVR Griffith. Maybe without the "wallpaper" finish things will improve, but I won't be in the market.....not with kids!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.