F1 Bahrain GP - Exciting start to the season

1955davidr

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Pretty much in agreement with mac_doctor:

1) Would be good to watch but Lewis has the edge, ask Keke's son
2) He never had to race due to being in pole so often, when he did find himself challenged he followed Schumacher's example without the subtlety, Turkey and Webber?
3) He is an awesome driver but gives up too easily unlike Lewis who fights to the end.
4) As mac_doctor here.

mac_doctor

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
OK - is it just me?

When the team's second driver (Nelson Piquet Jr) wrecked his car to bring out a yellow to help his superstar team mate (Fernando Alonso) in Singapore in 2008, there was a scandal. When a team's second driver (Valtteri Bottas) does it in Italy we concentrate on blaming the third driver (George Russell) - but deliberately avoid mentioning that this gave Lewis Hamilton the chance to finish second (and top the Championship) instead of finishing a lap down in ninth.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer Mr Hamilton to young Mr Verstappen, but I am amazed how all the post-race dialogue has been about who was to blame for the Bottas/ Russell accident (obviously it is always going to be the junior guy!), whilst conveniently overlooking the fact that the team coincidentally contrived to get it's number one driver on to the podium.

mac_doctor

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
And - somewhat ironically - if it hadn't been for the "accident" in Singapore, as I recall, Massa would likely have beaten Hamilton for the championship back then. Lucky?

Frank

Reaction score
OK - is it just me?

When the team's second driver (Nelson Piquet Jr) wrecked his car to bring out a yellow to help his superstar team mate (Fernando Alonso) in Singapore in 2008, there was a scandal. When a team's second driver (Valtteri Bottas) does it in Italy we concentrate on blaming the third driver (George Russell) - but deliberately avoid mentioning that this gave Lewis Hamilton the chance to finish second (and top the Championship) instead of finishing a lap down in ninth.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer Mr Hamilton to young Mr Verstappen, but I am amazed how all the post-race dialogue has been about who was to blame for the Bottas/ Russell accident (obviously it is always going to be the junior guy!), whilst conveniently overlooking the fact that the team coincidentally contrived to get it's number one driver on to the podium.
I don't think so. The Singapore incident was just one driver and not too dangerous. Bottas didn't move from the dry line, the track move left with the dry line carrying straight on as this is the racing line. A rather naïve Russell should have realised his dry road was narrowing in front of him and thought better about his dice with death at that point on the track. One could argue that if Bottas moved left to give Russell more room then he would have been putting himself in just as much danger of spinning as his left side wheels would then be on the wet.

Hamilton just lucked in, although they say you make your own luck over time. Making his way up from 9th to 2nd was quite a drive from the current master.

Neilr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Yep, LH was lucky but that's how it goes sometimes and it gave us a race for the last 30 laps. He made the most of it and damage limitation couldn't have been better.

I also couldn't see what Bottas did wrong wrt to the accident. He stayed on the dry line but he had a right to and he stayed as left as possible. GR made a marginal move and needed more room than there was. They had already done 30 laps or so and knew where it was still wet. GR just showed his inexperience and a nasty side of his nature. I expect he has lost a few fans this weekend.

Rather unfair of anybody to tar Bottas with the same brush as Piquet and Briatore (and maybe Alonso). He may have been having a below par day but he didn't cause the accident and neither GR or VB had any idea how it would eventually help LH.

Anyway, two races in and two brilliant races to savour. The Redbull looks to be faster than the Merc when on new tyres, but against expectation, the Merc gets comparatively better as the tyres wear at least in LH's hands. I was expecting the Redbull to look after its tyres better with the Merc's lack of rear downforce. Maybe that is the difference between LH and MV. Competition is lively right through the grid. Great to watch :)