Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've got a bit of free time coming up and my missus was complaining that her jag doesn't look as nice as the 'red one' she saw at the shops.

not being present at the time, i said "i thought you liked the blue, it'll cost too much to respray it red"

to which she responded "No you idiot, i obviously meant that it had a different front"

having never seen this mystery red jag, im assuming it must have been a face lift model, and she was commenting on the grill. i cant get any further information from her, because she refuses to tell me anything else as im "clearly not listening".

now being the tight arse that i am, i dont want to pay £100+ for the actualy facelift grill.

however i do own a large format 3d printer, and have mocked up a design based of the facelift photo.

the only thing im missing are measurements,

can anyone with a facelift grill tell me the 3 measurements i need

1) the widest point of the grill
2) the widest point of each diamond
3) the height of the grill.

this will allow me to scale the model correctly and print. i'd rather not have to do this by trial an error, as the whole thing is going to take 18 hours to print.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you do manage to make one, let me know I'd be interested in one too, I have the mesh one on my sport but it's not the 2009 one.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well as long as i get the dimensions it shouldn't be a problem, the worst case scenario is i will have to trial and error it.

i already 3d printed washer covers which look original, so its definately possible. just need those dimensions

·
Registered
432 Posts
So I've got a bit of free time coming up and my missus was complaining that her jag doesn't look as nice as the 'red one' she saw at the shops.

not being present at the time, i said "i thought you liked the blue, it'll cost too much to respray it red"

to which she responded "No you idiot, i obviously meant that it had a different front"

having never seen this mystery red jag, im assuming it must have been a face lift model, and she was commenting on the grill. i cant get any further information from her, because she refuses to tell me anything else as im "clearly not listening".

now being the tight arse that i am, i dont want to pay £100+ for the actualy facelift grill.

however i do own a large format 3d printer, and have mocked up a design based of the facelift photo.

the only thing im missing are measurements,

can anyone with a facelift grill tell me the 3 measurements i need

1) the widest point of the grill
2) the widest point of each diamond
3) the height of the grill.

this will allow me to scale the model correctly and print. i'd rather not have to do this by trial an error, as the whole thing is going to take 18 hours to print.
So, let me get this right. You think you can 3-d print this? Good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, let me get this right. You think you can 3-d print this? Good luck with that.
yes, i've 3d printed much more complicated parts than the grill would be,

if you think about it's not even that complex.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Could you not use the dimensions of the old grill as the new grill doesn't fit properly, the bottom is straight which leaves a gap between it and the old style bumper. If you then got rid of the central vertical section, it would fit perfectly and you'd have the updated look.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well its funny you say this cause im planning to accomodate that gap at the bottom, whilst maintaining the overall shape of the new style grill, basically im taking the middle section of the old grill and combining it with the end sections of the new grill, i dont want to best guess it once i get the correct scale for the new grill i can fill in the space.

i want it to be as close as possible to the facelift grill.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Not being an expert, doesn't this 3d printing restrict you to a particular type of resin material, which might not be compatible with what is best for car parts ?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not being an expert, doesn't this 3d printing restrict you to a particular type of resin material, which might not be compatible with what is best for car parts ?
I can print in PLA, ABS, PETG, and Polycarbonate once primed and painted they would all be suitable.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Interesting project. I'm happy with my chrome/mesh grill but I shall watch this thread anyway. Good luck with it, RM.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
She's gonna expect you to print the facelift bumpers too, you know ;)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
You think :-D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could your 3D printer print me a brand new X-Type.............:-D
yeah, but it would be some assembly required, i hope you like jigsaws XD

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
does no-one on this forum have a facelift grill and a tape measure?:cry:

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I've got a tape measure ;)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
:-d :-d :-d :-d

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.