Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anyone help me with a faulty door solenoid on a 1995 XJS facelift. The drivers door would not lock using the remote control so I identified the problem as a worn out door solenoid. I managed to get one from a breaker but when I fitted it it the drivers door would lock when the passenger door would unlock and it would unlock when the passenger door locked. My question is is there any way of changing it round somehow or do you think the breaker has supplied me with the passenger door lock solenoid rather than the one for the drivers door.
Many thanks
for any assistance in this matter. MRawl2

·
Registered
367 Posts
That can only be the LOCK and UNLOCK wires have been reversed . Has the solinoid got two wires or three ? Tell me the year /engine of your car and the coloured wires you have and i will look at the circuit for you.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
or.......

the new solenoid was fitted with the function round the wrong way , its probably signal only , and if you had the new one in the unlock position , but the car thought it was in the lock position ? it will operate the opposite way to expected.

if you see what i mean

BB

take the solenoid off the lock linkage, operate the lock linkage by hand once , and then put the solenoid back onto the rod , it may well then work as expected ? worth a shot.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a great help 540i touring.
yes I understand . Ill take it off move it manually and see if that helps.
The wires cannot have been reversed because it just plugs in and there is only one way to plug it in.
It is a 1995 xjs celebration convertible 4.0 litre.
Thanks BB and 540itouring
Ill try what you suggest and see if it works properly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just looked at the 95 circuit and the door lock unit has a 5 pin plug , has yours got a 5 pin plug ? . I will be surprized if just moving the lock solves this as it should be able to corect this on its own. The lock module on my circuit has the lock motor and a two position micro switch which should tell the system what state each lock is in so if one lock is open and one closed and the unlock signal is sent , just the locked door should open only. The plug may fit but if this car came from another build year of xjs it may not e the same pin config of the plug. I will help you if needed after your test result.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok 540itouring. Yes i think it is a 5 pin plug but ill check when i take it out again and ill let you know what i discover.
Many thanks for your help.
MRawl2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi 540iTouring
I have just checked the old solenoid and it has a 5 pin plug. I dont think it is possible to put it on the wrong way round.The wires are two orange, an orange and red, an orange and white and a black and white. I am not sure if the wires on the new one are the same but I will check when I take the door panel off next.
Maybe I should just get a new one from Jaguar for £200 rather than rely on the one I got from the breaker. He told me it was from a facelift XJS but maybe he was bulshitting me.
Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi Martin

I know the plug can only go one way round but if it was chaged during production you may find that the wire coloures are not in the same pin posistions within the plug. I would not buy a new unit as your one is working ok just in the wrong direction and that mut be able to be solved by altering the wires. Look at the old unit and new unit for part numbers and also look at the colour of wires in the plug and pin locations within the plug. Let me know what you find and i will work out what to do to solve your problem.
Also some pics of wires into the plug may help me .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.