Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped the XKR off at my local garage for its MOT tomorrow 馃檮 and check the Aircon (here comes another condenser) hopefully all will be well.
Only I could have 2 MOTs in the same month.
Really didn't think that through properly 馃う

Reactions: JimC64

Premium Member
You鈥檒l be fine, John, stop fretting. (y)

Reactions: John Wilko

Registered
Pah nowt to worry about John ;)

She'll fly through ;)

Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
Hoping for a good result for you tomorrow with the MOT John, clean bill of health, with no new wheels, brake doofers or advisories would be 馃拵(y)

Registered
... and check the Aircon (here comes another condenser) ...
Remember, if you do need to replace the condenser, this is one of those rare instances where it's best to avoid the genuine 'Jaguar' branded / original fitment version (apparently, very poor quality and therefore unreliable).

This is covered by other threads on here (written by more knowledgeable people than me) which suggest better quality / more reliable alternatives and where to get them.

Hopefully, one of these more knowledgeable folk will post a link to a suitable thread.

Luckily, when mine needed replacing, the local independent workshop I use were clued-up enough to be aware of this, and simply obtained & fitted a good quality alternative without even consulting me first.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remember, if you do need to replace the condenser, this is one of those rare instances where it's best to avoid the genuine 'Jaguar' branded / original fitment version (apparently, very poor quality and therefore unreliable).

This is covered by other threads on here (written by more knowledgeable people than me) which suggest better quality / more reliable alternatives and where to get them.

Hopefully, one of these more knowledgeable folk will post a link?
Many thanks, yes I've already seen that OEM jaguar condensers aren't very good, due to the fact my XF needs one too 馃う

Reactions: Ruby351

Registered
Top tip for MOTs - find your local council MOT test center. They are required, by law, to offer tests to the general public but they are not permitted to conduct repair work so there is no incentive for them to fail vehicles unnecessarily. They are also (in theory at least) required to very strictly adhere to the test procedures so you know you'll get a fair test.

Obviously that's not to say it will always pass, but you should not be failed unfairly. Of course, if you have a garage that you feel confident in their trustworthiness then great, just another option.

Premium Member
I prefer to get a fuller safety check at my (trusted) Indy ahead of the MOT. I'd always be more worried about driving a potentially dangerous car than any possible financial hit.

I'm now helping friends get their Skoda, previously mine, through MOT. Since they've had it, it's had advisories on the brakes. Just passed after a fail, after fronts fixed, but rears still on advisory... :oops::oops::eek: I don't think it's remotely wise to have brakes featuring anywhere on an advisory, shouldn't be allowed, oughter be a law, etc etc... People wrongly seem to assume a pass somehow makes the vehicle roadworthy for a year.. Getting the whole system fixed next week, a few hundred quid to prevent a disaster. Bargain.

Registered
Valid points but no reason you can't have the indie do the full checks when you have the car serviced then take the car to a council place for the actual test. An awful lot of people seem to assume that service and MOT go hand-in-hand. I was simply pointing out the local authority test option for those who were maybe unaware of this. I never advocated driving anything in a dangerous state either.

The MOT test is what it is, but that is not a full safety check - merely a test of roadworthiness at that point in time. Without getting into discussion about reform of that test, it is obviously a legal requirement to have it on vehicles over three years so we might as well get through that as fairly as possible.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Top tip for MOTs - find your local council MOT test center. They are required, by law, to offer tests to the general public but they are not permitted to conduct repair work so there is no incentive for them to fail vehicles unnecessarily. They are also (in theory at least) required to very strictly adhere to the test procedures so you know you'll get a fair test.

Obviously that's not to say it will always pass, but you should not be failed unfairly. Of course, if you have a garage that you feel confident in their trustworthiness then great, just another option.
That makes good sense although I don't have that problem as the garage that looks after my cars don't actually do the MOTs. They present the car for me then if it fails ring me and ask if I want them to sort it for me.

Anyway that said it has failed 馃槱 on handbrake o/s and a brake pipe.
On the plus side the AC was pressure tested and gassed and is working fine馃榿

My mechanic is going to sort pipe and handbrake problem and represent the car for me.

Premium Member
That makes good sense although I don't have that problem as the garage that looks after my cars don't actually do the MOTs. They present the car for me then if it fails ring me and ask if I want them to sort it for me.

My mechanic is going to sort pipe and handbrake problem and represent the car for me.
Just saw this, sorry to hear John, but, in the grand scheme of things shouldn't be too much to put that right, then all good for another year.

I'm sure you're on top of it and being dealt with asap no doubt

Jim

Premium Member
Sorry to hear that, John. Should be a quick and easy fix for your man and then back on the road.

Premium Member
2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 88K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats

Definitely could be a lot worse John... Once sorted, you're good for another "Jaguars at the..." Event (y):)

Registered
had to bight the bullet myself with my last mot. so many advisories on the suspension.. so i went the full hog and replaced all front and rear suspension components.. all 4 shocks. and 2 rear break callipers that were seized .. handles like a go kart now but i think that would be mostly due to fitting the wrong shocks for my jag..lol

Premium Member
Safety first...good they found dodgy brake.
Absolutely 100%

Better to find out now than when you really need it, and it's not there.

Jim

Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar

That's a ding-dong John :(

Not a nice one to read and feeling your woes but not as bad as it could have been and once she has been fixed by your mechanic and you get the green light again, you'll be MR 2 JAG V8 living the dream for another 12 months with no MOT worries (y):cool:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE. The gorgeous XKR is home with 1 years MOT. A new caliper was required for the rear o/s. Plus 2 new front braided brake hoses, a minor exhaust leak at cat (this was an advisory) fixed, the AC blowing ice cold 馃榿.
Another advisory was left numberplate light flickering, so as soon as got it home I changed the bulb and hey presto no more flickering 馃し.

In all I'm a happy bunny, apart from the 拢846 bill. But you can't put a price on safety, just wish I'd done it myself like I normally do. Serves me right for being lazy 鈽

1 - 20 of 36 Posts