First Time (Potential) Jag Buyer - Some Questions

Mann Incognito

Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving back to the UK after 35 years away and am just closing on a property within the next few days but probably won't be able to move until May at the earliest judging by the way things are going.

I've been shopping around for a car and initially settled on an Audi S6 but boy those things get pricey very quickly! I've now settled on an new XF R-Dynamic AWD P300 which offers much better value for money than the German car even when you add all the toys. I also really appreciate the more subdued styling and more appropriate performance when considering how I'll be driving 90% of the time, and the boy-racer side of me isn't as full on as it used to be. But not being able to see a UK spec car except online, I have a few questions/concerns that I hope someone here is able to answer:

1) The previous model's interior left a lot to desired, it was functional but bland as heck; the new interior looks the business but has it improved in quality/materials used? It was a bit cheap feeling and looking before;

2) Any concerns about the smoothness of the engine overall?;

3) How well does Jag's AWD system work in comparison to Audi's quattro (for eg)? Does it have a RWD bias under normal driving circumstances? How quickly does it adapt to changing driving conditions? The place I'm buying is in Dartmoor so very changeable weather conditions, especially in the winter;

4) Any need for winter tyres?;

5) How well from a logic POV does Jag's infotainment system work?;

6) I'm likely to be ordering from the factory, judging by what I've been told by dealers there's a very slim chance I'll find what I'm looking for in-stock. How reliable is Jag's build scheduling? I'm not in a hurry but I hope to place an order a few days after my property purchase closes.

I'm 90% sure this is the car I'm going to end up getting, but maybe you can convince me to hit 99-100%! ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:

jasz1156

Reaction score
I have a few answers for you and I have a mate with a 2020 RS4. He’s looking to get a JLR as soon as the Rs4 gets repaired from a fault that’s taken 8 weeks to fix. So far.
I have a P300 portfolio albeit a few years old. The upgraded interior is. Certainly the business although I would go for Windsor leather over Taurus.In the uk all the new screens and TFT instrument panel are quick and upgraded over the air.The extras are costly but many are vital 360o camera adaptive cruise 825 w meridian illuminated tread plates etc etc.
As to smoothness the turbo can kick in real hard if you floor it. There is a rumour the factory may do a run with the new ingenium Il6 and that would be the perfect motor at 400 hp.
Can’t comment on 3 and 4 But if it’s same as JlR then no problems
The infotainment is fine if you have the new top of the line. I think it has just changed to the same as Landrover and any new run cars should have that system.( much quicker even now that BMW)
I think the factory does cars in runs. The rumour is they may be about to do a run with the XF but you should ask specifically.

MrKis

Reaction score
Very few people will have sat in a new XF and without doing so, it will be hard to tell what the quality is like. Having said that, I'd expect it to be spot on.
The new Pivi pro infotainment is used in the new Defender and everything I read about it is positive.

LOA

Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving back to the UK after 35 years away and am just closing on a property within the next few days but probably won't be able to move until May at the earliest judging by the way things are going.

I've been shopping around for a car and initially settled on an Audi S6 but boy those things get pricey very quickly! I've now settled on an new XF R-Dynamic AWD P300 which offers much better value for money than the German car even when you add all the toys. I also really appreciate the more subdued styling and more appropriate performance when considering how I'll be driving 90% of the time, and the boy-racer side of me isn't as full on as it used to be. But not being able to see a UK spec car except online, I have a few questions/concerns that I hope someone here is able to answer:

1) The previous model's interior left a lot to desired, it was functional but bland as heck; the new interior looks the business but has it improved in quality/materials used? It was a bit cheap feeling and looking before;

2) Any concerns about the smoothness of the engine overall?;

3) How well does Jag's AWD system work in comparison to Audi's quattro (for eg)? Does it have a RWD bias under normal driving circumstances? How quickly does it adapt to changing driving conditions? The place I'm buying is in Dartmoor so very changeable weather conditions, especially in the winter;

4) Any need for winter tyres?;

5) How well from a logic POV does Jag's infotainment system work?;

6) I'm likely to be ordering from the factory, judging by what I've been told by dealers there's a very slim chance I'll find what I'm looking for in-stock. How reliable is Jag's build scheduling? I'm not in a hurry but I hope to place an order a few days after my property purchase closes.

I'm 90% sure this is the car I'm going to end up getting, but maybe you can convince me to hit 99-100%! ;)

Cheers!
Mann, I can't help you with some of these questions, but I can answer # 3 and # 4. I have a 2016 XF 35t AWD, and live about 90 km northwest of you in Toronto.

I have some experience with AWD with not only the Jag but a V90 T6 AWD (front biased). I just moved from a 2016 Explorer AWD (front drive biased) and now have a 2020 Explorer AWD (rear biased) for work - they drive very differently. Previously I had a SAAB 9-3 XWD (front biased), and over the years I have had many RWD vehicles of varying capabilities power wise.

The Jag is primarily RWD - there is a display setting on the dash that shows the flow of power. The fronts are only driven during starts and extreme acceleration, unless the conditions are really slippery. You really don't notice the AWD system day to day, it is surefooted when in snowy wet conditions here in southern Ontario. The rest of the time you feel standard RWD thrust at anything over about 30 km/hr as long as you aren't burying the accelerator.

Winter tyres are an absolute must - but that is my opinion. I routinely swap out the summer/all seasons for winter tyres mid-November. I had the opportunity to drive an identical XF to mine with summer tyres on it in the snow - there is definitely less grip than with winter tyres.

Good luck with the move!

Last edited: