Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to post this. I normally hang out on the S-Type forum but didn't want to get 'told off' for posting in the wrong bit etc.
Also, most of the advice for S-Type problems are way over my head, so try and keep it simple.

THE PROBLEM:-

My daughter recently brought a 2005 Ford KA. I test drove it and it ran fine. There was a problem with a leaky exhaust but this seemed minor and I was confident that I could repair it for her.
Anyhow, a few days after buying it (and before I repaired the exhaust) it started to run a bit rough. It would only run rough for a little while and then run fine again.
My first thought was the spark plugs so I replaced them and as I was removing the old ones I noticed that the plug leads did not look in the best condition so I replaced them as well, hoping to cure the problem.
However, it was still not running right. In fact, it was worse than before. On the odd occasion it was fine but most of the time it wasn't.
In my wisdom and with my basic knowledge of engines and stuff, I replaced the coil pack. Still no joy and the engine was now running rough most of the time and only on the odd occasion running correctly.
My last ditch attempt at trying to get it to run right was to replace the fuel filter.
Still no joy. It is now running like a pig 100% of the time.
I also checked the air filter/intake and all is fine.

Any idea's?
I've run out of basic mechanical knowledge :(

·
Premium Member
23,737 Posts
MAF sensor or Crank Position sensor may be a place to check/replace.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Too difficult to diagnose without much more info or actually seeing the car. You might as well bite the bullet and take it a local garage you can trust as keep on changing bits in the hope of fixing it could cost more in the long run.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Is it just running rough at idle and a 1.3 petrol ?

If it is - Idle air control valve gunged up / vacuum pipe T piece at rear of engine below rocker cover collapsed.

Additionally , if it is still a HCS Endura engine , it still has valves that need the clearance checking and setting occasionally.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Unplug the maf ( between air filter and throttle body) with car ticking over, if it runs slightly better then it’s probably the maf
Another cause may be the lambda sensor
Best thing is to get it on ford diagnostics
Any lights on dash?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for your input, much appreciated.
I've arranged to have a mechanic to pop round and have a look at it. I'll let you know what he says.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No idea what engine it is.
I think, given a bit of time, some positive encouragement and a couple of litres of scotch, that I could have made a better engine out of some old pallets, some kitchen cling film, some super glue and some cornflakes.

Still waiting for my mechanic to turn up. He is very unreliable but at the same time a very competent mechanic.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well the Endura is basically the Kent engine from the 1959 Ford Anglia, this hateful lump had a crossflow head added in the 60s and lived on until 2002.

Easy to spot as they tick constantly, no matter how well you adjust the tappets and the spark plugs corrode into the tapered seats!

I suspect you have the Duratech 1.3

I would be starting with a good clean of the idle control valve and a basic check for air leaks, if this does not sort things then its live values to check the MAF

·
Registered
441 Posts
The main problem is; it's a Ford! (Sorry, somebody had to!)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update.
She got £84 cash from an online scrappy for the ford box and I am very happy.
After many months of trying to mend the bastard thing, I now have a hot tub, stereo speakers and disco lights in my garage and often enjoy drunken hot tub, loud stereo musicy, disco lighty parties in the space where the Ford used to reside.

As a side note, after the disappointment of buying a lemon, she got a cool job that pays loads of money and she brought a brand new 18 plate Vauxhall Adam.
I was quite sceptical, because it was a Vauxhall, but after razzing around a bit I can confirm that I love it. It's like a little go-cart.

·
Administrator
10,053 Posts
The Vauxhall Adam is an odd name as it’s named after Adam Opel, has odd model version names Jam, Glam and Slam and looks a bit Audi A1ish. Better than a Corsa though and a better styled interior too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think this one may be an Adam Slam. It doesn't have a touch screen. Apparently, touch screens were an extra seven hundred pounds. It still has bluetooth and wifi.
I hate bluetooth and wifi in cars.
Proper cars are rear wheel drive and have the engine mounted the right way round.
Love driving it though, it's like a micro go cart and massive fun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On a side note, she has 14 days to self install her black box telematics young drivers insurance box.
So I have two weeks to rag the **** out of it before she gets in trouble and that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another quick update.
I think that the black box nipper telematrics (sp) box my be a bit over zealous.
I have drove it several times like a vicars granny, and have still lost points for braking, speeding and excessive acceleration.

'/

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update Number 74 (or something).
Daughter passed her driving test which made me immensely happy as I no longer had to refrain from my favourite hobby (drinking vast amounts of scotch) and no longer have to pop the L Plates on and be totally petrified sat in the passenger seat. I also do not have to drive the Adam like a granny after dropping her off at work because of the poxy telematrics box.

Yay!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On the minus side, she is **** at reversing and despite constant reminders to 'message me when you get there' she never has, thus increasing blood pressure/panicking/early heart attack death syndrome or some such.

Poxy kids.

Boo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.