Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some searching on the net regarding Forstner bits and I thought I would share what I have found as others might find it useful. I have almost made up my mind as which ones to purchase, but as they cannot be said to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination, I thought I would also put it out there, in case any members have some advice that would be interesting and valuable while I am still making up my mind.

I do have a couple of sets of these bits already, but they are obviously cheap and of poor quality, as each time I have gone to use them, the outcome has either left me wanting, or has just about done the job with a struggle and a poor finish.

I hasten to add I am very much a DIYer, and am likely to use the bits occasionally, but having said that, if I had a decent set that worked efficiently, maybe things would change and I would use them far more often.

So here we go with the bits of info I have found out thus far, starting with the basics and not going into the fancy Forstner bits like tungsten carbide etc., I found there are the generally accepted 3 blade/rim types:

1) Sawtooth Rims

2) Continuous Rims

3 Wavy Rims

Product Automotive tire Bicycle part Wheel Art

It is the Wavy Rim that seems to have taken my fancy and this is the idea of an Austrian company called Fisch that have been making drill bits for over 75 years.

FISCH-Tools — Ultimate drilling solutions

They developed the wavy rim on a forged drill head which is said to enable them to be exceptionally sharp and stay that way for much longer periods of use. The wavy rim enables the bit to remain cooler for longer and also to be run at faster speeds in the drill, and it is the cooler temperatures, that helps to maintain both the sharpness and longevity, as I understand it.

Fashion accessory Nickel Auto part Titanium Rectangle

Their latest Forstner Wavy Rim bit from Fisch is their 'BLACK SHARK Pro', which is supposedly even quicker, more aggressive and sharper than the others and the link to the article below gives a lot more detail on this Forstner bit:

Fisch Black Shark Forstner Bits Review - Tools in Action

Font Screenshot Parallel Audio equipment

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a couple of YT videos that show the use of the Forstner Bits (FB) I mentioned and why the Fisch one seems to come out on top, but I do accept that if you were to get a promotional video from another make, theirs would most likely shine through too. Anyway, Stumpy Nubs has the sort of demeanor that I like and I would trust what he has to say, well you can take a look and decide for yourself if you would like to ...

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the sound and this is a promotional video like I said earlier but at least you get it from the 'horses mouth' so to speak and it is a quickie ;)

· Registered
6,521 Posts
Ok Ruby
Put us out of our misery!
What are you going to make?

• Haha
Reactions: JimC64 and Ruby351

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Ruby
Ha-ha-ha ducmon, love it ... nothing planned just got itchy palms and a need to spend some money :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now we come down to the money and you wouldn't believe how many times I have looked through the big 'A' as well as trawling through various other suppliers to get an idea of what sets are on offer at what price. I think I would prefer metric but imperial seems a tad cheaper and do I really care :unsure:

The full set of 16 standard wavy bits is around £220 but do I need that many, then again, if I get a set of 5 or 7 bits and add to them as and when needed, that will very quickly pass the £200 mark with far less than the 16 bits, oh my, what a ta-doo ... sleep on it is the best answer and I have already done that for a week or so and still no decision made.

Here are a few prices I have put together to give you an idea, and I am not fused about a fancy wooden box to store them in, although of course it does keep them in one place, as on the other hand, I could always make a little shelf/rack/box myself come to that and then they would always be handy when needed.

Musical instrument Font Office equipment Technology Rectangle

Reactions: JimC64

· Premium Member
18,883 Posts
Ok Ruby
Lol that's what I was wondering?

I'm thinking to myself Forstner bits.......Go on Gina, better tool box collection than me and a few others I'll bet

Jim

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol that's what I was wondering?

I'm thinking to myself Forstner bits.......Go on Gina, better tool box collection than me and a few others I'll bet

Jim
There must be something wrong with me for sure, I just love having the right tools for the job, even when there is no job :rolleyes:

Got a few bits & bobs from Lidl yesterday, couple more sturdy 30cm clamps, another type of Japanese saw and one for a friend, 100 wedges, metal plates and a box various metal washers - just like a kid in a sweet shop I was .

· Registered
6,521 Posts
This is not fair Ruby! There seems to be a a lot of discrimination here if I as a man spent time looking through the big A just to buy something just in case I may need it one day. Whilst you can just buy anything you want.
:rolleyes:

iit is very strange because I was having this sort of conversation with a big hairy Scottish friend yesterday about how his wife was complaining about the number of packets that have been arriving recently.

We both are limited on our spending even in Lidl and god help me if I go into the building supplies and just glance to tool racks. 😭

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Ruby351 and JimC64

· Premium Member
18,883 Posts
This is not fair Ruby! There seems to be a a lot of discrimination here if I as a man spent time looking through the big A just to buy something just in case I may need it one day. Whilst you can just buy anything you want.

iit is very strange because I was having this sort of conversation with a big hairy Scottish friend yesterday about how his wife was complaining about the number of packets that have been arriving recently.

We both are limited on our spending even in Lidl and god help me if I go into the building supplies and just glance to tool racks. 😭

Stop it Ducmon, you're killing me here :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

· Registered
979 Posts
Now we come down to the money and you wouldn't believe how many times I have looked through the big 'A' as well as trawling through various other suppliers to get an idea of what sets are on offer at what price. I think I would prefer metric but imperial seems a tad cheaper and do I really care :unsure:

The full set of 16 standard wavy bits is around £220 but do I need that many, then again, if I get a set of 5 or 7 bits and add to them as and when needed, that will very quickly pass the £200 mark with far less than the 16 bits, oh my, what a ta-doo ... sleep on it is the best answer and I have already done that for a week or so and still no decision made.

Here are a few prices I have put together to give you an idea, and I am not fused about a fancy wooden box to store them in, although of course it does keep them in one place, as on the other hand, I could always make a little shelf/rack/box myself come to that and then they would always be handy when needed.

View attachment 60720
To be fair I'd not come across the wave cutter: it's a long time since I bought a Forstner.

But if you can scrape the dosh together I'd suggest going for the 16pc Black Shark set. The better the tool the better the performance and, equally importantly, the more enjoyment using it.
Whenever I've replaced something I've always upgraded.

· Registered
258 Posts
Ruby,
I am not a carpenter or what I would call a serious woodworker.
Bought a set of HF Forstner bits and used them only occasionally.
They appeared to work fine for me, with smooth cuts and no splintering.
I only use them at a slow speed on my drill press but i'm never in a rush.
Since I only need them rarely, I don't see any need for an expensive replacement.
When I had the opportunity to buy a set that were titanium coated I bought them.
I passed to older set along to my sister and haven't had any chance to use the new ones.

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be fair I'd not come across the wave cutter: it's a long time since I bought a Forstner.

But if you can scrape the dosh together I'd suggest going for the 16pc Black Shark set. The better the tool the better the performance and, equally importantly, the more enjoyment using it.
Whenever I've replaced something I've always upgraded.
Many thanks for the advice John (y)

I must admit to being suitably impressed with the wavy rim bits, and that is sound advice about performance and pleasure - I know this from the opposite ends with my poor quality Forstner bits and becoming vexed and disappointed.

I have almost convinced myself to get the 16 piece standard Fisch set ... now you have got me thinking should I wait a bit and talk myself into getting the Black Shark set :eek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: restorer

· Premium Member
5,751 Posts
What they like going thru the nails, like real world? Irwin are pretty good on the hazards.

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

You are so funny ducmon!!!

I must tell you though, all is not quite as it may seem, although I invariably get there in the end :sneaky:

After dwelling for over a week on these said Forstner bits and some Hole Saw bits as I have just purchased a new fandangle quick release thingamajig from Bosch ...

Font Audio equipment Electronic device Cable Electronics accessory

I thought I would discuss my thoughts with my bestest friend as I was feeling a little guilty about spending such large sums of money on items I probably wouldn't use all that often, so I went to speak with Anita and said I was thinking of spending about £80 on the Forstners and £95 on a selection of the Hole saws. Her reaction to both was as though she had just been struck around the chops with a wet fish and that was quickly followed up with a rip-roaring laugh and words to the effect of "are you mad?" and "what do you want them for?". Great I thought to myself, ice is broken and the path forward has been laid, as I came back with some equally disparaging retort and walked out with a somewhat exaggerated glum and disgruntled demeanor and scene firmly set.

Nothing said until the following day, when I quietly said "I can't believe you laughed when I mentioned about those drill bits yesterday", to which the response was, "I didn't, I said if that's what you want, then you get them", now the problem I have is that the price has increased a little ... ho-hum never mind, I have been given the go ahead after all.

• Haha

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ruby,
I am not a carpenter or what I would call a serious woodworker.
Bought a set of HF Forstner bits and used them only occasionally.
They appeared to work fine for me, with smooth cuts and no splintering.
I only use them at a slow speed on my drill press but i'm never in a rush.
Since I only need them rarely, I don't see any need for an expensive replacement.
When I had the opportunity to buy a set that were titanium coated I bought them.
I passed to older set along to my sister and haven't had any chance to use the new ones.
Thanks for the info equiprx (y)

Nice of you to pass you old set onto your sister, makes sense to let someone have use of them rather than let them sit gathering dust as you have your new titanium set waiting to be used when you are good and ready.

I think I have settled on the Fisch wavy rim, as these can be used at a faster setting. I have a drill press but to be honest I'm not all that handy at changing the speed setting, so this was one advantage that the Fisch set has, and like you, I am never in a hurry so can take my time with frequent lifting of the bit to clear the chips and aid cooling of the bit as well.

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What they like going thru the nails, like real world? Irwin are pretty good on the hazards.
Excellent point, and I think that given the price of the Fisch bits I wouldn't be using them in any work pieces where there was a risk of metal being present, so only new timber would be used.

This is why I am also going to purchase the hole saws from Bosch as they will go though metal as well. The new quick release arbor I have just bought seems like a great idea, as the old hole saws I have are far too fiddly and prevent me from using them, I just can't be bothered to set them up, and to be honest, they are a fairly cheap set, so again, like the Forstners I have, they need to be upgraded.

I have in the past used a lot of broken up pallets to get wood to use, and although I have taken out the nails from these, invariably, I have missed some, but I would never use decent Forstner bits on this type of wood.

· Registered
6,521 Posts
I know the feeling about metal in wood. I always have at least two spare chains for my chainsaw when I go to the forest.

The trees in my forest are full of shrapnel because of the shelling. I have found over 30 foxholes and at least 3 artillery positions.

It just takes one piece of metal and the chain is blunt and I have to resharpen it..

· Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I have those holesaws and they are pretty good and i beat them to death. The arbor is a weak point, after a while the pilot drill starts to come out with the saw when you qwik release and stick in the waste. Probably never happen to a hobby user.

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have just purchased the hole saws now, and so I will have two of the quick release arbors and I take your point about the weak point as I did come across this in the YT clips I saw some where along the line, although I did think the same thing, that with the very little use I would be putting it/them through, I would probably be okay. 🤞

Font Cameras & optics Gadget Camera accessory Electronic device

1 - 20 of 64 Posts